How do you describe this hobby without sounding nuts?

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF helps me through the workday. We get two brief breaks and a half hour lunch to collect ourselves. I've been working with behaviour disturbed, attention deficit, cognitive impaired, and autistic elementary students for more than a decade. And while the kids Can be trying, it is usually adults who really gum up the works.

Taking a few minutes to check out the Forum is distracting/relaxing. Sometimes I'll laugh out loud when a member writes something clever, or not so clever. When a coworker notices what I am doing, sometimes they question my interest. I explain that there are some talented individuals contributing their knowledge and experience, and most people have no idea how much goes into portable illumination. A couple of times, when asked, I have read out loud from a post that has technical information. Each time, the inquisitor just kind of went back to what they were doing and never questioned my interest again. They didn't have a clue what had been said (But then again, sometimes I don't either; but I like it anyway)

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

Peace Train

Enlightened
One of my favorite quotes is from Star Trek the original series in the episode "Shore Leave"
Kirk: "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play."

Gotta love it :)

100% agree Poppy!! Play is such an important part of life that can get forgotten as we "grow up." You may know that Einstein with his complex mind was a huge proponent of silliness and play. It gave him such a sense of peace, happiness, health and well-being that freed his mind to make the discoveries he made. Which reminds me: I've gotta stop getting so bogged down in all the technicalities of flashlights long enough to shine 'em into a sky full of stars just for fun, and go where no man has gone before...
w00t.gif
animated-smileys-startrek-065.gif

Poppy

Flashaholic
100% agree Poppy!! Play is such an important part of life that can get forgotten as we "grow up." You may know that Einstein with his complex mind was a huge proponent of silliness and play. It gave him such a sense of peace, happiness, health and well-being that freed his mind to make the discoveries he made.

I didn't know that, but I am glad to hear it. :thumbsup:

billbebob

Newly Enlightened
Well, I have not really mentioned to any of my family yet. My wife will definitely not get it at all. I do keep my purchases to a minimum as to lessen the arousal of suspicion. I like Monocroms saying there is always 100 percent chance of darkness:)

msnake103

Newly Enlightened
I'm fortunate enough to have been collecting tools such as knives and flashlights long enough that family and friends don't really question it anymore. The only thing I usually have to explain nowadays is the rare occasion when I am NOT carrying such a tool, as it is assumed that I always have them on me. I got to justify my habit at a friend's wedding recently, which was held inside a tent on the beach. The lights were briefly turned off in the middle of the reception, apparently because we were making too much noise and the hotel staff got a little hostile. I had my Zebralight SC52 with me, and the little guy reflected enough light off the roof of the tent for everyone to see clearly for about 5 minutes until the lights came back on. It was a good thing too, they had the bride and one of her uncles upside down for an inverted tequila shot when the lights went out (can't imagine why anyone would have thought we were being too loud).

TheVat26

Enlightened
I can relate to all your posts. Maybe I'm up on the crazy list. Example for work (LEO) I want a quality light to supplement my Pelican 7060. I've spent nearly 1K on many lights (Klarus XT2C 470, 580, 725. Klarus XT11 600 and two 820's. Klarus RS11. Three Jetbeam BC25's 650, 800, and 960. Malkoff MD2 high/low. Fenix PD35. A couple of Solarforce hosts with nailbener drop in's, and 5+ 2 cr123 back up lights).

No one I know thinks its an unusual hobby, especially at work considering that most nights there is always one of my buddies to calls or radio's me to spare them a light for the night. I've even caught myself noticing Maglites at people homes during calls to see if there is a upgraded led in there (also, it's officer safety issue as they can be converted into zip guns. We stopped a guy awhile back, and he kept wanting us to give him his 6D maglite back. Closer inspection we discovered it was primed with a buckshot round!). My family, myself included thought the junk $3 as cell incans at Walmart were what flashlights were all about. Now, I've become the family researcher. Christmas time last year, I gifted about 10 5.11 Atac A1's and everyone loves them.

My problem is we deal with nasty people and stuff, and I don't want to get my lights "dirty". I use them occasionally, but keep going back to my trusty Pelican 7060 and my nightstick tac 200 for backup. Maybe the thrill and anticipation of unboxing the new lights is what excites me the most with this hobby. I've got a light on order right now, and for some reason I'm also wanting to buy the Nitecore P20. Wish I lived near Going Gear, save me some money. At least my shelf looks impressive at home.

J4S1X

Newly Enlightened
My girlfriend gives me grief for collecting and I just return it by asking why she collects so many purses and shoes...seems to work for me :)

EV_007

Enlightened
Don't even try. Most people don't appreciate the quality, or cost, of flashlights-until they need one and you happen to have yours on you. Most consider paying over 10 bucks is crazy for a flashlight.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Don't even try. Most people don't appreciate the quality, or cost, of flashlights-until they need one and you happen to have yours on you. Most consider paying over 10 bucks is crazy for a flashlight.

LOL... that's so funny, but true!

Geeez it's almost two years ago, that I first came here, looking for a wooded area Search and Rescue light. I thought I would be a BIG SPENDER, with a $50 budget! LOL... Thanks to our friend TEEJ, I spent about $180 on batteries and a charger! He definitely pointed me in the right direction for a light though. IIRC I spent another $180 on one light and a hundred on the back-up. But all said and done... if I save someone's life because I have the right equipment...

Yeah... maybe I'm not crazy?
:)

Speedfreakz

Newly Enlightened
I liked the discussion about needing/carrying an umbrella when there is a chance of rain, there is always 100% chance of dark.
It's a tool, what do you pay for a good tool that will last? If that doesn't work then I crank my lights up to turbo then they start to understand:p

Last edited:

pblanch

Enlightened
Loved reading this thread.

I don't explain. But when someone pulls out an inferior light and tells me how good it is, I give them the tour of the flashlights in my bag.

JBPA40 and preon 2AAA titanium (usually brighter than the D cell maglites everyone seems to love)

And that's just in my travel man-bag.

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Not always easy... but I tend to go with "less is more".

I have been called out by a few of my friends for collecting lights but I just tell them that I'm a boy-scout - always prepared! I also tend to quote Monocrom as well that there is 100% chance of darkness every day.

Still, three of my buddies who know of my obsession tend to be quiet about it in mixed company but they sometimes engage me in conversation about it... funny thing is that two of them are quite fascinated but can't see themselves spending more than $30 for a flashlight. The last one used to be active member on CPF but has since moved on now that he is a single dad with two kids. But, he still has about 12 Surefires in his collection. :devil:

Interestingly enough, the wife of my good friend is likely a closet flashoholic since she kept asking my friend to ask me to set them up with a few decent flashlights for when they BBQ, for those times when things-go-bump-in-the-night, an EDC light for her purse... too funny.

At the end of the day, if pressed, I just quote the first retailer who sold me my first two Surefires: when I asked if she considered me crazy for spending so much money, she shrugged and replied... "Hmm... everyone needs a hobby" and, "no one is getting hurt".

mudcamper

Newly Enlightened
ALL hobbies sound stupid to those with no interest in them.

For example, stamp collecting...really, stamps that you can't mail stuff with...in a book? Try to get ALL of them? Why?

If it doesn't appeal to you, its going to just seem a waste of time. On the other hand, its a little popular, in that people at least have HEARD of stamp collecting, and, if they hear YOU collect them, they at least think, well, I guess he like stamps.

Coins are slightly different, in that they at least have nominal value...so people can rationalize that you could at least take a rare quarter and put it into the gumball machine and get a gumball, etc.

For both examples, most people also know that BECAUSE people collect stamps or coins, etc...that THAT makes them have additional value (To OTHER collectors), so a collection having monetary value is the part that they can make a mental connection with.

If your hobby is collecting something they never heard of....and therefore have no knowledge of similar collector value factors, etc...it then swings back to interest....as in "WHY?"

A LOT of people collected baseball cards for example, and, they know SOME cards become very valuable (To other collectors), and that one day, they may be able to sell some rare signed rookie card for a hall of famer, etc, and retire. Most cards end up in a shoe box somewhere, and the collectors never sell them, as they last looked in the box when they were ~ 12 years old, etc....but when you say you collect baseball cards, it can strike a warm fuzzy feeling.

Flashlights on the other hand don't tick any of these boxes. Therefore, nothing you say will convince anyone one of anything other than your eccentricity.

I personally do not "Collect" flashlights, and, its not a "hobby".

I use them for aspects of work, etc, and I look at them more the way a mechanic looks at his tools.

IE: If a mechanic says he has a lot of tools, and is referring to the tools in his tool box that he uses as part of his job...no one thinks, "wow, a guy who collects tools".

They can understand that a mechanic uses tools, so, he has them.

I know SOME of us here DO collect lights, and DON'T use them regularly...and refer to the ones that are too purdy to use as "Shelve Queens" etc. THAT'S different, and, you should just accept that you ARE eccentric. (If we were all the same, life would be boring...so eccentricity is not a bad thing per se, unless you want to be one of the "cool kids", etc...)

As some here have also mentioned, it IS DARK sometimes, and, a flashlight can cure that. If someone who notices you have a flashlight in your pocket when the power went out at work, their stuff rolled under the car at the mall parking lot, etc....and wonders "WTF would he have a flashlight in his POCKET?!?!?!", its easier to explain that you find them handy for things like this....and to NOT mention you could have pulled 4 others out if need be, or, that you have a lighted case of additional ones on display at home, and so forth.

I DON'T have a display case, etc...but, I DO tend to have multiple lights with me because I DO use them for work, and I work 7 days/week 24 hr/day (Or at least am on call, etc...). IF someone ASKS about a light "Its really bright/OMG/HF!", etc...I might venture a limited amount of info to ping them. If they seem interested, sure, the flood gates open and its off to the races. If they exclaim some initial amazement at the light, and say ask where I got it/how much...I might just answer that, and see where it goes...typically along the lines of "$25, for a FLASHLIGHT?!?!?!? That's INSANE!!!!! I can buy a flashlight with batteries at Walmart for $3!!!!!!" etc....the ping says they are probably not interested.

Occasionally, either instead, or afterwards...they think about the difference in LIGHT from a $3 special vs the insane $25 keychain light..and ask another question...and the ping says to add incremental info as requested.

This has lead to coworkers, clients, random people I run across, transitioning from the world of the $3 special to the world of real lights...or lasers, etc, depending on the context.

Last night, I sold an old car to one of my kid's friends for ~ $350 (It was an 18 year old Subaru) and while he was checking it out, I was playing with a laser. After he bought the car, he fell in love with the laser....and now wants me to have Tmack make HIM one too. 5 minutes of 3 watt 445 nm beauty changed his world view...and he now sees the laser which costs ~ as much as the car he just bought, as worth just as much, etc.

:devil:

That is a great post!

I just tell them that I'm a boy-scout - always prepared!

That's what I have taken to doing. It shuts most unenlightened up pretty quickly. It also works well for guns, knives, lighters, and any number of other useful tools that people need, but never have, and think I'm weird for having them.

Illum

Flashaholic
Some hobbies does not need public attention, and its not that its necessarily a bad thing, but people makes it seem like a bad or strange thing. A few hardcore gunnuts or bladeheads know this well, especially if it brings unnecessary concerns to people who lives around you. Now if you have alot of open minded characters beyond your fence, you could enjoy the sense of unity and accomplishment sharing the wealth of knowledge on your hobby.

Most people [dare say 80%+] consider the flashlight as a tool and tool only. It doesn't matter if its bought from the mom and pop shop behind the flea market or the premium quality snap-on tool set, a 3/4" wrench is a 3/4" wrench. Sure it could have ratcheting ability or even a fully automatic one that turns the darn thing for you, but no one will be convinced for a typical household you'll need twenty some 3/4" wrenches in different lengths. XD

I recommend you to begin with a subtle reintroduction, like providing light at time of need. Contribute a sense of value into it, make it feel needed. Then sometimes the wheel turns by itself. Most people down here don't realize it, but they have hoarded flashlights for years and years and years. Why? Hurricane season duty-free buying. Those who have been through the mess knows light is important, but that doesn't mean they really care that much about it when there's no crisis. So batteries leak, lights get lost or stashed away somewhere, then people will go buy new ones. If they can't put a $1 2D light in a safe place without losing it, how confident do you think they are on buying a $200 light that's 2 inches high? :)

Last edited: