I did it! 9470 Lux from a LxIII - now 11200 Lux

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: I did it! 11200 Lux from a LxIII - new

Beretta, maybe you could just paint the heatsink under the leads with a little clear nail polish for some insurance against shorts. Or gently slide a short length of heatshrink tubing over the leads after soldering (slide 'em over the wires first, then solder, then move heatshrink into position) to electrically isolate them from the heatsink. It just makes me nervous to see those unprotected leads sitting there; if you dropped the light and were unlucky, the leads might short out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Also, don't use too MUCH thermal epoxy! The most important thing is a paper-thin, even coating on the underside of the emitter, then holding it in good contact with the heatsink until it sets. Large surface area but thin, even layer of epoxy will maximize thermal transfer. I've heard at least one horror story from someone whose epoxy layer was too thick, and ended up frying their emitter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Just my two cents, although for what it's worth, yesterday richpalm and I modded 5 lights in the "Milky Labs" with great success using this exact technique.

Anyway, your work looks really great! Keep improving the process and no doubt you'll have big things ahead. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

I have confidence in Marty -- I think although he May have used a smidge extra of Arctic Alumina, he pressed it all the way down until the emitter made good contact, see? So all the glue squished out is all...

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast

The excess epoxy is a result of the way I've applied it. The heat sink of the emitter has darned near nothing under it and is mostly in contact with the heatsink. I'd hate to get an air pocket or lump in there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

As for the leads, I've been working on that. I would hate to use shrink wrap and then have the need to go back and replace the emitter for some reason and not be able to de-solder the connections because of that. I guess I could just burn it away with the iron though.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

very nice work! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

in the past, i've used hotpink electrical isolation paint to keep the leads from shorting, but i'd like to try dusting glowpowder onto it.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's what I'd like to do in the future, but I need to get both of the necessary materials.