Help me pick a Headlamp

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks DaGun for the picture. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif It would be very appreciated if you could post some more pictures.
I'm now using a Petz Myo5 (5 leds 3 levels and 1 Xenon bulb). I like the leds but not the incandescent.
So I'm looking for a Luxeon headlamp with multiple levels or one that can be modded.
I was thinking of the nFlex driver running on Pilas however up to now I couldn't find a suitable candidate.

DaGunn

Newly Enlightened
Headlamp Shots: 7 photos

icarus,
Someday I will ask you for a favor, that you can not refuse (aka, The Godfather Movie). Here are some photos of the outside, inside and besides of this light. Not in any particular order.
Side View (switch):
hl1.jpg

Looking down the business end:
hl2.jpg

Looking down the battery tube:
hl3.jpg

Looking down the business end at a nFlex board:

hl4.jpg

Looking down the business end at the existing circuit/switch board:
hl5.jpg

View of the light and some components:
hl6.jpg

This is a downboy converter board sitting on top of the stock circuit/switch board.
hl7.jpg

HTH (Hope That Helps)
Dave
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Headlamp Shots: 7 photos

Hi David,
Thanks for spending some of your precious time to make these nice pictures! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif
It seems there is plenty of room inside to house any kind of driver.
It looks like Waion is selling the same headlamp in the B/S/T thread for only $22 international shipping included!
Have you planned to mod yours?

JMildenhall

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure if anyone's still interested, but i have a Zipka, Tikka plus and Myo 5 belt.

I really like the 3 stage output from the Tikka plus especially when reading outdoors. I don't like the Zipka very much, but it is easy to put in a pocket as it doesn't have the head band hanging around.

The Myo 5 belt is very useful, but it is a bit overkill. I use it kayaking in the dark and in Led mode it is easily powerful enough, so much so I've never actually used the incandesent bulb on the water. I am very glad I bought the myo belt as it means i can attach the battery pack somewhere more sensible than my head. Not only that but the run time is much longer, Petzl claim over 200hrs in led mode, I haven't yet been able to run out the supplied batteries yet.

If anyone wants comparison beamshots i can take some.

James

greenLED

Flashaholic
I'd appreciate beamshots of the Myo 5. I'm thinking about the BD Soliras sometime next year but am also interested in the Myo 5. Can you "focus" the beam in the M5? If so, could you please take a shot of the focused and the broad beams? Thanks!!

JMildenhall

Newly Enlightened
Re: Help me pick a Headlamp - Beamshots

All shots with units 1m from the wall.

Tikka Plus at full power on the left - Zipka on the right
IMG_0049.JPG

Tikka Plus at medium power on the left - Zipka on the right
IMG_0050.JPG

Tikka Plus at low power on the left - Zipka on the right
IMG_0051.JPG

Tikka Plus at high power on the left - Myo 5 belt led high power - Zipka on the right
IMG_0052.JPG

Tikka Plus at high power on the left - Myo 5 Belt incandescent spot in the centre - Zipka on the right
IMG_0056.JPG

Myo 5 Belt incandescent spot
IMG_0057.JPG

Myo 5 Belt incandescent flood
IMG_0058.JPG

Something no-one has mentioned about the Myo 5, it has 3 led power levels which cycle every time you turn it on. This is really annoying as the only way you can tell if it is in high power is to cycle through by turning it on and off.

If anyone wants more pics of the Myo i can take some pics showing it against a wall, i have two of them so comparison shots are possible.

James

greenLED

Flashaholic

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/kewlpics.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thanks.gif Exactly what I was looking for; most appreciated.

rifle59

Newly Enlightened

I have a Zipka and a Tikka plus. I use the Zipka when hunting in the mountains b/c of it's size and weight(just for a back-up if we have to hike out after dark). However, I like the Tikka plus a bit better b/c of the tilt feature. The red filter is good for me b/c of early walks into a blind.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Which lights would have good flood for doing things like working in an unlit attic, laying insulation? Also, when you guys are wearing hats (like knit hats), do you wear the headlamp on top of, or underneath the light (obviously not covering the actual light emitting section)?

Mark

Mattman

Enlightened

For close-up work like laying insulation in low light conditions, you could probably get away with a small headlight like a BD Moonlight, but if your eyes aren't kind of used to the dark, it will hardly be visible. It's got a great light pattern for close up work, but it's only 4 5mm LED's so it's not a spotlight. I use my Moonlight while doing things like working on the car in the garage just to help light the spots shaded from the drop light.

I find that wearing a headlight with a hat is a hit or miss type of thing. If the hat has a bill and you wear it over top, then you lose the nice light shining down where you're working or walking. Over a hat without a bill, you can just make it a little bigger and wear it over the top. If you try to wear a headlight under a hat, it may have too much pressure on your noggin to be comfortable or you might have to wear you hat too high on your head and look like a dork. The people without headlights usually think you're a dork for wearing one no matter what.

snake

Enlightened

any runtimt plot on headlamps? at least a current draw will be greatly appreciate..

I am thinking about PT Yukon or Corona.. reason is if corona is long enough then give up some throw is acceptable.. if runtime didn't improve a lot, better keep the xenon to have some throw if need...