Help with getting a CO2 Laser for work

Stand109

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I work at a plastic company and my boss wants to install a laser to cut the plastic parts. I have to research it but I don't know anything about lasers. I have come to the conclusion that I need a CO2 laser to cut through 3mm ABS and PS plastic.

The thing is I don't even know if it's possible to work with such a laser by hand. All the stuff I see are "robotized" laser heads, not on guy holding it.

Also, I've been exchanging emails with a chinese firm and they made me this offer:

"Product:Glass laser tube Power:80Watts
maximum power:95w
Length:1600mm
Diameter:60mm
Life time:8000 hours
Packing:In wooden cases (It can be ensure to arrive u safe,not so easy broken!)
Warranty:300days
Deliver time:3-5 days
Quantity:1Pcs
Unit price:211.38USD

Products:80w laser power supply
Voltage:220v
Quantity:1 Pcs
Unit price:161.50USD

Products:Laser focus lens
Materials:ZnSe CVD (USA)
Diameter:20mm
Focus length:63.50mm
Unit price:52.00USD

Products:Laser mirrors
Materials:silicon
Diameter:25mm
Quantity:3 Pcs
Unit price:22.00USD
Total price:66.00USD

Products:Laser head
Unit price:56.65USD

Products:Controller AWC 608
(Include software+soft dog+board+LCD display)
MOQ:1 Pcs
Unit price:344.26USD

Products:Mirrors mounts
Diameter:25mm
Quantity:2 Pcs
Unit price:22.35USD
Total price:44.70USD

Products;Laser tube support
Diameter:80mm
Quantity:2 Pcs
Unit price:16.39USD
Total price:32.78USD"

Would this do the trick? Would I need more stuff? Less stuff?
The "controller awc 609" is needed? Because I'ts not supposed to be automatic.

Thanks in advance, I'm kind of lost so any help would be much appreciated.

Eidetic

Newly Enlightened
A person having no training or experience with any type of lasers should not be buying a 95W CO2 laser to assemble for use by "a guy holding it". He should be looking to hire the properly trained operator. At the very least, a properly trained consultant who would provide the necessary training.

Stand109

Newly Enlightened
I get your point. I'm just doing what my boss wants me to do, research this matter.
I have also come to the conclusion that one guy can't hold it, it needs to be a robot arm or something for the laser to be precise. However, do you think those parts would be all I need? To assemble some sort of laser machine. It has a "controller awc 608" to do the programming, but I don't know if I should continue to keep conversations with this firm or not.
After we get the laser, of course we would need to find the best way to use it. Although the idea would be for one person to do the cuts manually, it's out of the picture now. However, I still need to find out if we can make the laser work adapted to our working table.

Thanks in advance

Eidetic

Newly Enlightened
You'd need many more pieces of equipment than that above, plus the experience working with them, to put together a system that will do what you want predictably and safely. Are you comfortable working with 20kV DC right next to a glass water cooling jacket? How are you going to aim that far IR beam? How are you going to keep smoke and soot off the lens? Why 80W? Talk to manufacturers of complete cutting or welding systems. Look at medical laser systems that have articulated arms and handpieces on them. Before that, be able to intelligently lecture your boss about laser safety. Some lasers are toys. CO2 lasers are not.:caution:

Stand109

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your response. Yes we will be getting a visit from a laser company to see what we can do here about it.
My boss has seen that other companies have that cut from laser so he wants it too...
Worse, he wants to get the components and then make them work on our table (I don't know how!!!) instead of getting a full built machine, like other concurrent companies probably have. I don't think it's viable from what I've seen but I'm just trying to do my work as told.
Thanks again for the explanations.

firelord777

Enlightened
Getting a CO2 laser like that is like going skipping small arms and buying heavy artillery, there are too many components and dangers, you must know what you're doing, especially at these outputs,

Cheers:)

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Consider including in the budget a shield to go around the table, with any access doors connected to interlock switches that disable laser. I too think this isn't the greatest of ideas, but if you are serious, do some serious homework. If your company can't afford a laser cutter, wondering what sort of insurance they have to cover accidents. Also, kind of doubt that their insurance would allow this if they knew about it.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're cutting flat plastic sheet, a cnc laser processor is what you want. 120w unit would so the job. Co2 lasers require cooling systems, a nitrogen gas system for purging AND material removel during cutting, an evacuation system to remove and filter cutting exhaust gases.... And those are just the basic requirements.
If you are cutting shaped plastic pieces, a 5 axis Yag fiber optic is best but that's gonna cost ya!
I Have 9 yrs of running cnc laser processors under my belt if you'd like more details, message me.