• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Homemade Surefire A2 Aviator LED rings (2nd Run) *CLOSED*

Knuckles

Newly Enlightened
Re: FS: Homemade Surefire A2 Aviator LED rings (2nd Run) *OPEN*

What a great time to be an A2 owner! There is a 4-flats A2 on eBay right now that I'm tempted to pick up just so I can order another LED ring, but I already have two A2s, surely I am not worthy of 3! Very tempting but I will have to pass this time.

By the way, the UV LEDs sound like serious business! I take it they are only good for very specific purposes and are useless for anything else?

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast

You have certainly made significant progress with these since I last perused these forums, the proposition of a multi-mode driver ring is an outstanding idea! :thumbsup:

I am curious of the UV frequency you'll be using as an optional component...

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes I noted that later, just didn't see it in the opening thread eh? :D

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast

SemperAptum, 91FromStars and Maxbelg, your packages have been shipped! :twothumbs

The bad news is that Canada Post served their 72 hour strike notice this morning, which means mail service could stop Thursday @ midnight. Hopefully they reach an agreement, otherwise I may have to just stockpile these for a while and ship them all when it's over.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dioni and DavidS, your rings have been shipped.

jsmitty1967

Newly Enlightened

I will take one of the warm white rings. Just PM when you are ready for PP. Thanks!

shomie911

Enlightened

:takeit::

1 x Single Mode Warm White (Nichia NSPL500DS, 22000mcd, 15 degree, ~3300K)

$17 + 7 = $24 TOTAL

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Knuckles

Newly Enlightened

PayPal sent for mine, thanks!:)

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast

A few Wednesday morning updates:

• Knuckles, your ring went out this morning. :thumbsup:
  • I completed 4 more warm white rings last night, so PM's have been sent to a few people.
Now a bit of bad news: after much deliberation I'm increasing the cost of the rings from $17USD to $22USD. My 1st generation rings sold for $23, but since I'm getting the PCB's fabbed and no longer have to etch them myself, I thought I'd lower the price to $17. I made that decision before I actually had a chance to actually sit down and construct some of the new ones though. As it turns out, these actually take longer and are much harder to create than the original ones.

The 4 rings I made last night took a little over 5.5 hours of very painstaking measuring, clipping, placing, centering, soldering, fitting, testing and packaging. At $17 I'm barely covering the cost of materials. Combine that with the fact that shipping outside North America is costing me more than $7 and it's a pretty crummy situation. A few dollars more to cover the labor I put into these would really make them more pleasant to produce.

As you can tell, I feel a bit guilty about raising the price but I hope you can understand the reasoning. The 4 people receiving last night's rings still pay $17 but everything after will be the new price. I completely understand if anyone wants to cancel their order but I really hope you won't - I believe they're worth the price. :)

Cheers,
- calipsoii

jsmitty1967

Newly Enlightened

I am fine with the price increase and still want one (warm white). i would not expect you to build them for free!

shomie911

Enlightened

A few Wednesday morning updates:

• Knuckles, your ring went out this morning. :thumbsup:
  • I completed 4 more warm white rings last night, so PM's have been sent to a few people.
Now a bit of bad news: after much deliberation I'm increasing the cost of the rings from $17USD to $22USD. My 1st generation rings sold for $23, but since I'm getting the PCB's fabbed and no longer have to etch them myself, I thought I'd lower the price to $17. I made that decision before I actually had a chance to actually sit down and construct some of the new ones though. As it turns out, these actually take longer and are much harder to create than the original ones.

The 4 rings I made last night took a little over 5.5 hours of very painstaking measuring, clipping, placing, centering, soldering, fitting, testing and packaging. At $17 I'm barely covering the cost of materials. Combine that with the fact that shipping outside North America is costing me more than $7 and it's a pretty crummy situation. A few dollars more to cover the labor I put into these would really make them more pleasant to produce.

As you can tell, I feel a bit guilty about raising the price but I hope you can understand the reasoning. The 4 people receiving last night's rings still pay $17 but everything after will be the new price. I completely understand if anyone wants to cancel their order but I really hope you won't - I believe they're worth the price. :)

Cheers,
- calipsoii

I placed an order yesterday, will this still be covered under the $17 pricing or will I be bumped up to the $23 pricing?

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast

I placed an order yesterday, will this still be covered under the $17 pricing or will I be bumped up to the $23 pricing?

Well, I'll tell you what. Since it said $17 when you placed the order, we'll go with the new price being effective for every order received after yours. Only fair. :)

Chongker

Newly Enlightened

Mike, paypal sent your way =)

While I'm grateful for getting in with the cheaper price, I still think that with the increase they will still be good value for what they'll end up doing and the amount of time and effort going into each one. I'll probably be coming back for more when the multimode ones are ready, but for now, just waiting for my lone ring to cross the Atlantic

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree 100%. The A2 is an exceptional light - shame on me for not experiencing it sooner - but those LEDs are not so good. My 2 (so far) are 1 white and 1 red - the white is cold and bluish and I'm not a fan of red. I bought these two lights at significant discounts - to be able to upgrade the LEDs to a warmer tint to match the goodness of the incandescent bulb is very valuable to me! I think even the $22 price is a bargain, and I appreciate Calipsoii supporting the community by offering them to us!! :twothumbs

(Now I just can't wait to get 'em...):devil:

Mike, paypal sent your way =)

While I'm grateful for getting in with the cheaper price, I still think that with the increase they will still be good value for what they'll end up doing and the amount of time and effort going into each one. I'll probably be coming back for more when the multimode ones are ready, but for now, just waiting for my lone ring to cross the Atlantic

scout24

Flashaholic

read my PM before coming to the thread... Paypal(s) sent! Thank you... :)

shomie911

Enlightened

Well, I'll tell you what. Since it said $17 when you placed the order, we'll go with the new price being effective for every order received after yours. Only fair. :)

Thanks! I'll most likely be buying one or two more in different colors later on. :thumbsup: