how hot should a grill get?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i understand low and slow is best ina grill but for us steak eaters how hot should a good grill get? i think most high end steak houses cook at like 900 degrees afor a rib eye

jeff51

Newly Enlightened
Depends on the grill. Pellet grills need heat deflectors to spread the heat around. Don't think any of the get hotter than 700F - if that.
Charcoal gets good crusts from the heat as well as the IR from the glowing coals.
Infared gas cooktops on outdoor grills can get wicked hot.
Most restaurants use a Salamander oven that heats from the top. Like a super broiler. No flame-ups to deal with.
Or they start it over something hot to get the char - then finish in the oven. Depending on steak thickness.
Others have an actual grill to get the char.
The 900 degree oven is a "signature" of some specialty steak houses. Most restaurants don't have anything like that.
A lot use the sous vide method. Keeps the meat ready to go. Hit it with a Salamander or a torch to finish it off.

Nothing beats the flavor of a wood fired grilled steak.
All the Best,
Jeff

Kestrel

Flashaholic
CastleBravo1.gif

Reactions: hsa

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
i understand low and slow is best ina grill but for us steak eaters how hot should a good grill get? i think most high end steak houses cook at like 900 degrees afor a rib eye
Low n slow is the best in a bbq. For a grill, higher is better generally. But depends on what you're talking about. And are you talking indirect heat, or direct heat? My charcoal gets to 900 degrees. Gas grill probably 500. For steak I've tried it all and my favorite is a cast iron pan. I use a 65000 btu gas burner and get that pan screaming hot.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Damn I miss steak was better off money wise when I made this post lol. But I like my grill for barbq chicken . But it came with a bad gas line lol. Had to get a new one