History of the First Tubular Flashlight

recDNA

Flashaholic
That Ever Ready with the lanyard ring is a really handsome light even by today's standards. I wonder what kind of bulb it contained?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
bykfixer,
I have faith in you ...

Ever Ready - pshaw!

(Someday, we will compare our collections ...)

EverReady on the way....

The 2 cell Commander. Best I can tell it's a circa 1976 light.
I probably used one (or similar) while playing hide & seek on summer nights.

Broke my 1 light per month rule for this one.

Someday...a Kel-Lite. But those folks at the big E are asking some mighty high prices.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I did not know Energizer and Ever Ready are one these days... owned by animal food giant Ralston Purina.
Yup, apparently Ever Ready products are the 'budget' Energizer products.

Also car parts chain Pep Boys batteries are made by Ever Ready who still has a US based battery making facility.

These days it seems (according to energizer/ever ready) Ever Ready batteries are geared towards low draw items like clocks and calculators. Energizers towards cameras and flashlights. Energizer flashlights are aimed at the too cheap to buy a Maglite crowd. Every Readys at folks too cheap to buy an Energizer.

Energizer has put out some stuff to compete with Rayovac like 'hard case' lights and some pretty dawg gone nice shiney alluminums to compete with the chinese jewelry light crowd.

^^ 'cept for reverse clicky these are pretty sweet.

I'd hope to see Ever Ready do some retro stuff and at least try to get some respect back instead of focusing on $2.95 throw aways...

Perhaps some Conrad Hubert reproductions?

Last edited: