easiest food to grow in the summer.? in the southern usa?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
At the rate we are going America will have a population of 1 billion people living here. I think we will run out of bugs. Then it's Soylent green. And get out the scrapers. Lol
No, we're good. There are giant states in America where the population is practically non-existent. We hit 1 Billion, places like Wyoming are going to get the overflow.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
It depends on the animal. My first rabbit was a rescue and she was a complete jerk. One day she decided to start chewing on the baseboards. She wasn't taking NO for an answer, so I put hot sauce on where she was chewing. The damn rabbit started LICKING the hot sauce off the baseboards. Tears were coming out of her eyes and she was sneezing and sniffing, but she licked it clean...then started chewing again.

Then again, this is the same rabbit that attacked my neighbor's Doberman and actually won. She saw the dog when we opened the door, put her ears back, growled loudly at him, then ran underneath him and started attacking his Achille's tendon. She was the Monty Python rabbit.
Hey, this rabbit stew tastes a little wooden. No offense. 😉

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have this old rabbit that terrorized the dogs of the previous owner. You do not want to get between her and her food.

Our other rabbit was raised as an equal with our dogs but she knows to not get underfoot when they get to romping. She is an absolute sweetheart and fun to be with; really rare I think.

When I visited Randy (PFlexPro) in the Atlanta metropolitan area years ago, I asked him about his projects that were in his large basement work area. Other than flashlights (he had a LARGE integrating sphere, seriously professional equipment to apply potting compound to electronics), we talked most about his vermiculture used to improve the soil in his yard (heavy clay). The worms came from another country, I think South America. He was breeding them in his workshop, then releasing them on his property.

Interesting individual. After he got contracts to refurbish federal entity flashlights (told me it is against the rules to promote oneself by discussing those contracts), guessing he moved on to other pursuits. He was consulting with a filter manufacturer back then.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
We did find that hotter peppers tended to have less animal damage. For the last few years we have been growing a mix of Thai bird chilis and Habanero / Scotch Bonnet peppers... typically once or twice a year we find that an animal pulled a single pepper off the plant, took a single bite and left it on the ground.

It would be worth some time and money to get a video of that :)
Last year, I planted about 30 sweet pepper plants and near 50 hot pepper plants. Hot peppers can take 5 months to grow. The gophers got all of my pepper plants except for one bell pepper, one banana pepper, and one jalapeño pepper plant which got potted right before the gophers could get to them. The gophers then tried building up mounds around the pots as ramps and digging holes underneath the plants trying to either climb up or tip them over. Gophers have no problem eating the roots, branches, and leaves of spicy pepper plants. They don't like the peppers themselves, but each gopher will bite into one before realizing this, same as full sized onions. It's more effective to go to a business Costco and get a gallon jar of sliced jalapeños for under $6 and push them down a gopher hole with a stick. They learn quicker that way to leave the garden alone. It's always leaves a smile on my face seeing the jalapeños pushed back out another hole with a couple bites in them.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast

Another source easily found online:

Over 2 billion people are estimated to eat insects on a daily basis. Globally, more than 2,000 insect species are considered edible, though far fewer are discussed for industrialized mass production and regionally authorized for use in food.
Shall we accept all the weird practices? There are nations that eat dogs. Why not to evaluate nutrition effect of those ones?

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you ask yourself what the hell is going on?

Right to that moment the human kind was extremely effective and prosperous (the population number of the planet says it all). Suddenly a group of people starts propaganda of eating all kinds of crap. And please don't start this about saving something when these same people use child slavery to mine cobalt in one countries and poison land to the horizon to mine lithium in another countries.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Shall we accept all the weird practices? There are nations that eat dogs. Why not to evaluate nutrition effect of those ones?
One hard and fast rule in America, we don't eat intelligent animals. Dogs, Cats, Horses, etc. Stupid animals are fair game! That's why we eat so much Chicken in America. Unfortunately the best example of just how stupid they are is horrifyingly gory! So, I won't go into details; here.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pigs are said to be quite intelligent, though the ones I've met never really connected with me. Dogs have evolved to coexist with humans; are very connected to us in so many ways.

Looks like some think their own culture is the only culture worth living. Meanwhile the meat industry continues to inefficiently squander our resources ignorance does not see.

But then again, we eat meat regularly and not insects (not even lobster or escargot).

raggie33

*the raggedier*
One hard and fast rule in America, we don't eat intelligent animals. Dogs, Cats, Horses, etc. Stupid animals are fair game! That's why we eat so much Chicken in America. Unfortunately the best example of just how stupid they are is horrifyingly gory! So, I won't go into details; here.
this explains canabislm lol

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
this explains canabislm lol
In the U.S., we coddled and protected a generation of stupid people. If we hadn't, they would have died off. You can see them frequently holding up signs saying "Defund the Police", "Eat the Rich", or "Gays for Palestine". Their self-destructive behavior, that if lead to their desired outcome, would lead to their deaths and anyone around them. Society expects us to not only tolerate their stupidity, but embrace it or be negatively labeled and shunned for not declaring their stupidity as brilliance.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i go to store i see a grown man with his pants below his butt . i dont know whom is more dumb him or me for saying pull u ya damn pants lol

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was working at a small mom and pop food prep place that had some fruit trees with a picnic bench under one of them. When the fallen fruit was not fit for humans, they let a pot bellied pig roam around that area. One day the pickings were getting slim. The pig came up to me fairly politely, asking for some of my food. Not wanting to set a bad example, I spoke harshly at him to go away. That pig had such a sad, rejected countenance. Made me feel guilty for being rude.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
had pork roast tonight it was so yummy sadly i love the fat the most so cripsy