High CRI LED vs. Good Incan?

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, this thread is an oldie but goodie.

My current everyday carry is a high CRI HDS Rotary using a Cree emitter (I forget which kind exactly, probably an XP-G) that outputs around 3700K with a CRI of 90+ (interestingly, 3700K is a tint that most people tend to perceive as neutral). I recently compared it to an old school incandescent Surefire, and in terms of tint and color rendering, the output of each light was indistinguishable to my eye, so needless to say, I'm extremely happy with the Rotary and will be hanging on to it for a very long time. The bad news is that HDS had to discontinue their high CRI offering because Henry was having too much trouble finding emitters that were within spec. I think the closest thing he offers now is a 4400K emitter with an 85+ CRI.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

My current everyday carry is a high CRI HDS Rotary using a Cree emitter (I forget which kind exactly, probably an XP-G) that outputs around 3700K with a CRI of 90+ (interestingly, 3700K is a tint that most people tend to perceive as neutral). I recently compared it to an old school incandescent Surefire, and in terms of tint and color rendering, the output of each light was indistinguishable to my eye, so needless to say, I'm extremely happy with the Rotary and will be hanging on to it for a very long time. The bad news is that HDS had to discontinue their high CRI offering because Henry was having too much trouble finding emitters that were within spec. I think the closest thing he offers now is a 4400K emitter with an 85+ CRI.
I had a Clicky that I'd put a hCRI XP-G into as well and I really loved that light and it's completely incandescent output.
Unfortunately it had problems and when I sent it to Henry he ended up sending me a new light, hence I lost that emitter. Maybe I need to get another mod done...

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me, it is no longer about being close—

I want an exact duplicate.

The SSC P4 I tried was too cool, and I didn't like the XP-G2 hi-CRI or Nichias at all.

I am confident in the next five years we will see the efficiency, CRI, and CCT I desire.

It's just a matter of waiting.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a Clicky that I'd put a hCRI XP-G into as well and I really loved that light and it's completely incandescent output.
Unfortunately it had problems and when I sent it to Henry he ended up sending me a new light, hence I lost that emitter. Maybe I need to get another mod done...
Wow, he honored the warranty even though you had modified the light? That's pretty impressive.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast

The SSC P4 I tried was too cool, and I didn't like the XP-G2 hi-CRI or Nichias at all.
To my eyes, the high CRI XP-G in my Rotary is not merely close to incandescent, it's a dead match. I even had a co-worker mistake it for an incan, and he was greatly surprised when I told him it was LED.

Newguy2012

Enlightened

I am confident in the next five years we will see the efficiency, CRI, and CCT I desire.

So you don't like all LEDs currently made now is what you're saying? I don't you'll see CRI higher than 96. I don't think you'll see a difference with cri < 5 points.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

To my eyes, the high CRI XP-G in my Rotary is not merely close to incandescent, it's a dead match. I even had a co-worker mistake it for an incan, and he was greatly surprised when I told him it was LED.
Very true indeed. I won't be selling my HDS High CRI Rotary. It is so close to my incandescent Surefire it is almost too difficult to tell them apart. In fact, amongst all my lights using a warm tint High CRI XP-G emitter, none is as close as the ones on my HDS. I really believe it when Henry claimed that he had to sieve through all the emitters in the batch to source for emitters meeting the above 90 CRI mark. My Malkoff drop in is slightly rosy in tint and my FourSevens is pee yellow, and both are using High CRI XP-G emitters. This really reinforced my love for the HDS Rotary. I just bought a neutral Rotary with Nichia 219 and it doesn't see much love from me.

burntoshine

Enlightened
That has become my tint of preference; incandescent-like. I guess it's in the mid 3k range; perhaps 3700k. I like the idea of high color rendering, but it's mainly that warm tint that reminds me of old school incandescent lights that I love. It's so cozy and pleasant!! I tolerate neutral tints (my Zebra herd, for instance), but I prefer that 3700k-ish tint when possible. And I too see that tint as nearly identical to incans; if not, then completely identical.

Something funny I noticed on the netflix show, The Killing: I think it's either the episode "keylela" or "off the reservation" from the second season. Linden is walking with a search party at night and they all have flashlights out. Everyone has cool tinted flashlights, except for Linden. She has a warmer tinted flashlight, and only her. To me it was obvious, but I'm a flashaholic. I thought it was odd, but pretty neat, too. Awesome show! Currently addicted. Twin Peaks vibe, fo sho.

EDIT: my flashlight collection. (new additions not pictured: ZL SC52w and H600w mkII)
DSC00889t_zps85001d7d.jpg

Last edited:

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
3700k is the sweet spot for me right now. Been working a lot with LED's in that temperature range lately and it's certainly the most comfortable to use at night. The cooler N219 and super warm 3000k lamps just don't do it for me anymore.

scout24

Flashaholic
I still think they are completely different animals. I love my 219B Rotary, 219B Nailbender P60 dropins, Tana's 219A Singled, 119V Haiku and Mule, Malkoff (Illumination Supply) M61 219B's in whatever output power level I choose, and use them all, but they are all different than a hard-driven incand. Getting closer? Yes. There yet? No... The Nailbenders in HAIII C2's have become my LED dog walking lights of choice, with an E2e/ MN02 or a G3/ P90 along as well. I hope Cree, Nichia, and the rest keep trying though! :)

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The big thing for me is that they are a big improvement over the cool white tints so prevalent in many LED lights. If absolute color rendition were so important to me, I still have two P60s stored away, and would pay the penalty in run time to use them. Since I prize improved run time over absolute color rendition, I am just glad that there has been such an improvement in CRI over the last couple of years. Unless I find some light I absolutely must have that is only available in cool white, I don't plan on buying anything else but high CRI lights from now on.

I am also looking forward to the advent of LED IIs, or XYZs, or whatever, in the next few years that will surpass existing LED technology. I know there is research going on to find something even more efficient and more color-accurate than existing LEDs.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
So you don't like all LEDs currently made now is what you're saying? I don't you'll see CRI higher than 96. I don't think you'll see a difference with cri < 5 points.

No, I am not saying I don't like all LEDs made now.

I like many LEDs.

However, I have not yet found one, in my use, which is a "dead ringer".

I firmly believe that one day I will.

And it is not hitting 96, 97, or 100 CRI I am waiting for—

it is having 90+ CRI and the right CCT.

I like all my lights, and use them for different things.

I agree 100% on not seeing a difference of six points in CRI.

However, I do believe my eyes are sensitive enough to discern differences in tint, such as rosy, yellowy, or blue,
and color temperature, too high, too low, or just right. :)

My most frequently used light is a U.S. Government CMG Infinity Ultra on a long closed loop of GITD paracord.
I love that light and use it every night, even though I don't love the tint.
That is okay.

My point is that I am patient and can enjoy using the lights I have now while waiting for the technology to advance.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

I see you didn't mention the one that we've been talking about, the original hCRI XP-G. When you say exact duplicate, it makes me wonder if you're aware what a wide range incandescent lights come in.

At any rate, the first hCRI XP-G's are perfect for those of us who are no less picky and I think if you track one down you'll be pretty damn happy.
Wow, he honored the warranty even though you had modified the light? That's pretty impressive.
Yeah, he's Henry.

Yep, me too. No on believes it could possibly be an LED until you show them.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see you didn't mention the one that we've been talking about, the original hCRI XP-G. When you say exact duplicate, it makes me wonder if you're aware what a wide range incandescent lights come in.

Hi, kaichu.

1) No, I did not mention that specific light, though I have used the hi-CRI XP-G2. I may put it on my "lights to check out" list.

2) You are right, of course—the lone incandescent light above the kitchen sink it rated for 2700K while the object of my craving is a full 600 degrees K higher. Perhaps I ought to be more precise in my language. :)

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Hi, kaichu.

1) No, I did not mention that specific light, though I have used the hi-CRI XP-G2. I may put it on my "lights to check out" list.

2) You are right, of course—the lone incandescent light above the kitchen sink it rated for 2700K while the object of my craving is a full 600 degrees K higher. Perhaps I ought to be more precise in my language. :)
I bet IF you could find one of the older hCRI XP-G's that you'd like it a lot.

Latest posts