i have no class

raggie33

*the raggedier*
for real today while making dinner i realized i never once used the right fork or spoon or glass. i have 2 forks one huge spoon and a few arbys plastic cups. am i the only one?

If you chew with your mouth closed you have class.

If you refrain from burping, farting, or scratching at the dinner table you have class.

If you don't talk with food in your mouth you have class.

If you refrain from proping your elbows on the dinner table you have class.

If you don't reach across the table for the basket of rolls you have class.

How's your score?

People who consider themselves classy, aren't in my opinion. But it depends how one defines the word 'classy'. Treating people with kindness and respect is more valuable.

Yes, it depends on the meaning of class, or at least for the purpose of this conversation how one defines class.

Wouldn't treating people with kindness be considered classy, and therefore not be more valuable, but an attribute? 🤔

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
A truly classy lady does not consider herself classy; it's who she chooses to be.
Can showing respect and kindness be considered classy? To me, even bumbling or oblivious folks can be admirable for being respectful and kind, but would never consider them to be 'classy'.
Following some eating utensil procedure because an 'expert' says that's how you're supposed to do it is not a priority for many.

A truly classy lady does not consider herself classy; it's who she chooses to be.
Can showing respect and kindness be considered classy? To me, even bumbling or oblivious folks can be admirable for being respectful and kind, but would never consider them to be 'classy'.
Do you know of many, or any such people, bumbling, and/or oblivious, but still respectful and kind? I bet you don't. Those first traits are pretty much antithetical to the second group.
Following some eating utensil procedure because an 'expert' says that's how you're supposed to do it is not a priority for many.
Indeed, many of us were raised by wolves or a close facsimile. :) I, myself, am a one-fork kinda guy. Hell! I even use my fork as a knife.:yellowlaugh:

ledbetter

Enlightened
Surprising number of classy ladies have misophonia, or hatred of food or eating noises. So I think you're a pretty classy guy as long as you chew with you mouth closed and don't make too many grunting or slurping noises. Any fork works but I'm trying to use smaller ones so I eat slower. Inhaling isn't great for my digestion and don't look genteel!

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
for real today while making dinner i realized i never once used the right fork or spoon or glass. i have 2 forks one huge spoon and a few arbys plastic cups. am i the only one?

The way I see it, I've got moderate class but also a solid sense of utility. Goes for eating utensils and place settings, as well.

Can't recall the last time I made a meal where I did the place setting with multiple forks, spoons, etc. With most things, though, I tend to be a "Chinese soup spoon" guy. Very useful, those things.

Since I've always consumed a lot of water, I've got a handful of the old monster-sized McD's plastic cups. I suppose more, um, cultivated utensils would be a tall glass with a big pitcher of water, a "proper" fork and spoon.

So, yeah, there are a few of us out there.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
An interesting topic, do you mean food etiquette? In all my life I have not met people who would talk about some classes, in addition to the teacher of social science, who talks about the class structure of modern society. There were a couple of rather nasty types who made a scandal, if, for example, I wash my hands in a common sink and a few drops fall on the floor or a mirror, then they demanded that I wipe everything after myself, while in the toilet they themselves climb onto the toilet with their feet and They don't clean up their footprints. I have a set of 50 forks, 50 large spoons, 50 small spoons, 50 table knives, all stainless steel. Inherited from my grandmother. I use 1 large spoon, 1 fork, 1 teaspoon. The rest are in case guests come and need something to eat if they don't eat with their hands. For some people eat with their hands and they only need 1 spoon to eat liquid, but not always, some can drink soup and then eat the rest with their hands.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
If you chew with your mouth closed you have class.

If you refrain from burping, farting, or scratching at the dinner table you have class.

If you don't talk with food in your mouth you have class.

If you refrain from proping your elbows on the dinner table you have class.

If you don't reach across the table for the basket of rolls you have class.

How's your score?
I score a 3 but sometimes 2.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i lived on my own since around 15 years old and i admit i still have no idea how to wash cloths correctly lol. i just throw and cloths in one load whites reds etc etc. then i turn to mode that seems the most powerful to me. then i dry them leave them in drier to i wear them lol .im a mess

bykfixer

Flashaholic
On more than one occasion I've informed people - "I'm not really a nice person, I'm just well mannered." Nevertheless, I honestly confess, to only scoring a three. And that's at dinner. Lunch? Fuhgeddaboudit.
I was thinking of having a Welcome mat placed at my front door but that would be lieing so it's a generic mat.

And I love, love love me some cheese paper from a Wendys burger. But my socks usually match and I try to remember to say please and thank you.

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I never got into nor understood the fancy table setting etiquette. I was at a fancy family gathering once where everythikng was set up exactly per etiquette, and like a heathen I grabbed the "wrong" fork and started eating. I was a little embarrassed when the person next to me pointed out that I grabbed the wrong fork, but why did that really need to be pointed out? In my mind I exhibited more class than the other person in the moment.

I never got into nor understood the fancy table setting etiquette. I was at a fancy family gathering once where everythikng was set up exactly per etiquette, and like a heathen I grabbed the "wrong" fork and started eating. I was a little embarrassed when the person next to me pointed out that I grabbed the wrong fork, but why did that really need to be pointed out? In my mind I exhibited more class than the other person in the moment.

Was the person's tone condescending?

Latest posts