easiest food to grow in the summer.? in the southern usa?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
prefre something thats healthy i have lots of sun in summer. im sick of paying good money for produce! i like potatoes tomatoes cucumbers etc i dont have much soil just ga clay

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ive aite meal worms before i had 1000 pf them lol had to at least try some

bykfixer

Flashaholic
If the soil is clay it will struggle to absorb water quickly. Plants get their food from the water they drink, absorbing the nutrients in the water.
Adding sand to the clay will allow water to absorb quicker and stay in all of the pores between the particles.
Mixing in leaves in the fall helps too.
Soil prep is probably the biggest factor in a successful garden.
Earthworms are also great at aerating the soil. Introducing them into a garden spot is also a good thing. Aerated soil allows roots to spread and find nutrients.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
cool in my back yard i blow all my leaves to back near fence. soon as i get brave im gojg to clean it up that damn vine with thorns is back there i hate that darn vines lol

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I always have a garden. Not a very good gardener, however. Tomatoes and cukes require some effort, but peppers (bell or hot) don't need much more than water. They seem to take their time producing, but they'll continue til the first frost.

Geoff

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tomatoes and peppers need to be grown from seedlings first. Tomatoes are nightshades and you have to avoid growing other things around them or you'll poison yourself with the nearby crops. Peppers take forever to grow and the gophers end up getting most before harvest. Best to grow 50+ in a bucket or two in coconut core. Plant them all early in the season as seedlings taken out of the coconut core, then when they get large enough for the gophers to go after them, start transplanting them from soil to pots.

Potatoes, get some large IKEA bags and poke holes in bottom with soldering iron. Then line bottom of bag with gravel. On top of gravel mix a third dirt, potting soil, and fertilizer (horse poop). Put in some potatoes and water regularly. Don't leave in area that will overheat.

Easiest plants to grow are lettuce, spinach, radishes, carrots, and onions. Plant these directly in soil. No need for growing from seedlings. Lettuce will grow year round in warmer climates and can be harvested in a month or two. Same for spinach, though it doesn't like the cold quite as much. Carrots can handle some mild freezing as well. When their leaves grow out, throw some dirt on them. Do this at least a couple times as they grow for large carrots. Onions are not liked very well by gophers. They will eat them, but they'll only take one bite out of a big onion before looking elsewhere for food. It's best to plant onions at the edges of your garden to keep the critters out. Some onions can grow to 3 lbs.

When I grow onions, I usually also grow cilantro for tacos. Crack the seeds in half. Put them on a paper towel. Wet the paper towel with warm water. Place the paper tower in a zip lock bag not sealed shut in a warm, completely dark location for a couple days. Then plant in soil, potting soil, or coconut coir. In the summer, grow cilantro in a partially shaded area. Too much heat and it will bolt.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
cool garden rocks i never had the abilty to do so in my last home geting excited been here 7 months or so but never tried when i got here. would love to eat what i grow. could do small pots on last home but had to kind of hide them.

Start with some garden soil offered at most big box home improvement stores. Mix it with your existing soil or build yourself a 4' x 6' raised bed.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah definitely put organic material mixed in with your garden soil (have you been composting your kitchen vegetable waste?) but one metric some of us use is not spending more money on gardening stuff than what it would cost to buy quality vegetables from a store (assuming horticultural success, which is not guaranteed).

raggie33

*the raggedier*
free food is my jam wht buy what you can grow. and as i sad before we dont even have a grocery store in my city. ... but wooohoo there building a dollar tree imso excited they sell food and other stuff

Monocrom

Flashaholic
free food is my jam wht buy what you can grow. and as i sad before we dont even have a grocery store in my city. ... but wooohoo there building a dollar tree imso excited they sell food and other stuff
I would strongly advise NOT buying food at any .99 cent store or Dollar Store. Stick to the supermarket.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
its are only choice lol unless i want to go to alabama lol they have rice and beans there sardines are toehr stuff

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Not sure if they have them, but I suppose some Dollar stores might have both rice and beans. That's good eatin.' (Just as long as you put cut up pieces of cooked hot dogs into the bowl with the rice and beans.)