Help in Building an Urban Emergency Kit

rocketmaninphx

Newly Enlightened
As far as the swisstech, I've had it inspected several times and they always let it pass. They look closer at the ARC LS.

But I hear you on what is allowed. Not very consistant. I fully expect someday to have it taken away.

paulr

Flashaholic
Slightly OT but I've decided my next keychain "knife" is going to be a P-38. It only has about 1/2" of blade, but that's plenty for opening boxes or cleaning fingernails, which is all I usually want with a keychain knife, plus it's strong enough to punch through metal (it's a can opener), plus it costs just 25 cents so I won't mind if it gets taken at an airport. There are, however, a lot of online sob stories about Vietnam and even WW2 veterans getting sentimentally attached to their issue P-38's after carrying them on their keychains for 35+ years, only to get them confiscated at an airport.

MichiganMan

Enlightened
"I remember back in '42. I was on the front of the front line. We'd just been knocked on our *** by a panzer attack. I was the last in my squad still able to fight. We had already been short on ammunition but it didn't matter because my rifle jammed just as two dozen gerries came charging over the hill. They must've been low on ammo too because every damn one of them had bayonets fixed and were charging straight at my foxhole. My bayonet was a too distant memory, lost while running through a mortar attack two weeks ago. As they closed I realized that the fate of my wounded squad, my company, whether my whole battalion got flanked that day, rested on me and my trusty P-38..."

bgenlvtex

Newly Enlightened
I carried a P38 for quite some time but found that it had the nasty habit of unfolding and jabbing me in the /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif. I gave it to a "friend" who wears looser clothing.

symes

Enlightened
OK, not coke can, but if you really mean "urban emergency" probably should include a medium sized halligan tool, and a basic bloodstopping med kit (4x4s, 5x7s and bags of triangulars...)

The halligan is for breaking into the drug store once society falls apart and you need life saving meds...or just finding a roof for the night...

NB: the author does not recommend or advise effecting unlawful entry into drug stores if society has NOT broken down...

If you work a few stories up, then you can always consider a small (100') firefighter escape kit... Great talking point at parties...

george9c1

Newly Enlightened
For winter use, "Toasti-Toes" or other brand chemical foot-warmers. They take up little space, and if you ever get caught out in the cold with inadequate footwear or soaking wet shoes these will make a huge difference.

littlebulton19

Newly Enlightened
How to Create an Urban Emergency Evacuation Kit for Work?

Natural and man made disasters can force offices full of workers to evacuate. In big cities a disaster may also affect public transportation. In an emergency, you may be on your own and forced to improvise. Here's how to create an Urban Emergency Evacuation Kit that you should store at work in the event of an emergency to keep you safe and prepared.

Source: http://www.wikihow.com/Create-an-Urban-Emergency-Evacuation-Kit-for-Work

Emergency Water

Dr Jekell

Enlightened
littlebulton19

You may want to pay attention to the little section on the top left of each post it is the date the previous people posted their posts.

You will notice this thread is 6 years old & the link to the water makes your post look like spam.

NosHusky

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a premade one and threw in a reflective blanket, a sleeping mat and some MREs in a duffel bag.

probably need some water bottles or a 1gal of water (changed every 6 months of non use)

StuToffee

Newly Enlightened
If you cant fit in a full-size snaplight, how about afew of the tiny ones used for night fishing. Same stuff & just as bright.

Id also add a dust mask or bandanna & some water, even a small vial (someting the size of a pop-bottle preform?) could be used to moisten the mask, clean a wound, an eye bath or (obviously!) to drink.

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's one of mine, in a small Otterbox:

Modular Personal Survival Kit (PSK)

Knife: Spyderco Ladybug, fully serrated
Light: Arc-AAA Premium DS
Fire: Waterproof/Windproof Matches

Signaling:
- Arc-AAA Premium DS
- Whistle: Titanium whistle by wykeite
- Mini Glow Stick
- Mirror

Emergency Devices:
- Spyderco Ladybug
- Leatherman Juice CS4
- Micro Widgy Mini Prybar
- Kevlar Thread
- 3x Needles
- 3x Safety Pins
- 4x Paper Clips (medium and large)
- 2x Nails
- Spectra Line
- 2x Fishing Hooks
- Stainless Steel Snare Wire

Fire:
- Flint and Steel: Spark-Lite
- 2x Tinder-Quik (in mini Ziplocs, used as fillers to deaden shake/noise)
- 3x Waterproof/Windproof Matches
- Fresnel Lens
- Birthday Candle

Medical:
- Diphenhydramine, allergy (Benadryl)
- Naproxen, anti-inflammatory (Aleve)
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
- Antiseptic Wipe
- Burn Cream
- 4x Sterile Suture Bandages
- 2x Band-Aids

Water: