I need better field lights.

DieselTech

Enlightened
Cost wise, the bulbs will run about 25 bucks apiece, but the wiring, relays, mounts, and switches are free. So for about 110 bucks, shipping and all, and a few hours of my time, I have big bright lights.

I'll look into the HID system a bit more, because I really dont want to kill the alternator, and I cant be sure the lighting use will only be for less than 15-20 minutes.

How do the HID bulbs stand up to vibration? As nice as my truck rides, it spends a lot of time bouncing through fields and back through the woods. I'd hate to kill the bulbs after the first trip out. Can you point me toward any bulbs/ setups in particular?

Thanks!

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do the HID bulbs stand up to vibration?
I honestly don't know, but they're used by professional rally teams the world over, and since they don't have a filament to get abused by being bounced around I'd expect they'd be a fair bit more rugged, if anything.

How long do HID take to warm up to full brightness?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lower CCT HID's put out something closer to 3000 lumens (bulb lumens, of course). You would probably want something like 4200K or 5000K, looks like daylight. 6000K is cool white.

HID's relative cost is about 2x, being $55 per bulb instead of $25 per bulb, but you save on the alternator.

Based on my own experiences with automotive HIDs, when you first turn them on and strike the arc, the light comes on immediately, with a brightness of at least 500 lumens (to my eyes). That's a lot - that's like hitting the tailswitch on a high powered Surefire incandescent. Then it warms up really fast to full 3K output. I'd say no more than 20 seconds for the kits I used. It's not like you'll be left in the dark while the HID warms up.

There are a number of differences between the small 10W HIDs we're used to working with and auto HIDs. I have had a Mag2HID for quite a while, Welch Allyn Solarc 10W bulb/ballast, and when you hit the switch, you get this tiny little flicker of light that makes you wonder if the light actually turned on :D only a few seconds later can you see enough light to realize that.

DieselTech

Enlightened
Oh, you folks with your HID...what have you done to me? :poke:

So I got on Ebay and started looking at these things. I've found 'kits' ranging from 28 bucks per kit to well over 400 bucks per kit. I get the feeling I want to be somewhere in between, naturally the less expensive the better.

Is there a specific bulb type (9006, 9007, H3, etc...) that throws or floods better than another? I know a lot of that depends on the housing and reflector- my search hasnt turned up much in this area that looks like what I want.

So since y'all have swayed me to the HIDs, what do I need to be looking for? Is one bulb better than another, and are there different types of ballasts?

Thanks!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have corrupted you ;) you have now felt the POWER....it calls you.. give in to it :D

The problem with the ebay HIDs is that I haven't found a way of differentiating them. I've bought them before and they seem to work 'just fine', no problems, and they all seem to be clones of one another. Alternatively you could buy high-end auto HIDs from namebrand manufacturers, and that would blow your budget sky high. For auxiliary lighting applications such as spotlights, where failure is unlikely to endanger life, I generally would not worry too much.

Some of them claim to be using namebrand components, however I have absolutely no way of verifying this so I would prefer not to treat their claims as definite.

You need to assess the risk for yourself and come to a decision, I can't do this for you. But I would consider a few factors (there are many more) such as the fact that incandescents can fail too (and do! bulbs blow), that if the HID fails it may only be one bulb at a time - you'll still have the other bulb and your high beam headlamps to get you home, etc. etc.

The kits have one ballast per bulb so a failure taking out BOTH at the same time would be exceptionally unlikely.

Generally I buy the bulb that fits my reflector. Start with the reflector for automotive lights, and it will state which bulb type it is optimized for. Then buy the HID bulb. If you mismatch them, chances are it won't fit, and the arc would be at the wrong height, resulting in very poor reflector performance. Each reflector has a 'point' where the light source must be inside it for max performance. This point is where the filament, or in your case, the arc, must be at.

The difference in the bulb types is really just a matter of making the bulb fit various kinds of reflector. Should be minimal to no difference.

DieselTech

Enlightened
I'm having trouble even finding housings, actually. I've searched Ebay for all sorts of terms, but nothing comes up; or I get completely unrelated results. I'm looking for something that I can mount to a flat tab with a hole in it on my brushguard, with incredible throw, and flood. I understand one housing cant provide both, so two different ones will be necessary.

What about folks trying to be DOT legal and the housings/ reflectors having cutoffs built into them? Will those hinder light performance? I wont even be attempting to use these things on the road, so if I could get some without such things, that would be great.

Will there be an obvious, worthwhile difference between the 35 and 50 watt lights?

Thanks guys, I'm really learning a lot here.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm having trouble even finding housings, actually. I've searched Ebay for all sorts of terms, but nothing comes up; or I get completely unrelated results. I'm looking for something that I can mount to a flat tab with a hole in it on my brushguard, with incredible throw, and flood. I understand one housing cant provide both, so two different ones will be necessary.

What about folks trying to be DOT legal and the housings/ reflectors having cutoffs built into them? Will those hinder light performance? I wont even be attempting to use these things on the road, so if I could get some without such things, that would be great.

Will there be an obvious, worthwhile difference between the 35 and 50 watt lights?

Thanks guys, I'm really learning a lot here.

Try an ordinary H3 bulb housing. Go to your auto store and ask if they have something like that - don't tell them anything about HIDs, it only confuses them. The HID 'refit' kits are designed to fit into ordinary housings. (it is also why they are NOT legal for on-road use because of the lack of cutoffs!).

So what you do is you buy normal incandescent vehicle light housings as if you were going to mount normal H3 12V 100W bulbs, take note of the bulb type, and stick a HID bulb into them instead of a normal bulb.

50W produces another ~1-1.5K lumens. It would be visibly brighter at substantially higher cost.