How much difference is there between smart phone "Flashlights"?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I've had a mediocre smart phone for close to 5 years and although I rarely use the flashlight feature at the time I got the phone they all only had one camera lens. Now moving forward some have 2,3, even 4 camera lenses. The one thing I've realized is (I don't think) there is no second or 3rd LED emitter on these the flashlights on even the expensive cameras having been greatly changed. Imagine if you had a 500 or even 1000 lumen mode and a throwing and flood lens. Is there much of a difference in the "flashlight" of a 1500 dollar Iphone or top tear Samsung vs a $100 phone other than perhaps better CRi?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i cant belive how cheap smart phones are now mine was 89 bucks has 4 cameras fingerprint reader etc etc . i recall when the flashlight on the phone was just the screen on high lol god im old lol

3_gun

Enlightened
I'd have to have a "smart phone" to have an answer for you. My phone doesn't have a flashlight LED for the camera because it doesn't have a camera or wifi or the internet. My service costs $20 for 3 months + I can remove the battery

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mobi Mobile out of Hawaii costs about $13 a month for 1GB data and uses the Verizon network. One can use an iPhone 13 and that has a pretty pleasant light source with it.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
In a word, no.
Not much difference since the flashlight on a phone is the same "bulb" as the flash "bulb".

Now I would suppose an iPhone 13 would use a more robust LED vs the $89 phone, but maybe not. My music player is a $79 motorola if you buy the verizon anytime minutes. $180 for an unlocked version of the same phone. The "flashlight" is pretty much as bright as my iPhone 12 in output and tint. But the iPhone has 2 tiny LED's vs the motorola having one.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
In my casual observation, smartphone LEDs plateaued in raw output several years ago and have since declined as cameras keep improving their low light performance; I recall the Galaxy Nexus and 1st generation Moto X (2013) seemed to have similar output brighter than that which came before and after. CRI and color accuracy seem to have improved steadily however.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recall (but haven't checked recently) of LEDs specifically meant (and designated) for "flash" applications; possibly high peak current/output capability versus more regular continuous use. Of course these could probably operate at lower semi-continuous output for "flashlight" service.

Dave

here's something: