Help me choose new EDC light better than HDS

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been carrying HDS rotary 200lm for several years and other iterations of Henrys lights for more than 10 yrs. however, it feels out of date especially after foray into v54 lights over past 2 months. I like the bulletproof design and feel of the HDS lights especially the versatility of the variable output rotary. but the output and tints really leave a lot to be desired. I am asking your opinion about an alternative light that is similar size, weight, build construction but higher output. Prefer full range of output from 5-10 lumens all the way to 1000! I carry in a holster on the belt. No budget limit. The closest candidates I have right now to winning the EDC spot are: swm vr11vn, manker e14vn

Thanks!

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
While those two mentioned may be brighter than an HDS, I'd hardly call them better.

I don't EDC my 170 Clicky, since I'm generally able to carry a Malkoff MD2 or Elzetta Bravo. I only choose it when small size and output flexibility matters more than anything else.

To meet the output and quality requirements, my recommendation is the Moddoolar Pocket Clicky, with V5 Wasp head, a TL35 body, and DiamondBack tailcap. It'll be roughly the same length as the Rotary (I can't confirm since I sold my TL35) but a fair bit thicker. The XP-L version has an output range between .18 and 1933 lumens, but the levels can be thoroughly programmed.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Cant say better as subjective, maybe try a gizmo...........few flavours to pick. Maybe send to tana for a triple conversion(this is a nichia 219B 4500k)

For size

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally go for a light that meets my needs, and try to research a little about the brand. I currently EDC an Acebeam EC32 which has performed flawlessly for over a year through constant usage, and dropping on concrete.

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks all for the suggestions. I like the moddoolar idea. Will look further into that although oveready site always sold out

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're working on a new B.O.S.S. light, so the Wasp heads won't be available again until next year. They are offered on the CPF Mall on a regular basis.

Right now, I've got 7 different programs saved to Google Drive, which I can access and install from any computer (or smart phone). This reminds me that I haven't created a program for primary CR123s yet. I'll do that tonight.

Last edited:

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're working on a new B.O.S.S. light, so the Wasp heads won't be available again until next year. They are offered on the CPF Mall on a regular basis.

Right now, I've got 7 different programs saved to Google Drive, which I can access and install from any computer (or smart phone). This reminds me that I haven't created a program for primary CR123s yet. I'll do that tonight.

I recently got a v5 triple dropin and I'm left a bit wanting for highest output on two cells, which seems similar to turbo on one cell. I do love the nichia tint though. It's just so beautiful.

Newlumen

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you ask me, i will recommend eagtac g25c2vn. 1260 lumen/ 100k lux.. 630m throw. This light is very powerful. You got high lumen and high throw in one compact 18650 light. Gl.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been contemplating getting a G25C2vn or S200C2vn for it's throw, and mounting it on an AR, for a while now. If you'd like more throw and can tolerate the increase in size, then it would be worth serious consideration. I don't know how well they would work in an EDC role.

After I bought the XP-L Wasp, I picked up a V4.1 Nichia Wasp from The Mall, with the intention of upgrading it to a V5. Due to the limits of the 219, it likely has roughly the same output as the V5. I also wasn't blown away by the Nichia's output. The XP-L takes the Wasp to a whole other level of awesome when used with two cells...219=really good, and XP-L=unreal (considering size). Running the XP-L on one cell blocks the upper levels, but all that's needed is a TL65 or TL100 body to take advantage of the modularity of the system.

The XP-L's hot spot is considerable brighter, dramatically increasing the throw distance. I actually prefer the XP-L's tint to the Nichia's slightly rosiness.

Last edited:

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks all for the suggestions. I'm really liking looks of wasp. Not sure how easily available these are. I'm not impressed by the v5 triple nichia. I've relegated it to a stainless steel solarforce host which is very nice to carry, but looking for something brighter. OR p60s are kinda pricey though

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about a Hanko Trident? I don't own one but have read nothing but good about them. There is also the OKluma DC mini.
That is what I came here to suggest. It is the cream of the crop out of the box. Simply outstanding light with amazing machining.
If that isn't in your budget, next up is a Sinner Triple. I have a Cu and Ti. Both are amazing for the price.
So a Hanko or a Sinner are my suggestions.

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is what I came here to suggest. It is the cream of the crop out of the box. Simply outstanding light with amazing machining.
If that isn't in your budget, next up is a Sinner Triple. I have a Cu and Ti. Both are amazing for the price.
So a Hanko or a Sinner are my suggestions.

Thanks, but I'm not well versed in these custom lights. Can you provide some links for info and where to buy please?

tonkem

Enlightened
May not be the same level of durability, but I carry the Zebralight SC63. 1300 lumens on max, and very versatile, and small.... my .02

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, but I'm not well versed in these custom lights. Can you provide some links for info and where to buy please?
I'd start by joining the Facebook groups "Flashlight Fanatics" and "Hanko Machine Works". Plenty of guys there can help you with any questions you have about the high end customs. From Hankos to Sinners, Lux RCs, Tanas (TnC), OKluma, McGizmo, Cool Fall, not to mention guys there who build custom lights to customer specs. Here I'd take a stroll through the customer builder and modder's subforum http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?92-CPF-Custom-Flashlight-Builders-and-Modders

ven

Flashaholic
Just to add to the awesome suggestions, how about the latest oveready option on the horizon............B.O.S.S

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd start by joining the Facebook groups "Flashlight Fanatics" and "Hanko Machine Works". Plenty of guys there can help you with any questions you have about the high end customs. From Hankos to Sinners, Lux RCs, Tanas (TnC), OKluma, McGizmo, Cool Fall, not to mention guys there who build custom lights to customer specs. Here I'd take a stroll through the customer builder and modder's subforum http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?92-CPF-Custom-Flashlight-Builders-and-Modders

Thanks, I'll consider this with trepidation as I've already spent more than I should....

ven

Flashaholic
No, not yet but i give up too, as they will sell out fast ,so dont even bother much anymore tbh...............only ends in disappointment. Still waiting for a black triad tail cap.............