How do flashaholics shovel?

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any decent LED light would probably be painful to use with the reflection from the white snow, not to mention looking silly to the neighbors.

As part of the Flashoholics's Creed, I am obligated to look silly to the neighbors shining my lights around at least twice a week.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
As part of the Flashoholics's Creed, I am obligated to look silly to the neighbors shining my lights around at least twice a week.

+1 especially when it's snowing like crazy and the light is rigged on a shovel.

I can't find my camera any where, but my light is Twofish lockblocked on a Backsaver Grip http://www.backsavergrip.com/. Works perfectly as I can aim it exactly where I need it.

I'd like to add that my backyard doesn't have any light, hence the need of mounting one to a shovel and when I do the bottom of the driveway, I want to be visible to vehicles.

LightCannon

Enlightened
I use something like this when I go out camping in the snow. Sometimes, when the four-season tent doesn't seem manly enough, I dig out a snow cave:

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3667581

Since most of my lights are small enough to be troublesome when taped to the shovel (it's a pain to remove) I generally don't do it, and instead opt for a cigar grip in my rearward hand, or a forehand grip in my leading hand.

Alternatively, i just stick the light (more like lights) into the snow, bezel up if i need to see, or bezel down if its for general lighting. The snow acts as quite a good diffuser, and actively cools the light as it runs.

The last time I did this was with a D10, although now I DO have a EagleTac P100A2 that is perfectly tapeable.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
8" on the way tonight.. i'll have to see about mounting something to my shovel. :)

Good luck my friend! I too have 6-10 coming my way and I am going to shovel like a true flashaholic!

If there's a task, there's a way to do it by flashlight and it's our geekish duty to find every variation, shame on all of you who suggest doing it in the daytime or using fixed lighting :banned:

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I am so inclined to shovel, then I simply turn on the 6 fluorescent floodlights over my driveway.
I have been using my ROP for not as well it areas because of its high output; it can also melt some snow as a last resort.
Of course my snowblower has headlights, so additional lighting is not usually necessary...
(sorry, I couldn't help it)

Superdave

Enlightened
no pics but for kicks i tossed together a C2 with a LF-EO-9 bulb and some AW 123's with a FM34 diffuser and zip-tied that to my shovel.

I also tried the U2a and to my eyes the LED light reflected a lot more off the snow. The diffused incan beam was actually helpfull, the LED was not.

the best part was shoveling 8" of snow with a huge splinter broken off in my foot. :sigh:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I learned a lot on CPF last year [ I love CPF] in a similar thread about snow shovels. I'm not such a good modder yet when it comes to lights and electronics, although I'm getting better. When it comes to bikes & skis and other wood and/or metal things I have better luck. Here is my latest mod for the winter:

Note the ProPoly 4AA attached and ready for night duty. I figured a workhorse light would do well on a contraption like this.

1001511w.jpg

Earlier version before the flashlight upgrade and kickstand removal. Still have the freewheel to remove. I re-used some of the tubes of the bike to extend the handle, an old seatpost fit into the bottom and is the sleeve that the shovel is attached to.

It works on two of the most basic mechanical principles, the wheel and the lever. You get the snow onto the shovel blade, then push forward and down, and it vaults the snow off. Since you never have to lift the snow or the shovel, it's pretty easy. The heavier the snow is, the more of an advantage there is. I've used it twice so far, and got a lot of fun and satisfaction doing it. I even did the neighbors 80 foot long driveway last time it snowed.

Last edited:

Latest posts