Kershaw Iridium ..... ?

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
So 2023 saw the Iridium ..
And if you get on Utube , you can see all the knife reviewers GUSHING over this knife ! It's kind of sickening . & I say that cos there is a Iridium in my hand . ( No not as I type this ) . Here in Oz , the cheapest Iridium runs some $135 bananas to your door and the highest priced one runs $165 + postage .
That's a lot of bananas for what to me looks N feels like a $50 knife . I have sharpened mine cos the edge was a little howdy doody .. Yeah it sliced paper , but the edge did look a little howdy doody under magnification .. So testing the factory edge ?

I was watching the reviews 23 and they just forced me to get a Iridium . Cos when people GUSH over a knife (?) , you really have to wonder why ? I post this pre test cos I have found no reason to GUSH over this knife . So far it is no better than you average Chinese knife , and where the tell will be is cutting rope ! My other Kershaw I bought because people were GUSHING over it , kind of fell on it's face when it came to edge retention . Bolted together real nice , butt ... The performance did not match the hype ! And the hype on this one is next level ! The reviewers so far sound like starry eyed school girls gushing over some TV hotty !

About to go outside and give the Iridium a run for it's money - No wait ! = That's my money !

Lets see .........

Resharpened I got some 550 slices of rope for a Fail . ( Failed to slice printer paper cleanly )
Now , 550 slices is above average for D2 .. So it does deliver on performance .
The blade is very thin , and as such slices very well . The thin blade may even have helped with edge retention or the ability to keep cutting .
The spine is crisp enough to scrape wood & ferro , making the knife a very nice fire starter . ( Bushcrafty )
In no way would I describe the blade as strong or durable as I was able to flex it relatively easily with my bare hands .

2 issues for me .. The front of the grip / handle that acts a little like a guard is a little too vertical for me . If you try to push your hand forward you are creating a hot spot .. The other issue is blade play ... Not side to side , but rather front and back rock against the lock ! On a $100+ banana knife , that is unacceptable . ( Oz bananas ) . It's a decent knife when you don't take money into consideration ...
Butt ... Ganzo , Civivi , QSP , Ontario , Artisan , TwoSun , Real Steel , Bestech , Kubey , Ikiv , CH , CJRB make decent knives that might represent better value (?) . ( To name just a few )
I think that this knife really needs a price adjustment to make it ???? Stand out in the market ! Not really sure gushing reviews are going to justify this knives price point ( Value for money ) , especially when knives costing more than 50% less can equal or better build quality / performance !

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I have a vast Kershaw collection. Having said that..... Oh heck no!
Budget D2! Screw that! I'd rather not have my knife blade snap in half while requiring laser-sharpening equipment to put an edge back on it. No, thank you.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I say screw what internet dweebs are gushing over. You seem like you have good instincts. Follow your own gut, not the schoolgirls.

But then, I'm old school. I ONLY buy USA made, lifetime warranty, Buck brand knives - top grade steel selections, superior edge retention, and great designs. I could get a lot of Buck for what you paid for that chinese howdy doody hacker.:twak:

Good luck man.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hehehehe .... I did not pay retail ! & I own 100's of knives ...
Most of my US made ones are the older previous generation knives .
My Fav US made knife is a pre WW2 Remington R2213 in Stainless steel .. ( In spectacular condition for it's age )

Last edited: