How can I mod the EnVee?*(cant really find old thread)

abeepak1

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know how to mod the EnVee (PGL-IIIA)?
If So...
How do you take it apart?
What mod is possible? Is there a POT?
Were there any significant side effects when you did it?
What was the power rating after the mod?
Was it worth going through all the trouble to mod it?

Thx alot everyone for your help!
Looking forward to all replies.

Best Regards, Satoru :faint:
~('-'~) ~('-')~ (~'-')~

Last edited:

Apex007

Newly Enlightened
1. Unscrew the front cap (NOT the shutter, the whole cap).

2. Unscrew the aluminum retaining ring, needle nose pliers with one point stuck in each hole work nicely but don't slip or you'll scratch that lense!

3. Gently slide a pencil (eraser side!) down into the tube from the back and push the unit out of the front.

4. Find the little screw next to the negative contact spring on the back of the laser module. Turn it clockwise a SMALL amount, no more than 20-30 degrees.

This will give you a moderate increase in output (maybe 10-20mw), and a moderate decrease in diode lifetime (3000 hours -> 1000 hours).

If you turn up the pot too far you will be amazed with the output, followed by panic that you damaged the laser when it starts mode hopping. The laser gets hot, the dot projected from it turns into a blob, then deforms even more. Turn it back down until it stops doing this.

5. Put it back together.

Apex007

Newly Enlightened
One more thing I'd like to add is that every laser has its own "personality". Yours may react well to this mod, or it might not. That's why I emphasize not going overboard with turning the pot.

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
These lasers react much less drastically through turning up the pot than a common pen-type laser. If the laser is underperforming, the output should go up a bit. However, if it's already set to its optimal level, output won't increase and the only result is possible mode-hopping and decreased diode life.

abeepak1

Newly Enlightened
Sry guys but... What exactly is mode hopping?:confused: BTW Is there a way to bypass the pin that has to be inserted in the back cap of the laser? Thx again for all your help!:grin2:

Daedal

Newly Enlightened
Well, don't take my word for it, but here's how I understand it. Lasers operate in several different modes that include TEM00, TEM01, TEM10... onwards. When a laser is operating in TEM00 (preferred for pointer-style uses) the laser is ONE solid beam. When it's operating in TEM01 then it has 2 beams on top of each other, and TEM10 is 2 beams side by side. Deriving from that, mode hopping means switching between the modes of operation depending on input/performance/temperature... etc.

I hope I'm not wrong. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will shed even more light about the topic.

--DDL

SenKat

Enlightened
Some of the different modes can be kind of entertaining - but generally only if it is someone elses laser ! You can have four or more beams exiting hte aperature at the same time - looks kinda neat ! Uhm - but only if it is someone elses !

brighter

Newly Enlightened
SenKat said:
Some of the different modes can be kind of entertaining - but generally only if it is someone elses laser ! You can have four or more beams exiting hte aperature at the same time - looks kinda neat ! Uhm - but only if it is someone elses !

Dang, I never saw someone elses greenie (live), especially entertainig one! Therefore, I must entertain others with mode hoping for now...:(

SenKat

Enlightened
One thing I thought of - try cleaning the battery contacts really well - if it is mode hopping, it COULD be that not enough juice is getting to the diode to enable stable lasing....Give it a shot, it cannot hurt !

Apex007

Newly Enlightened
Sry guys but... What exactly is mode hopping?:confused: BTW Is there a way to bypass the pin that has to be inserted in the back cap of the laser? Thx again for all your help!:grin2:

I didn't like the interlock because my laser would dim unless you jiggled the plug. So I unscrewed the white nylon insert in the endcap and soldered a very short copper wire between the two sections of the interlock socket. Now my output is rock solid and I don't need that plug (I think the key lock is enough)

It's a tight place to work though and wouldn't suggest attempting it unless you're fairly good with a soldering iron.

There are ways to modify the plug itself that aren't as invasive as my method. I just like the clean look of doing the work from the inside instead of having a modded plug stuck in the hole.

Apex007

Newly Enlightened
That's about it, it's such a good laser to begin with that I wouldn't suggest doing anything else to it.

abeepak1

Newly Enlightened
How do I take the inner part out of the back cap? I Unscrewed the nylon part out, Now im left with the innerparts. How can I take it out to solder the parts?

bozo

Newly Enlightened
I have an envee that when i turn the pot screw it dosent seem to effect the laser even when i turn the screw a few times is thier any way to make it work or any other way to mod it other than the pot

Apex007

Newly Enlightened
How do I take the inner part out of the back cap? I Unscrewed the nylon part out, Now im left with the innerparts. How can I take it out to solder the parts?

You can't. That's why I mentioned before that it's a challenging place to solder.