How to reset battery protection?

Barrie

Enlightened
same thing happened with my trustfire 18500
i was given a tip to try at my own risk from a member on here which was to do a parallel short and it worked fine for me
i haven't had any problems with the battery it charges fine now

carling

Newly Enlightened
I also use another protected Li-Ion(in parallel) to reset and "charge" the battery that has had its protection kick-in.

ACHË

Newly Enlightened
Looks like I've been lucky...

All my protected cells(AW's & ***Fire's) have charged fine after the protection has kicked in; even in my TrustFire TR-001 charger.

Tony Hanna

Newly Enlightened
Mine seem to rebound enough to reset the protection circuit once the load is removed. I wonder if the amount of current being drawn has an effect on this? For example: Would a cell that's been rapidly depleted by a high power led or incan be more likely to rebound enough to reset it's protection circuit than a cell that's been discharged at a low current over a long period of time by a multi-mode led light on low?

It seems to me that these chargers should feature a "Reset" button that could be held in for a few seconds to force charge a cell until the protection resets. I wouldn't think something like that would be very complicated or expensive to incorporate into existing charger designs.

liketotallyrandom

Newly Enlightened
Actually, I solved this problem with a very simple solution. I took a short piece of dual strand wire (like small speaker wire) and matched ends on a fully charged cell and the "protected" one. 5 seconds later, its up and running. Easy fix with no odd dc chargers.

Excuse my ignorance, but I just want to make sure I understand this solution. What do you mean when you say you "matched ends". Is that + to + or + to -?

bkumanski

Enlightened
Sorry, I should have said wired in parallel : + to + -to -, not in series. Like jumpstarting a car battery.

DM51

Flashaholic
Note to the OP and ALL members who posted - this is in the wrong forum. It should be in the Batteries section. I'm moving it there now.

Please take more care where you post threads, and to others - if you see a thread in the wrong place, please say so.

biker1

Enlightened
Formerly from NYC - Still Ruled by Commi Criminal
I know this is an older thread, but it pertains to something that happened to me today.
I had an AW R123A cell trip it's circuit today. I didn't know that the pcb resets itself.

I have read here that there are some chargers that charge tripped protected cells, while others do not. It appears from reading the above posts, people are under the impression that it is the Charger that is Enabling tripped AW Protected Cells to Charge.
While it is true that the Charger is charging the Tripped cell, it is because the AW pcb Reset itself before you ever put it into the Charger.
So therefore, the Charger is charging a NON TRIPPED cell.
If you have an AW cell in a flashlight that trips the pcb, the pcb resets itself once the load is removed.
I just found that out today, and when I came upon this thread while googling about pcb's, I wanted to include what I found out.
Others must have known this already though.

eastside66

Newly Enlightened
I had trouble with my trustfire batteries going into protective mode and the charger I have, ( a two cell charger ) would not charge them, ( just the green light ) so I put a fairly charged battery in the charger and it started charging, ( red light ) I then put the dead tripped one in beside it and it started charging , then I took the fairly charged one out and put the other tripped one in and both are charging normally, (( RESET! )) Hope this works for you!

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
This is an old thread that again is being bumped, however information presented is good, so we'll let it run.

Bill

IT_Architect

Newly Enlightened
I had trouble with my trustfire batteries going into protective mode and the charger I have, ( a two cell charger ) would not charge them, ( just the green light ) so I put a fairly charged battery in the charger and it started charging, ( red light ) I then put the dead tripped one in beside it and it started charging , then I took the fairly charged one out and put the other tripped one in and both are charging normally, (( RESET! )) Hope this works for you!
There are actually a few different scenarios that can cause this problem.

1. There is a safety feature to where it won't charge the battery if the cell voltage is too low. I've put my 1.2v NiMH batteries into my LiPo charger and wondered why the green lights were on when I knew the batteries were dead. After a frustrating 1/2 hour or so, I realize what I'm trying to do. Since the batteries only have a voltage of 1.2V or less, it refused to charge the batteries.

2. While the cell protection has not tripped, the WF-139 seems to be set a little higher than most other chargers, and thus refuses to charge the battery. Guys get around this by buying one of the cheap chargers that come with batteries, which require at least two batteries in them in order to charge. They put a fully charged one in with the dead one. It will start to charge. After a few minutes, remove the discharged battery and put it back into your WF-139.

3. The cell really has tripped. In that case there isn't much you can do. Normally, the only time this happens is when the batteries have been in a discharged state for an extended period of time during which they self-discharged below the shut off voltage or there is something really wrong with the cell.

Last edited:

Stormstaff

Newly Enlightened
I hope it's not an issue for digging up this old thread but I figured it was better to do that than to start a new one.

I have a Wolf-Eyes DX9 that runs on 3 x CR123's but I got the rechargeable kit at the time of purchase that had 2 x LRB-15A's (3.7v, 1400mAh Li-ion w/ protection) instead of. Well, one of the batteries says it's fully charged when it only reads 2.82v on my meter.

So, if I'm reading this right, I may be able to "jump start" the tripped one with a full one? My good one is at 4.16v

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Stormstaff,

That is correct. Hook the cells in parallel. That is + to + and - to -. It should only take a moment to reset the protection circuit.

Tom

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
I hope it's not an issue for digging up this old thread but I figured it was better to do that than to start a new one.

I have a Wolf-Eyes DX9 that runs on 3 x CR123's but I got the rechargeable kit at the time of purchase that had 2 x LRB-15A's (3.7v, 1400mAh Li-ion w/ protection) instead of. Well, one of the batteries says it's fully charged when it only reads 2.82v on my meter.

So, if I'm reading this right, I may be able to "jump start" the tripped one with a full one? My good one is at 4.16v

I might be wrong but wouldn't a tripped cell read 0V? It sounds to me like the cell(s) might need recycling. Or you might have a problem with the charger? :thinking: Hopefully someone who knows a bit more can confirm or correct.

Stormstaff

Newly Enlightened
I might be wrong but wouldn't a tripped cell read 0V? It sounds to me like the cell(s) might need recycling. Or you might have a problem with the charger? :thinking: Hopefully someone who knows a bit more can confirm or correct.

How do you recycle? Or am I off for another search? :D

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
How do you recycle? Or am I off for another search? :D

I don't know what the situation is for you I'm afraid. Here, lots of big electrical retailers and some supermarkets have used battery bins on the counter by the checkout. Failing that, you could try taking them to your local refuse centre, they usually have a seperate area for dealing with used batteries.

Stormstaff

Newly Enlightened
I don't know what the situation is for you I'm afraid. Here, lots of big electrical retailers and some supermarkets have used battery bins on the counter by the checkout. Failing that, you could try taking them to your local refuse centre, they usually have a seperate area for dealing with used batteries.

OH! That kind of recycle. I had it in my head as some term used here for something like resetting, LOL.

As far as resetting, can anyone give me a rough time frame on how long I should need to "jump start" one battery from the other before it resets? Ballpark? 10 secs, 30 secs, 2 mins? I don't want to short myself or burn something up