How to test the capacity of your cell phone battery

hamhanded

Enlightened
Android or iPhone? CoconutBattery is a freeware app for Mac that supports displaying the battery manufacture date, current full charge capacity, original design capacity, cycle count, temperature, and charging wattage of both the laptop and your phone.

hamhanded

Enlightened
It does, but it won't work with an Android device. Sorry I can't advise for Android.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Short of some means to limit the charging range in software with some neat integration with the OS to allow charging to 100% on a whim I know I'm not going to pull the charging cable at 80% with any regularity since I charge the phone overnight.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I use AccuBattery on my android phone. It works well enough. Definitely worth a look at.
Thank you, I'll check it out.

I have Asterios Charger Tester installed, and under "advanced" it said that my battery is "Healthy" but it doesn't do an actual capacity test.

1640091372224.png

linc90

Newly Enlightened
Accubattery gives you a capacity that it keeps updating as your battery gets aged. Is also gives you all the numbers for each charge and discharge cycle.
Unfortunately If you get the calculator out and start crunching the numbers nothing really adds up, so the accuracy of the data seems to be questionable. It's still the best that I know of on android. I will definitely never be going to apple myself so I'll keep using accubattery and hope a future update will help accuracy, or maybe I'll run across a better app one day. Dream big they say 😁

Poppy

Flashaholic
I installed it and it is running. Does it run in the back ground even when you close the app window? Or do you have to leave the app open all the time for it to be able to do it's calculations?

BVH

Flashaholic
Google "Chargie A", Gold edition for android. It's a combination of hardware (looks like a USB drive) and software charge limiting system. Very versatile. I've used them the a year with no issues. Set a primary charge percentage limit and a secondary charge percentage limit. When you plug in at night, it will charge to the secondary limit and then at an early morning time you choose, will finish charging to the primary charge percentage so that the battery doesn't sit at a "fullish" limit all night. I use 70% as my secondary limit and 84% as my primary limit. I have it do the top off at 5 AM so its ready for use at 6AM.

Qship1996

Enlightened
My Motorola Droid will be 6 years old in February and battery seems fine for daily use, gets left plugged in charging all night, every night. Bigger things to worry about.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Poppy,

Get a USB amp/volt meter, run the phone down to X, Y or Z, plug the USB meter into your wall wart and zero things out.

It's not the best way to determine capacity, as 'discharge' is the way to go, but it will give you an idea, minus any charger inefficiencies.

Chris