Teslas quit charging in cold

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once again showing why the vast, Vast, VAST majority of vehicle owners do NOT want these POS EV's

I really don't understand why it is so difficult to understand
I agree. I don't get the hype. You really have to plan your days in advance with charging.

What if you get home from a long drive and need to charge up, then an emergency occurs and need to get to the hospital etc. your screwed. You'll then have to call for an ambulance, wait for it to arrive, then get transported to hospital and get a huge ambulance bill in the mail. No thanks. They can shove those EVs up their ***. Every time I see one on the road I wanna push it off the road

Not to mention I think those Teslas are so ugly

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Honestly, who does this surprise?

It really nails the point on how it's beyond unrealistic to try and say Canada has to go EV by 2035 or whatever.
Truly violently cold in central Canada.

Truth hurts**I'll say that till I'm banned
Watch this thread get closed for the truth

btw, hybrids aren't EVs'

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

Wonder why they didn't forsee this obvious problem. Even Lead acid car batteries deteriorate significantly in uber cold weather. Assuming these are Li-Ion and apparently need to be at a certain temp to accept the charge? Or maybe it is a failure of the Tesla fast charger unit?

Slightly off-topic, but also relevant to Teslas:

A Tesla Model Y hit my vehicle while we were both stopped at a red light. The Tesla was in front of me by about 6-8 feet and at the crosswalk line. My vehicle shuts off the ignition when idle at a stop with the foot on the brake (some European gas saving measure). It'll start the engine once the brake is released enough to allow the car to roll, so I'm 100% sure I was not moving at all as my RPMs were at zero. I saw the Tesla roll back with brake lights on and no reverse lights. I honked the horn to warn the Tesla driver but he still bumped into me. We got out and I asked him why he rolled back, he denied doing so; therefore I said we need to park to inspect the vehicles and swap info if needed.

Fortunately there was no damage to either vehicle, but when I asked him if he had his foot on the brake, he said no. He depended on the auto-hold feature that engages the brakes when the throttle is completely let go. Clearly the Tesla system is flawed in that it won't detect a slow roll on a slight incline, and/or the brakes are not held firmly enough when at a stop. I advised the other driver to use the brake when stopped like a normal car.

A quick Google/YouTube search shows this is not an isolated incident.

I'm an old fashioned gasoline engine, manual transmission guy, so I'm very troubled by how many people depend on computers and driving nannies to keep them "safe," while they are far from reliable.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I just re-read the posts in this thread. I see no hint of politics. Did something get deleted that I missed?
No, not yet.

EV threads tend to go the wrong way at some point. Mr Ed gives waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more freedom for these kind of threads than the previous regime. And as long as members don't start hurling insults and blaming one camp or the other the thread goes on.

adhoc

Newly Enlightened
There's 3 ways to precondition the Tesla battery.
Set navigation to a supercharger.
Use the scheduled departure feature.
Precondition manually.

Regardless, have to plan ahead, allow time.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wonder why they didn't forsee this obvious problem. Even Lead acid car batteries deteriorate significantly in uber cold weather. Assuming these are Li-Ion and apparently need to be at a certain temp to accept the charge? Or maybe it is a failure of the Tesla fast charger unit?
Apparently the battery needs to be preheated to charging temperature (above freezing) before the charger will charge. And apparently you need to preheat with battery power which is why you can't run the charge level down too much. It also seems that the chargers where having issues with the extreme cold as well. Having to run the heat for hours while you wait for a charge doesn't help either.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Slightly off-topic, but also relevant to Teslas:

A Tesla Model Y hit my vehicle while we were both stopped at a red light. The Tesla was in front of me by about 6-8 feet and at the crosswalk line. My vehicle shuts off the ignition when idle at a stop with the foot on the brake (some European gas saving measure). It'll start the engine once the brake is released enough to allow the car to roll, so I'm 100% sure I was not moving at all as my RPMs were at zero. I saw the Tesla roll back with brake lights on and no reverse lights. I honked the horn to warn the Tesla driver but he still bumped into me. We got out and I asked him why he rolled back, he denied doing so; therefore I said we need to park to inspect the vehicles and swap info if needed.

Fortunately there was no damage to either vehicle, but when I asked him if he had his foot on the brake, he said no. He depended on the auto-hold feature that engages the brakes when the throttle is completely let go. Clearly the Tesla system is flawed in that it won't detect a slow roll on a slight incline, and/or the brakes are not held firmly enough when at a stop. I advised the other driver to use the brake when stopped like a normal car.

A quick Google/YouTube search shows this is not an isolated incident.

I'm an old fashioned gasoline engine, manual transmission guy, so I'm very troubled by how many people depend on computers and driving nannies to keep them "safe," while they are far from reliable.
Do you have a dashcam? that would be interesting to see. my uncle's acura has auto hold on his rdx, but it does not light up brake lights when engaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.