HELP: looking for 4000 lumens

T4R06

Enlightened
its been a while since i visited the site.. i need your help guys.
im looking for a powerful light at least 4000 lumens.

anything that you recommend? it should has to be strobe or flash mode.

thanks in advance.

Last edited:

jahxman

Enlightened
Re: HELP: looking for 2000 lumens

Well, since you posted this in the LED section, I'm assuming you want an LED light that puts out 2000 lumens - a pretty rare beast as far as production lights go. If you're talking HID there are several choices, but I am going to assume you nare asking about LED based lights.

A new production light announced by Olight that supposedly generates over 2000 lumens is the Olight SR90, which uses the Luminus Phlatlight SST-90 emitter. There is a link in the dealers section over on the marketplace for this light, and it is available from the various Olight dealers.

There is also the XTAR D30 Howitzer, which now claims 2000 lumens and uses 3 Cree MC-E emitters. A thread can be found in the marketplace about this beast.

Other possibilities in the LED realm would be the ElectroLumens FireSword (3000+ lumens), and some custom modder built lights that can be found on the Modified and Custom sections of this forum.

There are more production lights coming which use the Luminus Phlatlight SST-90 emitter, such as some of the 4Sevens Maelstrom line, of which the S1800 would come close but not quite meet the 2000 lumen request. Others may be in the works and just not announced yet.

jahxman

Enlightened
Um.....ok now you edited your post to state 4000 lumens instead of 2000. :thinking:

The SR90 (2200 lumens) was the only light previously mentioned that had a strobe mode.

I think the only way you would get a 4000 Lumen LED beast with strobe would be to commision one from one of the expert builders here. No production LED flashlights exist at the moment at this level, and probably for good reason.

The ElectroLumens Firesword comes closest in the lumens department at 3000, but ElectroLumens also occasionally makes a Kong-12 by request, rated at 10,800 lumens. No strobe though, but who knows, for $1500 maybe you could convince Wayne to put one in.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why do you need that much light? 4000 lumens is 3*100W lightbulbs.

I suggest checking out the big guns in the incandescent or HID forums.

The best single die LED SST-90 can only do 2250 lumens at 9 AMPS. That is 60% of a typical 15A household circuit.
To get 4000 lumens you will need 16A, enough to blow the typical 15A fuse in a household fusebox.

The closest production flashlight is the FireSword IV at ~3000 lumens. Single mode, no strobe.
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=187587

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
unless of course the op found a way to pack a CSM-360 into a mag and a battery that can provide 13 volts and 6 amps for an hour or so....rated at 6000 lumens at the emitter...i at least want to attempt it, but when a single bulb says "call for a quote" i wanna make sure i can do it before i buy it lol

T4R06

Enlightened
sorry guys.. i just estimated my lumens needs :)

im a microwave engineer so i need a light that can strobe or flash at least like 10miles. to be able to see if there is a line of sight etc..
althought i have this software that can verify but just making sure you know.

ok now i think the best question is what flashlight that is visible at least 10mile if it has a line of sight.

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
sorry guys.. i just estimated my lumens needs :)

im a microwave engineer so i need a light that can strobe or flash at least like 10miles. to be able to see if there is a line of sight etc..
althought i have this software that can verify but just making sure you know.

ok now i think the best question is what flashlight that is visible at least 10mile if it has a line of sight.

how good is your aim? lol at 10 miles i think you would be very hard pressed to see any light except a very well collimated HID or carbon arc lamp. Perhaps a lighthouse? I wish i knew more about how fast light dissipates, but it sounds like you may need a laser and some good mapping/azimuth software.

jahxman

Enlightened
What you need is throw, not necessarliy lumens - some HIDs might do it, not really sure what wattage and reflector is necessary to be visible at 10 miles, that's a question for the HID and incan forum.

What I would wonder, though, is a whether good strong laser would be visible, if you can aim it at the target microwave receiver accurately enough. I would think a 200 mw laser should be easily visible at 10 miles, if you are within the beam and visibility is clear. Probably only puts out about 100 - 200 lumens, but it is pure collimated photons. A green one should be easy to pick out from any other light sources.

But I am not an expert, and would have to test this to really know. Hard to find 10 mile line of sight testing sites to try my 100 mw green laser with, especially where I live - I would need at least 30 meter towers at each end, or some combination of relative heights above the ground equalling something like 60 meters. Of course this is why those microwave transmitters are always up high...

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Isn't the Maxabeam considered one of the better products out there for throw?
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/199795

MB-001.jpg

Question for the OP:

Would you like this thread in the:
  • LED section (gets you 'strobe', or the super-thrower called DEFT)
  • Incan section (gets you massive outputs with the possibility of good throw)
  • or the HID section (gets you massive throw)
You might like it moved to the applicable section by a mod - just a suggestion.

Last edited:

Nos

Enlightened
You dont need that much throw to be seen from 10 miles away. Its a whole different term "to see with a light" or "be seenwith a light"

with a big reflector any HID should do fine...

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nos, depends on background light pollution too. OP didn't specify this was undeveloped area, could just as easily be line of sight between buildings and subdivisions.

A good set of binocular's will do a lot to improve the visibility of the final solution, add a 30watt HID with someone waving infront interupting the beam to 'strobe' it may hit the req's?

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
T4RO6; Check out the "WiseLed Tactical 2000" it states in the specs that it can be used for signaling up to 10 miles in clear weather. Also check out my review of it in the review section. It is the light you need.

Apollo Cree

Enlightened
Being seen at 10 miles doesn't seem all that hard. You can easily see clearance lights on radio towers at 10 miles and they don't seem that bright. Even mercury vapor lights streetlights are often visible at 10 miles.

If you have an idea where to point it, I'd bet you wouldn't need anything that bright as long as it's reasonably well focused.

Find yourself somewhere you know you can see 10 miles. Mountain top, existing radio tower, etc. Do some experimenting. I'll bet even the $39 Stanley 200 lumen light or the $50 Coleman 500 lumen light would be visible. Sweep it back and forth slowly along the horizon and talk to the person who's watching.

Will you have one person signaling and another one watching? Will they be in radio or cell phone contact?

A powerful camera flash unit might be another choice. Figure out how make it flash manually with the maximum light level.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you really need 4000 lumens, I'd honestly forget about LEDs and look at HID spotlights. Sure, you could theoretically buy or make an LED torch that could crank out that much light, but it would be *extremely* expensive.

As an example, I just bought a Sunforce 35 Watt HID spotlight that has been proven by other CPF members to easily illuminate buildings 1 mile away. That may not sound too special, but considering that it only cost $90, it's a pretty cost effective way to go if you're looking at dollars/throw ratio. As a comparison, one of the furthest throwing LED lights, the DEFT, starts out at $200 and goes up from there depending on what options you want.