How do you keep your kitchen knife sharp?

nollij

Newly Enlightened
+1 on the Spyderco Sharpmaker. I have an Edge Pro for when I feel like spending some time on the job.
+1 for me too. I use the Spyderco Sharpmaker when I'm in a hurry and just need it "good enough" and I have an EdgePro for the times when I want the kitchen knives hair popping sharp.

pumps

Newly Enlightened
There is a commercial knife shop about 10 minutes from me. They sell lots of different equipment for the kitchen . I take my knives in and they sharpen all of them for $10. 4 big chefs knives and one smaller , what I call a paring knife. I found out about them when they started providing a knife service for various fire stations (I'm a firefighter) for $10 a month. They pick up the dull ones and drop off sharp ones. Same thing they do for restaurants. Always have a sharp knife for cooking.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a commercial knife shop about 10 minutes from me. They sell lots of different equipment for the kitchen . I take my knives in and they sharpen all of them for $10. 4 big chefs knives and one smaller , what I call a paring knife. I found out about them when they started providing a knife service for various fire stations (I'm a firefighter) for $10 a month. They pick up the dull ones and drop off sharp ones. Same thing they do for restaurants. Always have a sharp knife for cooking.
Do you know what sharpening equipment they use?

Poppy

Flashaholic
That sounds like a deal!
I spoke to a near by sharpener. His rates were significantly higher. I would have to buy more expensive knives to make it worthwhile. IIRC an example of a brand he recommended was Cutco.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
It
That sounds like a deal!
I spoke to a near by sharpener. His rates were significantly higher. I would have to buy more expensive knives to make it worthwhile. IIRC an example of a brand he recommended was Cutco.
It depends on what equipment they are using, what kind of cutlery you have and what results you expect.

pumps

Newly Enlightened

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't sharpen the paring and utility knives anymore. I let my wife sharpen them with the holder that be she keeps them in. The last time that I sharpened the knives on my Lansky diamond hones, she cut herself. I keep the chef knife wicked sharp, but I am the only one who uses that.

troutpool

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about Ginsu, Farberware or Miracle Blade--knives that are never supposed to need sharpening? Anyone have any experience with these? I have an old Crock Stick ceramic rod system that I use and like. Used to have an Arkansas stone, but that was many years ago.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about Ginsu, Farberware or Miracle Blade--knives that are never supposed to need sharpening? Anyone have any experience with these?

I have never been all that impressed with ginsu, farber or any knives that "never need sharpening" - all knives need to be sharpened at some point. Serrated knives will stay sharp longer than plain edges and will continue to cut or at least saw/tear when they are fairly dull, but they do need to be sharpened to cut properly.

My favorite serrations are actually the tiny ones Victorinox uses on their paring knives; these have all of the advantages of a serrated blade but cut smooth like a plain edge and are a breeze to sharpen on a Sharpmaker.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about Ginsu, Farberware or Miracle Blade--knives that are never supposed to need sharpening? Anyone have any experience with these? I have an old Crock Stick ceramic rod system that I use and like. Used to have an Arkansas stone, but that was many years ago.
All knives get dull. That type of marketing is an empty boast, like saying that a flashlight produces 10,000 lumens, but only measures 900 on the sphere. Ceramic knives also get dull eventually, but then they can't be sharpened, at least not without time and expense that exceeds the price of replacement. Ceramic knives also chip and break more easily and usually aren't terribly sharp.

Reactions: xxo
All knives get dull. That type of marketing is an empty boast, like saying that a flashlight produces 10,000 lumens, but only measures 900 on the sphere. Ceramic knives also get dull eventually, but then they can't be sharpened, at least not without time and expense that exceeds the price of replacement. Ceramic knives also chip and break more easily and usually aren't terribly sharp.

But there really are knives that can cut through a boot, right? I seen um on the TV at 3am. :yellowlaugh:

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a similar system to the lansky that I picked up years ago and a strop. Takes a while to get a good edge but does a decent job. It's also a bit therapeutic.

I have a Ken onion worksharp and even though I got good results, it comes out slightly different every time so I have to use coarser belts and work my way down so I haven't used it in a while.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do I keep kitchen knives sharp? Keeping the good ones away from dear wife is the primary strategy.
Spyderco small paring knife needs some attention here. The American made Rada serrated Tomato cutting knife is a winner

How do I keep kitchen knives sharp? Keeping the good ones away from dear wife is the primary strategy.
Spyderco small paring knife needs some attention here. The American made Rada serrated Tomato cutting knife is a winner.
I don't own a Rada, but use a Lanky ceramic pull through for most my kitchen knives. My large serrated I use a fine to ultra fine India flat tapered hand stone. Usually should not take too much time to get your edge back. As long as my wife hasn't used it to cut up cardboard boxes, or in the garden..

nollij

Newly Enlightened
I don't own a Rada, but use a Lanky ceramic pull through for most my kitchen knives. My large serrated I use a fine to ultra fine India flat tapered hand stone. Usually should not take too much time to get your edge back. As long as my wife hasn't used it to cut up cardboard boxes, or in the garden..
I think the consensus I'm seeing is that the way to keep your kitchen knives sharp is not to let the wives use them. I have the same problem… my wife uses the kitchen knives like they're a utility (throw away) blade. If I want anything to stay not ruined, I have to hide it. <sigh>

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
My kitchen knives get sharpened on paper wheels on a Harbor Freight bench grinder.
I can go from dull to phone book paper slicing in about 3 minutes.

Last edited:

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
This 15N20 blade was sharpened on a KME. 20 degree angle with Gunny Juice
To give a reference to the number...around 50 is a Feather DE safety razor blade.
It's my knife but I didn't do the sharpening.

51713085997_b6bf566ff2.jpg

thermal guy

Flashaholic
My knife sharpening skills suck! My kitchen knives are as sharp on the front of the blade as they are on the back. I just use serrated blades now. The plus is you can't tell when I nick them