HID Fluctuation?

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
To be sure I understand, you see this when the light is mounted horizontally and your light is pointed horizontally? If that's the case, then the magnification aspect is the issue. I'm using the most advanced smart ballast and a universallly mountable lamp, and in full spot mode I still see an ever so slight, hardly noticeable "aurora" in the clouds around the beam center. I actually like it. It's like an alien tractor beam.
yes, both are horz, just like they would be in an auto application. when i look at the arc (using polerizing film ofcorse) i can see the arc curving upward (as if heat were drawing it) and i can see slight movement in the arc on the outer electrode. the inner electrode seems alot more stable.

those people aren't flashoholics.
this is tru, but some flashaholics may buy my lights and i'd prefer to have answers rather then "hmmm IDK, I'll have to look into that for you". and i hate BS'n anyone so without that being normal i couldent tell someone "thats totally normal, get used to it".... is just wrong to me, unless it IS normal.

thanks for the info guys, i appreciate it very much. :) lovecpf

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Old thread, but I did just think of something. I know this seems like a step backwards, but what if you tried a generic 35W ballast? And then what if you tried an OEM automotive 35W ballast? I think it may have to do with the feedback circuitry in the ballast.

Here's a link, and the post I'm referring to is by member D1S, who (If I remember correctly) is a reputable member here under a different name.
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?26432-Boosted-Ballasts&p=266022&viewfull=1#post266022