How Long Should Deep Cycle Batteries Typically Last?

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased a Ryobi RY48140 48V Brushless 54 in. 115 Ah Battery Electric Riding Zero Turn Mower in April 2021. It uses 4 LEOCH 12 Volt 115 Ah Deep Cycle Batteries. It worked fine summer 2021 and last year. This year, even with a battery indicator showing plenty of battery capacity, the mower deck will stop mowing.

Should a deep cycle battery usually last more than two seasons of use?

Also, can I, or shall I say should I, replace those with a different battery type?

If so, what and can the same battery charger be used?

turbodog

Flashaholic
Your links are bad...

Are these flooded batteries... can you check/add water?

If so, keep water checked.

Regardless, lead-acid do NOT like being run down, deep cycle or not. I'd really try to stay above 50% DOD.

If they are flooded batteries, I've had very good results with the noco brand chargers, specifically in their 'repair/recondition' mode. You will have to charge one at a time to repair them.

That said... check blade motors for issues. Are they stopped for an unrelated issue?

Reactions: JAS

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your links are bad...

Are these flooded batteries... can you check/add water?

If so, keep water checked.

Regardless, lead-acid do NOT like being run down, deep cycle or not. I'd really try to stay above 50% DOD.

If they are flooded batteries, I've had very good results with the noco brand chargers, specifically in their 'repair/recondition' mode. You will have to charge one at a time to repair them.

That said... check blade motors for issues. Are they stopped for an unrelated issue?

No, these batteries a sealed.

turbodog

Flashaholic
They look similar to these?

1684445091137.png

DRW

Enlightened
I generally get 3-4 years out of my deep cycle batteries.

I bring them indoors in October. Add distilled water as needed. Put them on a maintenance charger (NOCO GENIUS1) for the winter. Reinstall to the boat, camper, and mower in April.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Someone suggested replacing the OEM batteries with these.

Would they be a suitable replacement?

And, if they are a suitable replacement, what charger would be suitable for these?

They are smaller so get ready to make some spacers from 2x4 wood or something. That's the easy part. But they are also lighter... and depending on mower layout/design this might affect traction.

Charger??? Dunno. You'd have to 1) get with the seller and find a recommended one 2) hit the forums for advice.

If the mower is sensitive to voltage... not sure what these might do to the functions that are triggered from it. Yes, it's a '12v' battery, but it doesn't take but a fraction of a volt to indicate a charged/discharged lead acid battery.

Charge your setup fully, then get the batts tested. You can test them as normal lead acid with 600 cca. You may find you only have 1 bad one.

I just replaced a UPS pack of 4x100ah sealed lead acid this week. Only 1 was bad. The others tested over 600 amps under load. If you lived close I would give you the 2 best ones I kept.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
One great thing about functioning LFP batteries is they do not have the kind of internal resistance that Lead Acid will. Their voltage drop is very slight for most of their capacity cycle. Proper charging is a big deal, though. Protect your investment.

As far as affecting traction; good question but probably will be fine. Replacing lead acid on an electric forklift with LFP is when issues arise, because the lead batteries are also the counterweight for picking stuff up.

turbodog

Flashaholic
It appears to be a common comment regarding the batteries:

Very bad reviews. Not too surprising given that it's lead-acid tech though. Best case would be 4-5 years probably. That's the high end of lifespan I see on standby UPS units... and those packs are hardly ever used.

mrfixitman

Enlightened
Everything powered by batteries I own, that has batteries I convert to lithium or Nickel Metal Hydride. C cell flashlights are a direct replacement using A123 26650 cells with adapter. 3 cell Maglite gets 2 at 7.2 volts. Bulb upgrade possibility. I sold my eGo Scooter a couple years ago, that was upgraded to lithium using two used Valence U1-12RT 12.8v 40Ah Lithium Iron Magnesium Phosphate batteries. Still working. Price on used units less than lead. Have longer life. Makes sense to find alternatives and convert.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Possibly one of the challenge isn't the battery pack itself, but the charger.

I am not certain, but it looks like the charger is built into the mower and it takes a pretty decent charger / maintainer setup to keep batteries in good condition.

If the batteries have been stored all winter without being plugged in - many set up will fail.

Li based batteries are great - but if your shed is going to experience freezing conditions, then something like AGM or similar might still be better.

DRW

Enlightened

dragosios

Newly Enlightened
Their lifetime depends on how they are used and maintained. It depends on how much they are used during sessions in numbers of discharge cycles and how deep those were.
Two seasons seems too little but again, check above, number of cycles is important too during those two seasons.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure but maybe this thread might be useful?