How often do you really use high or turbo with any of your LED flashlights?

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use max or near max output most of the time because I am often not sure of what I am looking for - so I light up the whole area.

Besides, wait until all of the young flashaholics age sufficiently and discover that they simply do not see as well in the dark. They will be forced to change their opinion about sub 1 lumen light levels. For me, 10 lumens is still meaningless. Only at about 30 lumens does the artificial lighting on small objects become useful.

No, I do not have any degenerative eye disease. As my opthamologist said, with age ALL eyes will suffer some loss of vision simply because the lens ages and progressively takes on a yellow hue which blocks more and more of the incoming photons.

If you let your eyes adjust to the darkness then 10 lumens is quite bright.

LGT

Enlightened
I use the high mode quite a bit, mainly while patrolling pole top electrical wires, as I wotk for a power company. Just because one may have no use for such a high mode doesn't mean the only purpose for these lights is a bragging point.

BWX

Enlightened
Thread: How often do you really use high or turbo with any of your LED flashlights?

All the time! Mostly looking for bears, or looking at other animals lurking around.. and inside you can turn your light on high and not even have to point it anywhere.. for instance with hands full going downstairs-- just loop lanyard around little finger and let D25LC2 dangle on turbo, you light up an entire room from floor/shirt/wall bounce!

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm toying with Li-ions and run a 14500 in a Quark AAX which puts out 280 lumens. But 90%+ of the time I use 0.3, 3 and 24 lumens as my LMH. I prefer letting my eyes dark adapt, it gives me better awareness of my surroundings when I use lumen levels more closely matched to ambient light - too bright creates tunnel vision and leaves me completely blind when the light goes out. Also don't particularly like changing or charging batts. I use max to show off and to spot deer eyes in the woods.

^^^This exactly!^^^

When I walk around in the woods at night, I want to be able to ensure that I dont lose my night vision, so that when the light goes out, my eyes dont have to adjust to what now "seems" like pitch blackness. If I had used a lower setting, then my pupils would still be large, and fairly well adjusted to the dark, but if I had the light on turbo, then my pupils would have gotten smaller since they didnt need to adjust as much because its so bright.

That and some lights get too hot on turbo.

That and because turbo/high isnt necessary for basic night time tasks.

That and it wastes batteries, and it forces you to cycle your batteries(recharge them) much more often, which wears them down faster.

That and it unnecessarily wastes electricity.

That and using high/turbo advertises your presence to everyone within miles! If not in an emergency situation, advertising your presence out in a forest at night might not be a good thing.

That and I just dont need 400-2200 lumens to walk our dog at night in the woods behind our house.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
None of my lights have ever been on my nightstand,
used to find the remote in a dark bedroom,
or to find the bathroom in the middle of the night.
I have a $1 Walmart AA keychain light for that.

I live in the Great Smokey Mountains Tennessee.
We have deer and wild turkey in the fields around the house.
Out on the trails with the dog at dusk,
it's good to have a very small super bright EDC pocket light
that can light up absolutely everything around me if need be.
Otherwise, I use no light at all and keep my hands free.

My family used to own a 38 acre mountaintop outside of Asheville NC, near Pisgah National park and Great Smoky mtns park and not too far from TN. It was traded to my grandfather, by a customer of his small custom furniture business in High Point NC, who was unable to pay his bill for some custom furniture he had bought to sell. Then after my family owned it about 50 years(but only visiting it 2 times in my entire life), we sold it and used the funds to buy a vaca home in SE Florida.

I didnt spend much time in that area, but I always heard about a giant Salamander that lives there(NC and TN, etc)called the "Hellbender" that gets up to 2.5 feet long and averages 3.3 - 5.5lbs.! When younger(1.5 years old) they can be mistaken for another large local salamander called the "Mudpuppy". I was never able to actually find a Hellbender when we visited the NC mountains near Asheville, or Boone. Have you ever seen one?

The mountains are nice in NC and TN, but they are nothing compared to the alpine peaks of northern DE.... Here we have to watch out for Grizzly's, Mountain lions, and Rams. Yep, here we have peaks that reach as high as 200 feet above sea level! You must carry oxygen bottles when climbing 'it'. LMAO

Anyway, that would be a great area to test out flashlights!