E bus fleet out of commission in cold

No motors in EVs. Just in hybrid vehicles.
iu.jpeg

mrfixitman

Enlightened
I have some reduction in range in cold weather, but I still get there. You have to plan ahead and know your vehicle. ICE vehicles also have reduced range and reliability in the cold. Many times the electric vehicle will run in the cold. In the Texas Ice Storm disaster a few years ago it was the natural gas infrastructure that failed. Not the renewables.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Eletric is the future..i say this as a guy who have worked as a mechanic at one point well a shade tree one but done engine work from trans work

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Unless I missed it. the article didn't say what the battery chemistry was. Either way I suspect someone wasn't paying attention to the operating temperature range specifications of the batteries.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Unless I missed it. the article didn't say what the battery chemistry was. Either way I suspect someone wasn't paying attention to the operating temperature range specifications of the batteries.
The various lithium chemistries all have a similar operating temperature range (-20°C to 50°C according to the link below):

However, they all lose quite a bit of capacity when temps get below freezing.

Sodium-ion does way better at low temperatures but it's not common in EVs yet:

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is not that they forgot to read the manual about temp range of batteries. even if they did it would not change anything, No doubt this decision was political, and came from above, in the name of the green agenda.
It could have been avoided if they installed a gas supplemental heating for batteries, but that would expose the fallacy behind the whole movement, and how unrealistic it is in today's world.