Hey : Who has one of these?

Guliver

Newly Enlightened
We (Marconi and Spec) looked at a Blu-Ray pointing device and realized we could
probably put one together.

As far as we are able to tell this is the first one in the nation.

We made a neat new toy. Have a look. ;)
17_G.sized.jpg

405nM: a beautiful blacklight purple, yes the beam is visible with light
smoke or outside with some humidity.

(Spec's holding one up here in pix)-
3_G.sized.jpg

25-28mw
2mm beam size .5mRad divergence, beautiful beam.
1x cr123 battery.
Case is 3.75 inches long and a hair over an inch in diameter.
Custom *fully* regulated circuit.

It acts like a pinpoint blacklight, fluorescent activity. The point turns
insanely blue on white paper and different color on those neon sticky pads
like orange, yellow, and white.

Will have more videos sometime after thanksgiving, must relax and sleep
for a little while.

Marconi *^_^*

EGP

Newly Enlightened
Looks beautiful for sure.

Aren't those diodes still outrageously expensive ?

Or did you use a cheaper alternative and yank them from HD-DVD or Blu Ray drives ? (Still an expensive option I would assume)

Regards,
Erling

offset

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking dye pump source.........a few dead blu-ray devices, a few beam combiners and a dye cell....................can you say any color you want?...............I will tak as many as I can get my hands on............ :rock: the future looks plasma purple.......................

FloggedSynapse

Enlightened
That looks brilliant, I'm jealous. I want one of those ~400 nm diodes just for conceptual reasons, as it's the only available in the visible spectrum outside of red. Color looks beautiful.

Need more details from you .. where'd you get the diode and how much, what sort of power supply and case?? Any active cooling beyond a heatsink? 25+ mW is a moderately powerful laser.

Spec

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone:

And here we go, in order:

benighted: This prototype is technically akin to you creating a unique highly sought after flashlight from scratch. Its quite a technological marvel even before you count the prototyping time and costs(which were quite a lot might I add). As far as practicality goes: you are absolutely right: We designed this entirely for our personal entertainment and I am(as are others here) quite proud of the outcome.

EGP: Yes, outrageously expensive is an understatement. Blu-ray burner was the donor, as I stated in the PL post: it *ABSOLUTELY HAS* to be a blu-ray burner, the read only diodes in just-player's are for the most part useless in my opinion(5mW if your lucky) and very painful to work with for technical reasons, not to mention how terribly static sensitive these are. We for all intensive purposes lost a lot of cash in dead diodes this week. Still though: I think it was worth every penny. Having something this unique is reward in and of itself. If prodded I would make single units for people, but thats neither here nor there.

Illum_the_nation: A ton but still way cheaper than a "Sonar". In order to avoid the possibility of this turning into a selling/feeler thread I will omit price here. Also: there is no "link" as this is a one of a kind product. No commercial plans as of right now.

FloggedSynapse: Diode came out of "industrial" Sony blu-ray burners(PC) Shoot me an email with your other questions.

Fenris: Good eye ;) That is in fact a "Dorcy Super 1 Watt "Donor"". The body is the only thing it has in common with the flashlight. Beautiful housing, far better than anything I could mill out. :)

allthatwhichis: was saying the same thing when I got home and saw that. ;)

Kiessling

Flashaholic
If this thing is a unique and great as you describe you should have used a Surefire ... :D :D

Well done! :thumbsup:

bernhard

beglobal

Newly Enlightened
its really nice!!!! I want one!!! you are going to do more, right????? you could sell it!!!! lets us know if u do!!! :grin2:

kdam36

Banned
ffs I hate links that go to company`s........they might aswell just advertise

dr_lava

Enlightened
That's very nice, well done, it shows your passion. Enjoy it while the violet laser diodes are still rare! :)

Guliver

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Guys

It was fun to build it..
We did it just to see if we could do it..
And to share it...
Spec came down to visit us and it gave us something "laser" to do.

Note: These diodes are extremely fragile and can be damaged
so much faster than any other kind of diodes we have experienced.
One was sacrificed , three others are still working beautifully.
We even made one up in module form with TTL blanking just for fun.

Average output is around 20 to 25mW
But very bright when shown onto fluorescent objects,,..just like a uv light source.
Still must be very careful even at this power as the beam is very narrow.
The Purple/Violet beam is still awesome to see..

Yes,, we had to spend a bit on these as Spec mentioned.

Yes, Bernie .. we thought about a Surefire host..but couldnt see tearing up
my E2d/KL1 .. :)

-Chuck

Last edited:

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
*******s aren't they? I posted a thread the day the PS3 came out speculating on trying to get a blue-ray diode to make a module and later that day they have it DONE!!! :awman: I barely had it dreamt up and they had it in hand... :lolsign: Man that thing'd be cool to add a lil flourecent into a laser projector... It would fit nicely into the one I am building... :candle: :poke: :rolleyes: