Help Finding a Reliable Pen Light

LightNub

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody, I'm new here and need some help. I am not a sophisticated light owner like you all but have an eye for quality.

I am searching for a new penlight to carry around with me. The 4sevens Preon 2 and the Fenix LD05 both seem like great options for me, but are more than I was looking to spend. Maybe you guys know some other brands/models that fit my needs and will be a bit less expensive.

What is important to me

• Pocket Clip
  • AAA batteries (thin and easy to replace. 2 preferred for added battery time, 1 ok...)
  • Click on/off (I hate the twist on lights)
  • 2 Modes (I want at least a high and a low mode so that I can use low regularly without eating up much battery, but have a high power option when I need it.)
  • Will hold up to daily use/carry
I have found some other lights that may fit the bill looking around here, for example the Maratac AAA Q5 seems well recommended and about right, but I would really rather a 2*AAA light that can be brighter and last longer since the extra length/weight is not a problem for me where I carry my light.

If you guys have any lights off the top of your head that meet my needs, please let me know, all suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance!

LightNub

Newly Enlightened
Well, I just bit the bullet and ordered the Preon 2. After quite a bit of searching I couldn't find anything other 2xAAA lights that has a pocket clip and multiple modes which really surprises me. If anybody comes up with another light besides these two I'd still be interested to hear it. Thanks.

speedsix

Enlightened
I am interested as well. I want to give a pen light as a gift to a co-worker who uses a cheap plastic disposable pen light.

AutoTech

Enlightened
I read this and was going to say get the preon 2, but you already did :twothumbs

I bought the led lenser p4 and it's really a weak little light, the only good thing about it is the look of the beam when twisted out to flood. I bought it for work and it's next to useless really. I wish I hadn't wasted my money on it (cost me £20 too) but then I didn't even know the preon 2 existed until 2 days after I bought the LL when I found this place!

When I started researching lights on here and youtube I could have kicked myself in the nuts when I saw the output of the preon 2 :ohgeez:

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think most people who use penlights don't need sunlight-bright lights, thus the reduced power output of most penlights. If he's carrying around a cheapy, maybe an Icon Solo would have been a good choice. Plenty bright, cheap, stylish, and thus far reliable. But alas, the Preon is on its way!

Last edited:

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too was going to encourage you to spring for the Preon 2 but I thought it best to respect your budget. At the end of the day I think you'll find it money well spent. Hope you were able to take advantage of the CPF member discount they offer. If not perhaps they will make an adjustment for you, their customer service is usually very responsive.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a thin pocket light , I personally prefer a twisty as they are a bit shorter than a clicky ... I have two ITP A2s , one in stainless and the other black ... I use these clipped into jacket pockets.

I also have an ITP A3 in stainless on my house key-ring and an ITP A3 in titanium on my car key-ring ... These have proved to be totally reliable and suit my particular needs perfectly.

All my ITPs are three mode including the black ITP A1 which lives beside my bed.

I find that if the diameter of the torch is very small (as in AAA torches) the clicky is more awkward for me to press easily , whereas the twisty is very much easier to use ... I have tried several AAA clickies and in each case I have had to prod my thumb or finger quite deeply into the tiny rubber button to switch the torch on or off ... Hence my preference for the tiny twisties.

All my bigger torches are clickies so it's only the tiny torches that are twisties.

In all fairness , one of the even smaller ITP A3 single mode torches would probably be better since if I really need a multi-mode torch then I would take one of my Solarforce L2's or L2i's which use 18650 batteries ... These are still pocketable particularly when fitted with the plain bezel ... I use mine for dog-walking mainly.

I have had some fountain-pen torches but they were all single mode 2AAA torches ... To switch them on , you had to press the pocket clip onto the torch body ... When you released the pressure on the clip , the light went off ... So they were "momentary" lights ... These are all now in use by the Grandchildren who don't mind about the switch types.

Good luck with your new purchase (or should I say purchases).

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a Terralux Lightstar 80? It does maybe about 60 lumens (manufacturer says 80), has a higher cri, takes 2 AAAs and is very affordable. Here is a thread about it.

ama230

Enlightened
Another great contender is the Icon Solo and they have recently upgraded the output. Hands down they win for styling and/ or design. The beam is warm and the clip is really strong and tight. Then for the runtimes is also one of the best for 2aaa's. Radioshack has them for 14.99 right now as they were 25. Great little light,

Just a suggestion and not anyway affiliated in anyway. Just a superfan of paul kim... : )

Others suggest on here a streamlight 2aaa penlight as these are pretty well known on here to work great.

LightNub

Newly Enlightened
So the Preon 2 has arrived and it is indeed perfect. The low setting is exactly the right level for most of my day to day uses, and the bright options are surprisingly bright.

Thank you everybody who has answered. This can continue rolling if people find other lights that meet the specs or as new lights come out... For the time being I will post here a list of all the lights people have mentioned that fit the requirements in the OP, in case somebody has the same question in the future.

Preon 2 - 4sevens
LD05 - Fenix
Solo - Icon
EPLI - Brite Strike
PN20a2 - EagleTac

I bolded the Icon solo because it is the only one that is really in a lower pricing tier than the others... I probably would have went with it had I found it first, but oh well I am really happy with the preon.

The Streamlight Stylus Pro and TerraLux Lightstar 80 both look like good options too although they both only have a single mode... ITP A3 also seems great, but only has 1 AAA.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
ITP A3 also seems great, but only has 1 AAA.
The ITP A2 is not a lot bigger than the ITP A3 and uses a single AA which has more capacity than two AAA batteries ... Comes with a nice pocket clip too.

I use the A3's on keyrings and the A2's clipped in my inside jacket pockets ... Perfect.

Good prices too.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ITP A2 is not a lot bigger than the ITP A3 and uses a single AA which has more capacity than two AAA batteries ... Comes with a nice pocket clip too.

I use the A3's on keyrings and the A2's clipped in my inside jacket pockets ... Perfect.

Good prices too.

I'm a fan of the ITP lights too but since the OP was specifically looking for a "Pen" light, if you want to start considering AAs how about the Quark Mini AA²?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I am interested as well. I want to give a pen light as a gift to a co-worker who uses a cheap plastic disposable pen light.

Since your co-worker is likely used to penlights with single output, the Streamlight Stylus Pro would be a good choice. Available in a variety of colors. Tailcap switch just a bit too soft. But that's the only very minor drawback. The Icon Solo is a good penlight as well. But is only available in light blue. And, it's not always going to be someone's favorite color.

Price for the SL Stylus Pro is just right too.

persyce

Newly Enlightened
I think the iTP A3 upgrade is one of the best keychain lights. You can not go wrong with this torch!

AutoTech

Enlightened
My Preon 2 arrived last week. Not a bad little light, the clicky switch is a bit agricultural feeling but it's a bit different to my led lenser p4 in terms of output! Impressive for up close work but comparing it to my st10 at 6" from wall hotspot is same, at 12" the hotspot doubles in size on the preon and at 5-6 foot preon's hotspot is starting to merge into one large output whereas the st10 is still outputting a 6" hotspot. I think it's comparable in terms of output but I think I was expecting a bit more of a wow, trouble with spoiling yourself with too many lights and watching too many enthusiastic reviews. Certainly a great 'penlight' but won't be replacing my klarus as my edc.