HID bulb color

Blueknight

Newly Enlightened
I am thinking of modding my 20 million cp professional choice spotlight to HID. The choices of bulb color will be between 4300k and 5000k. Which is better and why?

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would hate to use the word better to describe either of those color temperature. 5000K is near sunlight, and 4300K is about halfway between incandescent and sunlight. Which is better is going to a matter of personal preference, both should give good color rendition. The 4300K will be a little bit 'warmer' the difference is hardly as dramatic as it would be between 2700K and 5000K. CRI on most HID lamps is usually pretty good, and I would probably pick the lamp with the higher CRI if the lumens output is the same for both.

Blueknight

Newly Enlightened
I thank you for the answer. The light will be more of a hobby thing than used as a spotlight light mainly because of the size and weight. I've had this light for a little better than 2 years and the battery still works,about 20 min run time. I have the Stanley HID and love it even tho the run time is down to about 10-15 mins because of the battery. Since I can't afford those high priced HID spots,this was the next best thing. Now my next question is the ballast, the choice is between a slim or super slim ballast. If there is no noticeable difference between them other than size, I'll go with the super slim. I'm looking more for longevity and performance than size.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thank you for the answer. The light will be more of a hobby thing than used as a spotlight light mainly because of the size and weight. I've had this light for a little better than 2 years and the battery still works,about 20 min run time. I have the Stanley HID and love it even tho the run time is down to about 10-15 mins because of the battery. Since I can't afford those high priced HID spots,this was the next best thing. Now my next question is the ballast, the choice is between a slim or super slim ballast. If there is no noticeable difference between them other than size, I'll go with the super slim. I'm looking more for longevity and performance than size.

Go with the largest ballast you can fit, better cooling. 4300k is my preferred bulb temp. You should get about an hour of runtime at 55w

Blueknight

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, when I order the kit I'll also see what the price is for an extra bulb and try both temp colors to see which one I like the best.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
More often than not, when you buy a kit, its sold for automotive use, so it will be 2 ballasts and 2 bulbs. A few companies will allow you to order 2 color temps if you contact them prior to ordering. Factory Kiss has been fairly reliable to me for my light projects

Zeus33

Newly Enlightened
The 4300K bulbs tend to put out the most lumans. The 5000K is not too bad.

Dave

Agreed. There is a reason the high end car manufacturers chose 4300k when they designed HID headlights.

Blueknight

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies. I'll make sure I get the 4300k when I order the kit.

SemiMan

Banned
Agreed. There is a reason the high end car manufacturers chose 4300k when they designed HID headlights.

Yes, it was all the negative feedback they received from higher color temperatures due to the increase glare response.

Semiman

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glare, and poorer visibility in rain/snow conditions. I can't believe you still see so many of the blue tinted HID headlights on the road.

Blueknight

Newly Enlightened
I bet if the one's who have those blue tint HIDs got on CPF and learned a little,they would change the bulbs out for say a 4300k.