HI folks

renobart

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,

Just joined. Pretty cool there is a forum just for flashlights!!! Anyway, I am a newbie, I know nothing about lights other than I want one, and I am looking for suggestions with the following criteria:

1) Price range: I would like to spend between $100-$150.
2) Purpose: Taking a trip to Costa Rica. I would like a nice, bright light for nighttime jungle walks, mainly for frog and snake spotting on the ground and in the trees.
3) Must be a good, durable brand, waterproof light.
4) How it is powered is not a serious issue for me, however whatever creates the best amount of light is what I would be interested in
5) I would like a handheld light, not a headlamp

Please point me in the right direction!!

Thank you very much!!

Bart

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix LD41 uses 4XAA batteries 520 lumen with a floody light and Uses the Cree XM-L U2 LED
Has Low, Med, high, Turbo, SOS and Strobe. Check out the Quark Pro QP2A-X if you want a smaller light. Has half the power but still very bright and compact. It also uses a Cree XM-L LED.

The XM-L LED has a less defined hotspot than the other LEDs so while still very bright it will cover more ground, trees etc with light.

CREE XP-G2 LED will give you more throw than the XM-L. Maybe buy two lights a XP-G and an XM-L? Check out FourSevens Quark and Fenix.

weekend warrior

Newly Enlightened
You say how it's powered is not an issue, does that mean you know you'll have reliable power to use rechargeable batteries? Because if that's the case a single 18650 light would give you a lot of bang for the size. You could bring along 4-5 18650's and have lots of run time between charge-ups, plus most of them can put out 700+ lumens. You should also have a good common battery back-up. For that I'd suggest a Zebralight SC52, runs on a single AA, up to 250 lumens, but also lower powers that can run for hours, days, or even months.

djw479

Newly Enlightened
I'm a newbie here also but have a few years with an Olight T25 (AA x2).

Since you're willing to spend $100+ on a flashlight, you have a multitude to choose from...almost too many.

But since you going out of the country soon after getting this light, maybe do some research on:
- what battery sizes will be easily available to you in Costa Rica? (AAs are commonly available thru-out the world, but there are more powerful choices)
- will you have access to AC electricity for recharging batteries or do you have to carry in your supply of non-chargeables?
- watch for comments on how floody vs thrower a given flashlight is.

Maybe purchasing a well-known brand (Fenix, Olight, Nitecore, etc) will allow you to find answers to any operational questions you have here, rather than the more unique brands that are not a well known or supported by their user communities.

I'll just throw out 3 ideas, bought a 4xAA flashlights with good throw, good flood and cost $60 to $70 online. That price level allows you to get a good charger and some rechargeable batteries within $100+. Check out the Nitecore EA4, Fenix LD41, or the Fenix PA40. The PA40 has more flood or spread of light, while the first 2 are know for being more throwers.

No matter what you get, have fun in Costa Rica!!!

DTF

Enlightened
All of the above mentioned lights are from China. You don't want to have your travel light fail. I suggest a Surefire. American made. Extremely reliable. Quality manufacture. Something like an E1B. Uses a single 123A battery provides lots of light. Going animal hunting, it can help to get the red or green filter.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those brands are reputable brands with pretty good QC, not that I am questioning Surefire quality..
So I think TS can purchase those brands with confidence.

JonK

Sent from my Awesome phone from somewhere in the mountains

DTF

Enlightened
I love my flashlights from China, especially since the same thing from Surefire or some other high quality manufacturer would cost 3 or 4 times more. But, just about every one of those flashlights has something not quite right. Got one DOA that was missing a basic isolation disc so that the power circuit was shorted when the LE was tightened down. What they (the QC department in China) did is install a part loose so that the LE worked just fine. Tighten down the LE and it shorted out. Yeah, great quality control. I only own about a dozen lights from China but could go on and on about little things not quite right. Still, I love them. Trust them? Never.

Get a quality flashlight for an important trip where there is a challenging enviroment. I've worked in Puerto Rico and know what it can be like. Go with Surefire at the very least. I would also recommend using primary lithium batteries, such as a Duracell 123A. How long is the trip? Carry maybe 1 or 2 spares for each week of the trip, unless expecting to use the flashlight for more than an 1 hour or so a day. Carry the spares in a good waterproof container like the Pelican 1010.

Rechargeables are fine for at home, etc. Relying on a rechargeable setup (ask Boeing about how reliable lithium rechareables setups can be) on a trip just doesn't make sense. With rechargeable, you are relying on the main power source, a working recharger, the rechargeable cell. Any one of these can fail and leave you without a light. Lithium primaries are relatively cheap, easy to carry, and provide a good amount of runtime. I use my flashlights a lot and rarely change batteries more than once a week.

JCD

Enlightened
I love my flashlights from China, especially since the same thing from Surefire or some other high quality manufacturer would cost 3 or 4 times more. But, just about every one of those flashlights has something not quite right. Got one DOA that was missing a basic isolation disc so that the power circuit was shorted when the LE was tightened down. What they (the QC department in China) did is install a part loose so that the LE worked just fine. Tighten down the LE and it shorted out. Yeah, great quality control. I only own about a dozen lights from China but could go on and on about little things not quite right. Still, I love them. Trust them? Never.

Get a quality flashlight for an important trip where there is a challenging enviroment. I've worked in Puerto Rico and know what it can be like. Go with Surefire at the very least. I would also recommend using primary lithium batteries, such as a Duracell 123A. How long is the trip? Carry maybe 1 or 2 spares for each week of the trip, unless expecting to use the flashlight for more than an 1 hour or so a day. Carry the spares in a good waterproof container like the Pelican 1010.

Rechargeables are fine for at home, etc. Relying on a rechargeable setup (ask Boeing about how reliable lithium rechareables setups can be) on a trip just doesn't make sense. With rechargeable, you are relying on the main power source, a working recharger, the rechargeable cell. Any one of these can fail and leave you without a light. Lithium primaries are relatively cheap, easy to carry, and provide a good amount of runtime. I use my flashlights a lot and rarely change batteries more than once a week.

^This^

scsmith

Newly Enlightened
Bart,

I'm also new here, but not new to high quality lights. I've recently begun playing with the lower priced Chinese made lights at home, and learning more about the myriad options they offer is why I'm here. However, you're looking for a tool to use a place that can be rough, and not a toy. I've owned multiple Surefire lights over the years, and still own several. The ones I no longer have were passed on to friends and family when I bought a newer SF. As far as I know, all are still in service.

I bought a Surefire E1e in 2006 while I was deployed to Iraq. The E1e was purchased as a pocket sized alternative to the 6P I'd bought two years before, and carried on a previous deployment. In '08 or '09 (can't remember exactly) I upgraded it to LED with the KX1 conversion head, which turned it into the same light as the current E1L. I just bought a new model EB1 backup to replace it as my EDC light. That E1e/L rode in my pocket, banging against keys and and knife, everyday for nearly seven years. Other than upgrading to LED for higher output and better run time, I've not replaced a part on it. The finish is worn, but the light still works perfectly. I only bought the EB1 because once again I wanted a brighter pocket sized light. Nearly seven years of everyday use without a single failure has earned my trust of Surefire.

The lowest price I found on the EB1 was $156 and free shipping from BH Photo Video. The E1L runs a little bit less. I realize that these two lights are at the top of your price range without even adding batteries. I really like the deep carry bi-directional pocket clip on the EB1, but you can get this clip from SF and put it on the E1L. The CR123 E2L Outdoorsman is another light that slightly exceeds your budget, but the lower output combined with a 2nd battery give it great run time. The E2L AA version is within your price range, still gets good run time, and uses a more widely available battery. Those are all smaller diameter, easier to carry lights from SF; and all are dual output.

Alternately, for under $90 you can get a Surefire 6PX or for under $70 a G2X. These are essentially the same light, with 6P version having an aluminum body, and the G2 having a plastic body. Both are available in high out put only Tactical variant, or dual output Pro variant. I've run both the current G2X Tactical, and the previous G2 LED in weapon mounted setups using very basic ring mounts. The plastic body G2 lights have proven themselves to be quite rugged, so I have no issue recommending them to keep the weight down on the light, and keep your wallet heavier. The G2 is also available in a variety of including bright yellow if you value easy to see over subdued colors for tactical / defensive applications. The prices on the 6PX and G2X leave plenty of room in your budget for spare batteries, SF factory lanyard kits, or aftermarket pocket clips.

Last, don't skimp on the batteries. These lights pull quite a bit of current, and cheaply made CR123s, while rare, have been known to blow up at times. At around $25 for a pack of 12 the Surefire SF123 batteries aren't that expensive. For a few dollars less you can also get Panasonic CR123A batteries in bulk industrial packaging. I actually prefer the Panasonic cells in the industrial packaging because it's individual blisters with plastic fronts, and foiled paper backs. This packaging is fairly water resistant, and even if one or two blister packs are compromised your whole supply isn't ruined. With their 10 year shelf life I'd go ahead and take a 12 pack on your trip, and keep whatever you don't use for future use.

I know that was a long, but I hope it was helpful.

dss_777

Enlightened
Read up on tint options and High CRI lights. Getting that wrong is going to make your light much less useful for it's intended purpose, IMO.