how many killawatt hours should i get out of this solar set up

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i have 2 12 volt batterys in parallel . there like 100 amp hour per battery so 200 combined.. how many kwh hours should i get i have them ran into a inverter for ac 120 volt

idleprocess

Flashaholic
12V • (2 • 100AH) = 2400Wh DC
You'll lose energy in the conversion and higher draws will decrease efficiency in the batteries and inverter alike, dependent on the specifics of the components.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
12V • (2 • 100AH) = 2400Wh DC
You'll lose energy in the conversion and higher draws will decrease efficiency in the batteries and inverter alike, dependent on the specifics of the components.
+

Exactly, ^^^^^^ the curve isn't linear with higher Amp draws

More important::: tell us about your solar controller raggie.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
think i got only 1.4 kwh but thats not bad for a 1000 dollar solar eray

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
think i got only 1.4 kwh but thats not bad for a 1000 dollar solar eray
+

You don't connect batteries directly to solar panels.

So you need the panels~solar controller~batteries

raggie33

*the raggedier*
my system is panels to controler then to 2 x 12 batts then interor to a sine ac device

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

When assembling, always connect controller to batteries, then panels to controller ~ very important
Do the reverse when you disassemble (disconnect the panels first)

edit: reword

Last edited:

Galane

Newly Enlightened
i have 2 12 volt batterys in parallel . there like 100 amp hour per battery so 200 combined.. how many kwh hours should i get i have them ran into a inverter for ac 120 volt
Spend the $ on Lithium-Iron-Phosphate batteries. They have almost double the usable capacity of Lead-Acid or Nickel-Metal-Hydride. They have more usable capacity than Lithium-Ion.

So if you have 200 Amp-Hours of Lead-Acid you can use 100 Amp-Hours (more or less) of LiFePo4 because "deep cycle" Lead-Acid batteries get damaged when drawn down more than 50%. Nickel-Cadmium, Nickel-Metal-Hydride, and Lithium-Ion all have lower charge limits that drawing below will damage them.

LiFePo4 can be drawn down to almost zero. It also tolerates being charged to 100% and being held there long term. These batteries have become very popular with RVers because they can opt to cut a lot of weight for their solar system storage at the same capacity, or add capacity with less weight reduction by replacing each old battery with a higher Amp-Hour battery or adding more batteries if the vehicle has room.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spend the $ on Lithium-Iron-Phosphate batteries. They have almost double the usable capacity of Lead-Acid or Nickel-Metal-Hydride. They have more usable capacity than Lithium-Ion.

So if you have 200 Amp-Hours of Lead-Acid you can use 100 Amp-Hours (more or less) of LiFePo4 because "deep cycle" Lead-Acid batteries get damaged when drawn down more than 50%. Nickel-Cadmium, Nickel-Metal-Hydride, and Lithium-Ion all have lower charge limits that drawing below will damage them.

LiFePo4 can be drawn down to almost zero. It also tolerates being charged to 100% and being held there long term. These batteries have become very popular with RVers because they can opt to cut a lot of weight for their solar system storage at the same capacity, or add capacity with less weight reduction by replacing each old battery with a higher Amp-Hour battery or adding more batteries if the vehicle has room.
+

LFP batteries are two things, incredible on performance & longevity and expensive.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
raggie, if you get into your solar charging more, very much consider going 24V and wiring your stuff in series.
Less overall wiring & just alot easier to get all your watts.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

LFP batteries are two things, incredible on performance & longevity and expensive.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
raggie, if you get into your solar charging more, very much consider going 24V and wiring your stuff in series.
Less overall wiring & just alot easier to get all your watts.
Now...if he only had a flux capacitor...and 1.21 gigawatts...and a DeLorean...

jtr1962

Flashaholic
+

Both in terms of number of cycles and calendar life. Prices are starting to fall under $100/kW-hr for new cells, less if you're capable of making your own battery using cells from battery salvage places. Many times you can get cells which are practically new at bargain prices.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i just got 100 buck walmart batterys well stupid core charge gomt me for another 20 bucks