I need a flashlight that's small and hard to take apart.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: I need a flashlight that\'s small and hard to take apart.

Thanks for the info - yeah, knowing how stupidly inflated everything is here, I wouldn`t be surprised if I had to pay thaat much
shocked.gif

I`ll have a look round the Net later on and see what I can find.....

grin.gif

sstrauss

Newly Enlightened

Just a thought, some 3 year olds that I know are still prone to putting tings in their mouths. The PAL light is rubber armor. Won't hurt his teeth or the walls when thrown at Monsters.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think the Pal would be agood idea. It would also be a learning aid in so much as memorization skills for a youngster, learning the modes and cycle of button pushing for the different settings. the survivor model with minimum settings might be the right ticket as opposed to others that have a plethora of operating modes.
Just a thought.

B@rt

Flashaholic

Originally posted by webley445:
the survivor model with minimum settings might be the right ticket as opposed to others that have a plethora of operating modes.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The Survivor is the top of the line model with always on / low / high / strobe settings. The other models have fewer different modes, if you keep in consideration that the selector has more settings regarding brightness (7 levels), but no strobe.
I think you are confusing them with the Eternalights...
rolleyes.gif

The sanoprene case is a nice feature, but, as far as taking it apart, if you press the metal band at the right spot, not much pressure is needed to undo it and disassemble the light...
tongue.gif

This IMHO is ,even for a 3 year old, not very hard.

It is a very nice light, but not child proof...
frown.gif

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast

The PAL Workman might be a good choice for a 3 yr old. Only has ON & OFF, & if you leave it on, it turns itself off in 25 min. As far as takeing it apart goes, a wrap of electrical tape around the band should take care of that. TX

Saaby

Flashaholic

Well...the 3 year old in me wants one so I'll offer it up:

How about one of those lovely Fisher Price 6 volt lantern look alikes (With the red and green filters) only converted to LED or something like that. I was watching my neighbors kid the other day and I confess to disassembing it (Screwdriver Keychain, don't leave home without it). Took 4 C cells I believe so that means you could put a Dorcy Cool Blue "bulb" in or something. Durrable and, like I said above, it has the cool red and green filters built in! They were on special at Wal Mart the other day, now they come with a cool translucent body and even turn off after 8 minutes or something like that. What more could you ask for?

carbonsparky

Enlightened

Come on admit it. This flashlight is not really for the kid is it.
"Yes I bought another flashlight, but its not for me. Honest"

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast

No, it's really for the kid. I've got a couple on the way that I really don't need, but I am not ashamed
tongue.gif

Been down this road before with knives, audio equipment, camping and backpacking gear.
It's sad when we get past the point of even attempting to justify the stuff we buy, but like one of my friends says "you gotta have stuff"!

I added some new criteria after spending an afternoon with my little buddy, since he has determined that if he is able to pick up an object, then God must have intended it to fly. Good thing he can't pick up his baby sister!
I looked at Fisher Price stuff this evening, but couldn't find a light.
Found a Coleman LED that takes 3AAs, and is very compact. I got a kick out of thinking about him actually carrying a light around all the time. Going to look up some info on the PALights, and am thinking about the Reactor, too.
I may end up back where I started, with the Dorcy, since it practically lasts forever on a set of batteries, and seems pretty indestructable. Guess I need to get his input on whether it will be enough to tide him over 'til Christmas...by then the monsters may have developed a resistance to it, and require a Reactor to hold them at bay.
Serious stuff, choosing the proper defensive tools.

btw, thanks to everybody for the suggestions so far.

carbonsparky

Enlightened

Yes I can understand where you are going. I started my interest in flashlights when I was to young to remember. It is always fun to watch a inquisitive child trying to figure out how things work or to imitate the adults around them. Just watch out for button and coin cells with children. They are so small that they are easy to swallow and they can do a real number on someones gut. You probly realize that but since we are talking about sharing our interest in flashlights with children, it is good to remind everyone.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

Originally posted by Minjin:
Walmart has been selling Rayovac 4AA lights that resemble a Tec40 for about $4, batteries included. Its quite bright and with a RadioShack XPR103 bulb, its brighter than a Tec40 as I just found out last night. The plastic construction is relatively strong and for your application, one of its benefits would be that it uses a thumbswitch. This would allow you to torque down the head pretty good so there would be no chance of him taking it apart. Only downside is that I'm not certain as to how waterproof it is. But did I mention that its only 4 dollars?
wink.gif

Mark
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I prowl the flashlight section at Wallyworld at least once a week. Maybe 3 or 4 different stores in 2 weeks. WHAT RAYOVAC 4AA THAT RESEMBLES A TEC40????

I have a Rayovac Prodigy 4AA I got at Target that is pretty wicked with a KPR103 in it. But I haven't EVER seen a light like described! (Because I'd most assuredly have one if I had seen one!)

Got a pic or a link?

JimM

Newly Enlightened

Here I thought I was the only one.....I was at Walmart again this evening, but still haven't found a Rayovac 4AA light. Plenty of 2AA lights, though, so I'll keep looking.
Jim

Bmccue1964

Newly Enlightened

Brinkmann Rebel LED - Older model. Wait for the defective tail cap to break off (switch still works) then give it to the kid. It is next to impossible to take apart without pliers. Should run for quite some time before the batteries need replacement...