Help with Flashlight for Fire Rescue to Punch Through Smoke

MedicX

Newly Enlightened
I have been searching on here for a bit trying to find suggestions for a handheld light to punch through the smoke. I haven't seen anything updated on this. Preferably something that can also be helmet mounted. A lot of lumens and tight beam is what I would imagine to work the best.

I've looked at and love Surefire lights. I have two G2x pros (I believe 15 and 200 lumen), but am interested in the P3x Fury 1000 Lumen, and the other lights out there. Is 1000 lumens too much? Is the newer G2x Pro's that are 320 good enough, or should I get a 600 lumen light?

Any other manufacturers are welcomed as well. Looking for decent runtime. Currently, I only have a few lights that I use. HDS Clicky 140 for carry as a medic, a Lenslight Mini TAD edition for going out, and my Surefire G2x's.

Thanks in advance guys.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well you sure have some good lights already. Have you checked out Elzetta lights yet? The Charlie 3 Cell C134 would be worth checking out.

If you have ever tested it, what do you find works better in smoke?: Cool tints or warm tints?

MedicX

Newly Enlightened
No, I've never checked out Elzetta. Actually never heard of them. As far as tints goes, I couldn't tell ya. Not working as a fireman yet, but I'm one of those guys that loves his gear and wants to have an idea. Thanks

1DaveN

Enlightened
My boss has some "Streamlight 90545 Survivor 6 3/4 Inch LED" lights. They have a surprisingly bright and tightly focused beam, and should be able to cut through smoke as well as anything (we got the recommendation from a volunteer firefighter). These are bigger and heavier than I like personally, but I've never seen such a bright, tight beam on any light. It's possible they make a headlamp with similar features.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
My guess is the tighter beam the better and as little spill as possible.

Check out FoxFury, they have an ad here on CPF.
I have no experience myself but they seem to be made for that purpose.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
As already mentioned, Foxfury and Streamlight both make right angle lights for firefighters. The Streamlight Survivor is more affordable. The latest version doesn't use a large reflector, but a slimmer TIR lens. The older models are still floating around. The new version has a bright hotspot, and much dimmer corona and spill than the old model, which can help reduce glare. I think the lights from both makers come in a more expensive rechargeable package, and a regular package with a carrier that houses 4 AA cells. Check out their websites and YouTube for more details.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a look at Malkoff 18650 Hound Dog or a regular Hound Dog with an MD4 body for longer runtime. Nice tight, perfect beam with a useful spill. Built to last. They both have a better beam than my P3X.
P

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The lights you mentioned MedicX are probably good for what you seek in that the slightly warm tint tends to punch through fog better than the cool beam of a Streamlight...at least that's been my experience.
I have none punching through smoke tho.

You might try the flash light guide for reviews of a whole buncha lights.

And remember what you do when driving your car in the fog...in that high beam flashes back at you way more than low beam.

I'd say the Malkoff MD2 has a nice spot, but you may call Mr. Malkoff and ask his opinion on whether to substitute one of his Neutral, or even his Warm emitter in what's called a 'turn key' light he builds.
The MD2 hi/lo is an amazing light with the emitter he includes. But he may reccomend something different for your purpose.
MalkoffDevices.com

And if you decide to get one...that fine G2x will become your nightstand light....or at least that's been my experience lol...

Last edited:

MedicX

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. As far as the right angle lights, I am actually wanting a regular handheld that can clip to the helmet

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some years ago there was at least one thread on this topic that dealt with the science of smoke and fog particles. You might want to search on the words smoke and fog to see what was discussed.

The particles in smoke and fog ate why more isn't always better with light but even more was discussed.

It might take some time but it would be worth it.

Vinniec5

Enlightened
Streamlight ProPolymax 4AA is a handheld/hardhat mountable with the kit avail. 300 Lumen workhorse hazardous location light. nice tight beam similar to the Survivor series and tough like them too. Since you are looking for hand/hat mounted it's a definite on the short list light. 50-60 bucks should get you the light-belt clip and hard hat mount.

MedicX

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight ProPolymax 4AA is a handheld/hardhat mountable with the kit avail. 300 Lumen workhorse hazardous location light. nice tight beam similar to the Survivor series and tough like them too. Since you are looking for hand/hat mounted it's a definite on the short list light. 50-60 bucks should get you the light-belt clip and hard hat mount.
That's great. Saw them, but wasn't sure...

GunnarGG

Enlightened
When you are in smoke/fog/snow I think it's better to keep the light as far away from your eyes as possible so you don't have to look through the smoke that is lit up by the beam.
If you wear the light as a headlamp most of the distance between you and what you are looking at will be lit by the beam, especially if you don't have a very tight beam.

That Streamlight Propolymax looks like a nice flashlight.
Recently I recieved a Fenix E20 that is 265 lumens and has a tight beam. Maybe not exactly what you are looking for and don't know if it's possible to mount on a helmet but I think it could work well beam wise.

MedicX

Newly Enlightened
When you are in smoke/fog/snow I think it's better to keep the light as far away from your eyes as possible so you don't have to look through the smoke that is lit up by the beam.
If you wear the light as a headlamp most of the distance between you and what you are looking at will be lit by the beam, especially if you don't have a very tight beam.

That Streamlight Propolymax looks like a nice flashlight.
Recently I recieved a Fenix E20 that is 265 lumens and has a tight beam. Maybe not exactly what you are looking for and don't know if it's possible to mount on a helmet but I think it could work well beam wise.
Great info. Thanks.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking more for a handheld and mountable with a clamp to put on fire helmet.

Then "a handheld and mountable with a clamp" and a removable yellow filter. The point is the yellow filter to reduce reflection from the smoke. Think fog lights.

Last edited:

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fog lights only really work well when they are below the fog line, which is why they are mounted so low on a vehicle. Yes the yellow tint helps with glare somewhat.....
Perhaps a shoe mounted light? Lol

AusKipper

Enlightened
Something to keep in mind with the FoxFury is that they are NOT Class 1 Div 1 intrinsically safe rated, which may rule them out in some departments, or for some uses (in my entire state of Australia, flashlights that do not have that official rating are not permitted for use in structure fires AFAIK).

At some point I am doing a comparison review of the Streamlight Knucklehead Flood, Streamlight Knucklehead Throw, Streamlight Survivor and the Pelican 3715.

I have not finished testing on them yet, however, first impressions currently is that I like the Streamlight Survivor most (but, that is the light I have been using for a couple of years so I could be biased)

I do have a variety of helmet mounted firefighting lights on the way to test as well, currently I own the Streamlight Propolymer 4xAA for my helmet light, but it is a little heavy for helmet use I think. The older 2xAA Streamlights are not bright in the slightest. Hopefully one of the new Streamlights, Pelicans or UKE's I have coming will be an ideal light.

My3kidsfather

Enlightened
Some years ago there was at least one thread on this topic that dealt with the science of smoke and fog particles. You might want to search on the words smoke and fog to see what was discussed.

The particles in smoke and fog ate why more isn't always better with light but even more was discussed.

It might take some time but it would be worth it.

i remember this too chmsam, Incan light cuts thru fog and smoke significantly better than LED light. Best case was for both to be carried, one for flood runtime and Incan to cut thru. It's no joke in a fire.