BYD, threat to US automakers or the new VW BUG?

mrfixitman

Enlightened
Due to tariffs BYD already has an electric bus factory in Southern California. If you ever drove through the LA basin with watering eyes you understand why. Something has to change.BYD has some affordable vehicles in other markets. You can buy them in Mexico. They very possibly will build a factory here like BMW, Nissan and VW. Sodium batteries and other cost cutting technology will be used.

https://electrek.co/2024/03/06/byd-launches-cheaper-seagull-ev-9700-price/

TPA

Enlightened
I've driven through the LA basin and never had an issue with watering eyes. Perhaps that's too much marijuana smoke getting to people now. Truth of the matter is that the majority of LA's power generation is fossil fuels, with a substantial amount being coal. This ratio is even worse at night, when most EVs are charging.

That said, I welcome cheaper EVs on the market. Do I want one? That's a hard NO for me. BUT, I'm glad to see more options come onto the market.

mrfixitman

Enlightened
I'll probably just keep maintaining my old American bicycles and spend an EV/electric bike money on some Lucifer headlamps or Lupine bike lights.
My wife spent $1,000.00 on a folding electric bike. I rode it to the library to test it out and only used level 3 of 5 and was very impressed. That said I think it's better than mopeds of the last century and should be licensed for both vehicle and rider. These are serious transportation and not toys. https://lectricebikes.com/products/...OCbFAe5ykC_DCRLOQo_ZfSAIA-F4flaIaAsJGEALw_wcB

mrfixitman

Enlightened
I've driven through the LA basin and never had an issue with watering eyes. Perhaps that's too much marijuana smoke getting to people now. Truth of the matter is that the majority of LA's power generation is fossil fuels, with a substantial amount being coal. This ratio is even worse at night, when most EVs are charging.

That said, I welcome cheaper EVs on the market. Do I want one? That's a hard NO for me. BUT, I'm glad to see more options come onto the market.
Doesn't seem to be the majority. It's production is in Arizona and Utah. Downwind and thankfully away from the basin.
1710449902408.png

mrfixitman

Enlightened
Not sure about Chinese EVs, but I do predict this Gif is on the horizon:

View attachment 59116
Just everyone be civil. It's not the content, it is the abusive language. I laid out some information. People are expressing their opinions very nicely so far. Keep the fearful speculation low and the facts coming and see some benefit. Or a real problem, if there is one. Google your fear. See if it is valid. Then raise the red flag.

Buff

Enlightened
My take is the big cities could possibly use rail and EV's and ride bicycles and what not. Most trips are short and the population and structures are dense.
Where i have a problem is people think one size fits all solutions are good for people who live in the country. We are spread out have lots of trees and rivers and mountains and animals farms, ranches and above all, clean sweet air.
So if y'all wanna fix your problems go right ahead.
But i go by the old adage "If it ain't broke don't fix it.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
My take is the big cities could possibly use rail and EV's and ride bicycles and what not. Most trips are short and the population and structures are dense.
Where i have a problem is people think one size fits all solutions are good for people who live in the country. We are spread out have lots of trees and rivers and mountains and animals farms, ranches and above all, clean sweet air.
So if y'all wanna fix your problems go right ahead.
But i go by the old adage "If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Given the nature and scope of the article linked in the initial post, it is understandable that we would continue to discuss the wider picture that has been going on in earlier threads.

'One size fits all' being foolish for sure, lets not paint a picture that it's all sweetness and light in the more open, less populated areas. Living in the country and boasting about it like there are not serious problems is not helpful. The ignorant might think they should move out of the cities, thus making things more crowded for many of us outlanders.

Data can be scoffed at if it does not fit one's personal narrative, to the detriment of (democracy?) social cohesion. This release seems to say that life expectancy is lower, farther outside cities. Medical access and alcohol/drug abuse are pointed out.

Last edited:

TPA

Enlightened
Doesn't seem to be the majority. It's production is in Arizona and Utah. Downwind and thankfully away from the basin.
Those are very wishful numbers compared to reality. Again, the sun doesn't shine and wind doesn't blow when most EVs are recharged at home. Knocking those out, these EVs are majority fossil-fuel powered.
"...production is in Arizona and Utah" -- Great, so California pollutes other states and promotes inefficiency due to transmission losses of moving production large distances from consumers, but as long as it's not in their borders it's A-OK.

Buff

Enlightened
Another way to look at it. EV's and solar power are great and superior in the most intended environment, SPACE. No fossil fuels on the moon or mars or floating in open space. Seems there is a lot of sun light and zero clouds?

sim1tti

Newly Enlightened
Those are very wishful numbers compared to reality. Again, the sun doesn't shine and wind doesn't blow when most EVs are recharged at home. Knocking those out, these EVs are majority fossil-fuel powered.
Yeah but it's not all or nothing. Less pollution is better than more pollution.

Even with the national average, Charging EVs using the current energy grid produces much less pollution than running cars off of gasoline engines. As the grid gets cleaner, it skews even further.

sim1tti

Newly Enlightened
"...production is in Arizona and Utah" -- Great, so California pollutes other states and promotes inefficiency due to transmission losses of moving production large distances from consumers, but as long as it's not in their borders it's A-OK.
Like you say, wind and solar don't meet all the demand when it's most needed. California has a massive energy storage shortfall so it does import some dirtier energy. Mainly natural gas energy during night time hours.

The state is doing a lot to get away from these arrangements. Dumping resources going into improving its long duration energy storage capacity (reservoirs, large scale batteries, etc.). Getting better, quickly. Still a LONG way to go.

sim1tti

Newly Enlightened
Really good article, though seemed to be more about what it takes to water LA.

Man, the Owen's Valley sure has paid the price to make LA possible. Manzenar meets Chinatown. Can't blame anyone for looking at future California plans with suspicion. The 20th century projects did not involve enough impact assessment or mitigation.

Buff

Enlightened
Our technology is always getting better. Gas engines spewed all that unburnt fuel back in the day. Now a days they burn way cleaner and then there is clean Natural Gas too. In the future they will even be better.
But I question why the anti carbon dioxide crowd wants to take away what all the plants/trees/vegetation need to live? And without the oxygen they make out of the carbon dioxide they absorb we are dead soon after.
Same crowd also screams for massive depopulation of the earth so i guess it fits their plan to a T.

Reactions: TPA

mrfixitman

Enlightened
To store all that renewable energy PG&E installed the largest battery in the world. In August, Vistra announced completion of the 350 MW/1400 MWh Phase III of its Moss Landing energy storage facility, bringing total capacity there to 750 MW/3000 MWh, currently thought to be the world's largest operating lithium-ion battery installation.