I regret to inform you...

lws

Newly Enlightened
I wish there was something to say to make it better, but from personal experience, I know there isn't other than to say our thoughts & prayers are with you. There's nothing comparable to losing your son or a child.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
we fight together, we lose together.
thinking of you and your family from the UK
be proud and thanks

mdocod

Flashaholic
The ultimate sacrifice should never be forgotten.

May you find solace in the knowledge that your loss is the greatest form of giving the world will ever know.

I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

May your son rest in peace, and you find the strength and resolve to get through this.

Regards and Thanks,
-Eric Marshall

1 what

Enlightened
Sir,
As a former member of the Australian Army I salute your Son.
May God grant you peace in this awful time.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
My greatest condolences for your loss.

That image of your son has stuck with me since you originally posted it, and will continue to.

DM51

Flashaholic
This is terrible news. Your son was a fine young man, and his loss will be felt deeply by all of us.

I recall the pride you felt in him when you posted an earlier thread about when he discovered a Taliban arms cache, and the admiration we all felt for his service. To hear this awful news is a tragedy. Please accept my sincere condolences. I salute his memory.

tnforever

Newly Enlightened
This just came up on yahoo's homepage.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091206/ap_on_re_as/as_afghanistan

Just a paragraph, not much details, but it seems to be referring to this.

If it turns out not to be appropriate, or if OP wants it removed, I'll gladly do it. I personally feel that this coverage, however brief (hopefully will be expanded with the respect your son is due), will acknowledge the world to his sacrifice, but I can also see how this isnt something DHart wants shown.

Again, I'll state my sincerest condolences for your loss. He died fighting for what he believed in, and must be honored for that. I simply cannot overcome my incredible sense of loss of what might've been...

Last edited:

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
This is extremely saddening news, and very tragic. I'm very sorry for your loss, DHart. You will be in my prayers.

pulstar

Enlightened
I thank your son and all of your family for serving a country that shines like a lighthouse to all western world. You all have my deepest sympathy. I'll remember him in my prayers.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
For all it's worth from a complete stranger: you have my sincere condolences. My thoughts are with your family.

mr.snakeman

Enlightened
This is terrible news. Your son was a fine young man, and his loss will be felt deeply by all of us.

I recall the pride you felt in him when you posted an earlier thread about when he discovered a Taliban arms cache, and the admiration we all felt for his service. To hear this awful news is a tragedy. Please accept my sincere condolences. I salute his memory.
I also remember the earlier thread and remember thinking that I hoped that he would finish his tour of duty safely. Unfortunately that was not to be. My deepest heart-felt condolences to you and your family.

Elliot

Newly Enlightened
My prayers to you and your family DHart. You raised a fine son, a hero. I salute you Elijah.

Elliot - English translation of my Hebrew name Elijah.

ergotelis

Enlightened
I am really sorry to hear about this too. Dying someone young is a tragedy no matter where he is from, who he is, or what he is doing. Rest in Peace, our planet doesn't have much of it unfortunately.
Telling his story here made him a memorable person to the big community of CPF. By this unfortunate end of his life, the memory of him will be here for everyone, for ever with the best feelings.

(Sorry if i seem to hijack the thread but it doesn't belong in this category, i believe it is good to put this thread somewhere else and link it up with the previous thread here in led flashlights)

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your son died saving the lives of Americans who would otherwise be the victims of the attack that killed him.

What broke me out of my teenage self absorption at 18 was the knowledge that as an Army combat officer at 22, I'd be responsible for men who would be fighting and dying to protect this country. Men like Elijah who were better than I. I knew it then, I know it now.

Elijah's sacrifice is real but also worthwhile, and greater than any made by anybody on this planet today. He joins a select group of allied men and women lost to other wars whose contribution to humanity is beyond the ability to measure.