• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Help me choose the right Haiku and Mule (Hi CRI vs XML and AA vs 123)

tangfj

Newly Enlightened
I'm almost set in putting in my first order for 2 McGizmo flashlights. I mainly want to use these as EDC lights around the house and for walking my dog/etc. I'm still a bit torn on the Haiku whether or not to get Hi CRI or XML. I think the XML would be more useful for me since it has more spill and generally seems brighter but one of my main objectives with my first purchase is flexibility both with the heads I chose as well as the battery packs (I really want the flexibility of using AA's I have around the house - mostly Eneloops).

The two I'm considering are below:

Haiku Hi CRI (https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/298311)

• 1x123
  • 1/4x20 Ti Clip with pair of titanium screws (#4040 x 3/16")

Mule Hi CRI (https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/298316)

• 1xAA(w/14500) OR 2xAA(with ANY AA)
  • 1/4x20 Ti Clip with pair of titanium screws (#4040 x 3/16")

I have a few questions for you experts out there:

1. Will ANY AA battery work? Eneloop/etc? or would I have to use 14500? --> answered this myself through research... for the 3S it appears I could only use 14500 with 1xAA and any AA with 2xAA
  2. How does the Haiku and Mule handle with the 2xAA?
  3. Will my battery packs be interchangeable? (I'm thinking it'd be great to have access to readily available AA's when necessary)
  4. If I decided on a Haiku with XML instead of CRI, would I still interchange the battery packs if I used 14500 instead of AA?
  5. Is bead blasting an option? From what I've read it would seem it's not but I figured I'd ask anyway since most of the posts I found were a little old.

Anyway, if any of you guys could help steer me in the right direction I'd apprectiate it! I've tried reading through other posts/etc and it's all a bit overwhelming!

Last edited:

ibcj

Enlightened
tangfj - regarding 1xAA battery, prior to buying my 1xAA mule, I too was under the impression that I could only use a 14500 based upon someone's post in a thread. I contacted another member who owns one and they advised this works fine with eneloops. I then bought my own 1xAA mule and it works fine with any AA battery.

1x123 and 1xAA bodies are interchangeable.

tangfj

Newly Enlightened
tangfj - regarding 1xAA battery, prior to buying my 1xAA mule, I too was under the impression that I could only use a 14500 based upon someone's post in a thread. I contacted another member who owns one and they advised this works fine with eneloops. I then bought my own 1xAA mule and it works fine with any AA battery.

1x123 and 1xAA bodies are interchangeable.

Do you have a Hi CRI or XML mule? and is your mule a 3S or AA version? I'm quite confused by this because I thought the only heads that can be used with ANY AA was the one in this thread http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...single-cell-converter)-addition-to-the-series... which unfortunately are not the ones available now.

Anyway, can you confirm which model mule you have?

ibcj

Enlightened
I have the 1xAA mule with Hi CRI. It has 3 levels and can use any AA. They are still available. Check this post by Don from 11 days ago, for what is available. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?58234-McGizmo-Available-Lights-Pricing-and-Ordering-Info&p=4296155&viewfull=1#post4296155

The 3S is using the previous converter which does not support AA. The 1xAA still has three levels.

Here is the information from the AA Introduction Thread - The converter is a three level converter with the same method of level change used in the 3S converter as well as the 6V buck 3 speed converter I have been building with. The output (constant current) from this converter is 15, 45 and 300 mA (low - high). On a test mule with XM-L LED using this converter and a AA Alkaline battery I measured lumens of 2,10 and 85 (low - high).

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
tangfj,
The heads and paks are all physically interchangeable. What needs to be compatible is the Light Engine within the head and the battery(s) powering it. My recommendation would be to consider the XM-L for use in the Haiku 1x123 and the High CRI Nichia in the Mule AA. But that is not based on a good understanding of what you seek from the light and your bias for battery use can only be factored in by you.

The one thing I wanted to comment on was your addition of the 1/4 x 20 clip with screws for both lights. All of my lights come standard with a clip. If someone wants the 1/4 x 20 clip instead of the stock clip they can request this and pay an additional $5 for the option. Do you really want two lights and 4 clips with spare screws?

tangfj

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Don, after reading up more/etc I realized that I needed to get the AA LE versions of the Haiku and Mule. Also, I meant to say that I wanted the 1/4 x 20 clip instead of the stock clip.

In any case, I've already sent you an e-mail and will confirm shortly. I was really on the fence about XM-L vs High CRI on the Haiku. I ended up choosing the Haiku with High CRI because from what I can tell people are most happy with the XM-L in the 6V option since it seems to give off better brightness? Would you agree with this? or would the Haiku in XM-L be plenty bright in the AA LE version? Also, for the AA LE versions, it seemed like most people were getting the Haiku in High CRI and there weren't too many people getting the AA version in XM-L. I wasn't sure if there was a reason for this other than preference but I figured that a combination of a Mule and Haiku both in High CRI would give me a ton of flexibility with the Mule giving me a good flood and the Haiku giving me tons of throw. I may need to consider a bit more in my choice of LE in the Haiku.

As of right now, below is what I had e-mailed you earlier today... In your response to me you said that RCR123's are not advisable on 1x123 with the AA LE since it'd be wasting energy. What battery would be recommended? Can AW IMR batteries be used? I was wanting to buy both LE's with the AA converter and then get two different battery pak's to give me more flexibility with which types of batteries I could use. With the two below configurations I was hoping to be able to use any AA (eneloops/etc), primary 123's (surefire or others), and some other rechargeable 123.

Flashlight #1 - Mule AA Hi CRI
with 1xAA pak and 1/4' x 20 tapped pocket clip

Flashlight #2 - Haiku AA Hi CRI
with 1x123 pak and 1/4' x 20 tapped pocket clip

In any case, if you or anyone else could help me out a little more with the questions above I'd appreciate it! Mostly, the remaining questions I have are about the battery and what the benefits of XM-L over High CRI are in the AA LE. Thanks!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
tangfj,
With the 1x123 pak combined with the AA converter I would recommend sticking with Lithium primaries or any rechargeable cell that isn't above say 3.5V when fully charged. You say tons of throw with the Haiku and I don't think I have ever seen someone make that observation about the Haiku which concerns me about your perception of what it will do. The High CRI Nichia does have a smaller die than the XM-L and it probably does throw further than the XM-L when coupled with the AA converter. I would like to see some other members chime in here and give you their impressions/ suggestions.

tangfj

Newly Enlightened
Right... I meant to say that from the pictures I saw the High CRI seemed to have more throw than the XM-L, which seemed to have more flood. I'd be interested to hear from others too that may have experience with either version of the Haiku AA LE.

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me, the time to get an XML based light is when you want to drive it hard and get a ton of light - and Don generally does not follow this philosophy. For my money, the smaller dies (Nichia, XPG) work very well in Don's single celled configurations. I tried the XML based Haiku and Makai and ended up just going back to Nichia/XPG sized dies.

The AA converter is great. Can use it with any cell, but as Don says, makes most sense with sub 3.5V. I run it with RCR cells in a pinch.

eala

tangfj

Newly Enlightened
To me, the time to get an XML based light is when you want to drive it hard and get a ton of light - and Don generally does not follow this philosophy. For my money, the smaller dies (Nichia, XPG) work very well in Don's single celled configurations. I tried the XML based Haiku and Makai and ended up just going back to Nichia/XPG sized dies.

The AA converter is great. Can use it with any cell, but as Don says, makes most sense with sub 3.5V. I run it with RCR cells in a pinch.

eala

Thanks for this... I've compared some beam pics from http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ee-XM-L-LEDs&p=3674759&viewfull=1#post3674759 and have concluded that XM-L would probably be better for me in a 6V version, which may come later for me... for now I'm gonna stick with my gut and go with my current order... e-mail just sent to Don!

ORDER:

Flashlight #1 - Mule AA Hi CRI
with 1xAA pak and 1/4' x 20 tapped pocket clip

Flashlight #2 - Haiku AA Hi CRI
with 1x123 pak and 1/4' x 20 tapped pocket clip

Web Coil Tether w/ swivel option

tangfj

Newly Enlightened
Received tracking number today and sent PP. Can't wait to get the lights! Thanks to everyone for helping me out and thanks to all of you who posted your reviews/etc on the forum. They were really helpful for me in making my decision!

I never knew about this whole world of flashlights a few weeks ago but I think I'm hooked. These customs look awesome!

Last edited: