If the Bulb doesn't fit...?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the Bulb doesn\'t fit...?

What to do? I am looking to get a more powerful bulb into my headlamp and use NiMHs. Got the bulb(s), all is well, except... they don't fit! The existing bi-pin setup has a bulb fused into a kind of plastic base that has the effect of making the bulb taller and having the pins be farther apart. How to duplicate?? Am I thwarted at the moat?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Re: If the Bulb doesn\'t fit...?

sounds like you got the weird bulb I saw at walmart with a white plastic base in it. one way to duplicate this is to either make an adapter or solder some *legs* onto the bulb that are zigzag shaped to accommodate the difference.
I saw that bulb and couldn't determine the current draw of it so without that information I wouldn't know if another pin base bulb would even be brighter.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here's the BD Supernova bulb:

http://www.mgear.com/pages/gearlist/productvendor.asp/item/640600/level3_id/0/level1_id/0/level2_id/0/GLId/167/GLName/Shop+all+Black+Diamond/catid/2218/catname/Headlamps/SortNo/16/WLnk/2276

The red dot is just an identifier; ignore it. I'm trying to get a Stinger or Strion bulb to match this. I've got both, but picture the BD's bulb's actual pins being inside the white base, closer together than the glass of the bulb.

From what I surmise, the base is intended to boost the bulb forward and spread the legs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif wider while providing a flatter, more stable platform that would resist having the bulb become uncentered through rough duty.

The little brown layer on the bottom came off with a screwdriver, but the base itself is held in by solder on the pins. Anyone else face this problem before?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
StainlessSteel said:
you must acquit

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
StainlessSteel said:
you must acquit

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty funny! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don't wear it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

that bulb looks similar to the one at walmart I have seen
perhaps you can rip the bulb out of one of those plastic bases and implant another bipin bulb spacing it properly so the filament is in the correct spot and epoxying it in.

StainlessSteel

Enlightened

mike and jeff...

thanks for gettin that. i was wondering if anyone would laugh.

SS

mrme

Enlightened

Yeah, getting the bulb from Walmart to canabalize the plastic piece sounds like a good idea. It is the Energizer double barrel spare bulb. I think it will work in the Supernova.
Try it out before you take the bulb out of the housing and report, if you don't mind. The Supernova is at the top of my wish list and would like to know how the $1.50 bulbs perform agianst the BD $6 bulbs.

I bought a PT Yukon bulb for my Lunar. It gives a better color than the BD bulbs, but it shifts in the holder becuase the wires are thinner and there is no plastic piece. The reflector is so textured, it doesn't really matter, though.

So which bulb is this you got and where did you get it? How much? I really like the Supernova set up and will likely get one when I have the funds.

What ever you do, make sure to report back your sucesses and/or failures.

udaman

Banned

[ QUOTE ]
Phaserburn said:
Here's the BD Supernova bulb:

http://www.mgear.com/pages/gearlist/productvendor.asp/item/640600/level3_id/0/level1_id/0/level2_id/0/GLId/167/GLName/Shop+all+Black+Diamond/catid/2218/catname/Headlamps/SortNo/16/WLnk/2276

The red dot is just an identifier; ignore it. I'm trying to get a Stinger or Strion bulb to match this. I've got both, but picture the BD's bulb's actual pins being inside the white base, closer together than the glass of the bulb.

From what I surmise, the base is intended to boost the bulb forward and spread the legs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif wider while providing a flatter, more stable platform that would resist having the bulb become uncentered through rough duty.

The little brown layer on the bottom came off with a screwdriver, but the base itself is held in by solder on the pins. Anyone else face this problem before?

[/ QUOTE ]

ARGH, another insanely long link! Someday I'll be able to afford Apple's 23in or 30in Cinema Displays, but I hate trying to read threads where I have to scroll back and forth because of super long links.

Here's how to fix this problem, hit the blue "edit" link above your post, then use this format

[*url=cut and paste to right here between the = and the right close bracket symbol, that massively long link]short-title-like-"Supernova-bulb"-goes-here[/url]

abbreviated as [*url=link]title[/url], so after editing, the link will shrink down to something like this:
Supernova bulb pic

Remove the asterisk in front of the [*url=, as I had to put that in to make the coding show up on this post.

That bulb is made by the same manufacturer that is supplying the bulbs for the 8AA-2D Willie Hunt/Skip Langan regulated adapter. (see my thread in the Reviews section, I have a large close-up picture of those 3.6v bulbs), But in a M*g reflector, those bulbs have ugly filament artifacts. I will be testing some alternative bulbs and will post impressions on that thread maybe next week when I get the bulbs.

The white plastic base seems to be a bi-pin mount socket adapter-setup allowing them to mount the narrow bi-pin of the small bulb, into wider spaced bi-pin socket.