I lost my tk20 -sob-

ak645

Newly Enlightened
This past thursday Sandy brushed the s.Fla coast with tropical storm force winds and rain.While tracing out multiple overhead shorts at Davie & I-95 in the wee hours friday my trusted partner went missing.After much frantic searching I have given it up as permanently gone.Just a few hours earlier we had taken down a damaged street light pole.While the boom truck was grappling the top of the pole only one light could illuminate the top.Everyone was impressed.But for the tk20 it was just another day in the life.

So i need a thrower to go along with lf2xt and zebra headlamp.I could try to find another tk20 as they pop up for sale every now and again.Also under consideration is the Eagleltac p100a2 and Fenix e21.Any others to consider? Recommendations?
Andy

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Sorry to hear you lost your TK20.

If you can go a little bigger the LD40 has a very similar beam pattern and is brighter.
The LD40 is also discontinued but more recently and probably easier to find.

I have no experience of the new Fenix E-series lights but what I've read some are pretty throwy.

Ezeriel

Enlightened
I am a firm believer that the TK20 is one of the best lights ever made.
Sadly, there is nothing out there like it, but there are options.

A Fenix E40 is a solid upgrade to the TK20. It's low and medium modes very closely match the TK20's high and low,
and the E40s high mode is a good deal brighter than the TK20, maybe even twice as bright to the eye.

While the beam pattern is similar, it's slightly tighter, and wow does it throw.

The major downside is that it's tint is white, it's a nice white, very usable, but the TK20's tint is a thing of beauty.

...and if the E40 is too big the E25 is a 2aa light, it has the same lux/cd so I assume the same beam pattern.
Sadly, it to is white, but it has 3 modes, and it can tailstand.

...the E21's modes seem to be too close together, and it's neutral, so it's white, not warm,
but it does look rather tanky.

There are warm quarks out there, but I know nothing about them... I'm biased.

If you are looking for a 'Tank' of a flashlight, there's nothing like a TK20. You could use a TK20 to hammer all the lights I listed into
dust, and the TK20 would still work perfectly.

Edit: actually, on second thought, the E21.. it's about as close as you can get.

Last edited:

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you need something in the interim, how about the Romisen RC-F4 II NW at shiningbeam?
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]Only one mode, and uses cr123A, but the neutral is great, and uses the xr-e so it throws well.
The ET P100A2 with xp-e will throw very well, but they don't have neutral & xp-e.
The Fenix E21 c-w was upgraded recently, and the n-w was limited edition, so if you can find it, it is slightly dated.

ak645

Newly Enlightened
Great advice all.The Fenix ld40 would be nice except for the battery carrier.If UK and Streamlight can make 4xaa plastic lights with no carrier why can't Fenix? Same for e40 plus I need a neutral tint and it may be that the e21 is no longer available in neutral tint.Great find,Stienke on the Danish (mmm Danish) tk20's I may yet pick up another.Has to be aa light as I get free l91's at work.

I did find the p100a2 with xp-e q4 neutral (maybe an older model?) at Pinnacle so I pulled the trigger on that.

Andy

Norm

Retired Administrator
It has become too much work editing posts containing links (see the banner above) in future all posts containing links will be deleted.

Two post have bee deleted, If you really want to help the OP post per the rules - Norm

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
ET upped the drive current on the P100A2 from 750 to 850mA. ET has an xp-g with that circuit, but the xp-e uses the old design. It should more/less exactly match the TK20.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The quark turbo is nice. The old warm quark turbo replaced my old tk20. Just ordered 2 cheap cool white ones from going gear (the old logo stuff is selling cheap) :) 2 modes by twisting the head. Same as the tk20, but you can program each mode.

Also got some neutral white xp-g2 led's incoming. Maby i will put one in a turbo head:)

ak645

Newly Enlightened
ET upped the drive current on the P100A2 from 750 to 850mA. ET has an xp-g with that circuit, but the xp-e uses the old design. It should more/less exactly match the TK20.

Possibly the xp-g they're using has a lower VF then the older xp-e resulting in a higher current draw from the same driver without any other changes? It's all very confusing.Anyway if the performance is roughly the same I'll be happy.

A friend to whom I had gifted a tk20 to some time ago has agreed to trade it back to me in return for a spare ld25 I have laying around.Since the ld25 is (arguably) a better all around household light I feel this is a win-win for us both.If the performance of the p100a2 and tk20 is similar I will take the ET to work since its thinner profile will fit better in my tool bag and be more pocketable thus less likely to get lost again.

I will update when the new light arrives.

Andy

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
OMG you lost your TK20. Great to hear you got another. I would also buy one of those on sale Quark turbos. Cooler tint but kinda a good deal.

dj:litestick

Newly Enlightened
I enjoyed my TK20 too when I had it but it was just too long and bulky for a double AA thrower. I moved on from that settled with a LD40 which I still love for twice the runtime and almost output the TK20 was. Only drawback of the LD40 has is the battery carrier like someone said. Wished it was just a body load like what the UK has with their lights, but I understand the ergonomics and functions as to why it needs a battery carrier now.

You can also try the Quark AAx2 Turbo's. I picked up a couple and will plan on modding one to neutral XP-G2.