How many 5 meter rolls of SMD 5050 can be hooked together in series?

easytim

Newly Enlightened
I'm wanting to use more than one 16ft roll of RGB SMD 5050, how many rolls will work in series.

I have one RGB controller 12VDC 12 AMP how many LEDs will this drive?

Last edited:

kalekainxx

Newly Enlightened
You sure you have a 12amp controller? Most of them are only 6amps. Depending on your roll 36W or 72W, it should be either 4 amps or 8 amps.

easytim

Newly Enlightened
4 amp per channel = total 12 amps, I also have a 24 amp I forgot I had, this is 8 amp per channel + 24 amp

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well if you hook them electrically in series, you need more volts. But if you mean 'physically' in series (+ and - rails linked on as intended) then they're rated for about 1A per meter. Mine tend to get warm at half that when run continuously. Use one reel and measure the voltage drop so that you know what you're burning in power.

"How many can be" vs. "How many should be."

Well if you hook them electrically in series, you need more volts. But if you mean 'physically' in series (+ and - rails linked on as intended) then they're rated for about 1A per meter. Mine tend to get warm at half that when run continuously. Use one reel and measure the voltage drop so that you know what you're burning in power.

"How many can be" vs. "How many should be."

Agreed-

You might also need 'bypass' wires that are thicker gauge to carry current to different tap points- otherwise the strip may lose too much due to resistive heating.