• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

If you had your wish...

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thumbsup:

Could the user set/tweak the brightness each level, ala the SPY005?

I find that the average "low" level is not low enough for my tastes, which is one reason I LOVE the SPY005!!

john

The plan for the GDuP is full current regulation for all levels and while I haven't set the exact number for each level low will be in the order of 1-4mA range and should satisfy most of the general populas. No, there is no plans on allowing the user to change these levels. Unlike the SPY pulsing the power to the converter board is not user friendly like a dedicated knob and I would prefer the KISS and not complicate the simple UI as planned. I know this for a good number of people this will not acceptable, but, I do feel that the vast majority will prefer the simple UI and the smaller group will object to it.

Since the GDuP will more than likely fit in the Aleph, Surefire E series will... Hmm, WTH am I trying to say... *AHEM* A lot of these lights it will more than likely end up in may require a higher low than the SPY due to the end use of the flashlight. I can see something like the A19 light requiring a 10-20 mA low since it will be used more often outside. Maybe, when I get closer to completion I can consider one or two flavors of the driver with different currents for the three levels. Something I might be able to manage and not end up with a wad of options and stock and inventory variations.

The current goal or plan is like I mentioned above will be true CC regulation. Once these numbers are finalized it should be a nice driver since it will be independent of VF, battery voltage. That would mean from unit to unit there should be little distinction of difference.

I would be happy to entertain how one would accomplish this and still maintain the KISS strategy.

mahoney,

I see your point. One thing that I would consider entertaining is making a custom flood reflector out of MCPET plastic. We are stalled with the vendor (no communications response). We were hoping to start making custom MCPET reflectors to complement the existing McR line. Beyond that I would need the mechanical requirements of the Z stack before considering any effort towards this.

Wayne

Last edited:

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lots of good stuff already said above.

My only concern is that the driver manufacturers are not getting the low level low enough when designing the UI on these multi level drivers. Now I am aware that it is allot harder to get a really low level , but I think it's one of the features that most of us want and in the long run will be worth the extra design time.

mahoney

Enlightened
In the interest of keeping it simple, if you are going to get some plastic reflectors made, why not duplicate the McFlood? The McFlood was almost the same size/shape as an NX-05 optic, which a lot of lights were designed around, and which was a fortuitous fit in others. It would be an exact drop-in for the LS 2, the Micra, the McLux, the Mini-Mag, the 1st generation KL1... The only change I might make would be a very light OP. The McFlood has a tendancy to be quite "ringy" with certain LEDs

For someone modding a Rev 0.9 LS or putting a custom LE/board in an LS2, trimming the reflector is just part of the job, and it will be easy to trim a plastic reflector. The z-axis measurement will vary with a whole bunch of things, like lense thickness, heatsink thickness....etc.

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Input here can and will influence me and new designs. Things such as low needs to be lower will definitely be taken into consideration and I will take this into consideration when I start testing.

I would prefer to hear any and all input. Good, bad or indifferent. CPF members are the primary customers and that's you. If you wish me to do something different and there is enough of you to vocalized I will definitely take that into consideration and even change my priorities as needed.

Also, Modders take note. You might want to consider creating a definition for something that you have in the works or would like to modify. If you can define the scope for say 50 boards and will be willing to order all 50 then that is potentially a small project that I can give reasonable priority for small runs. Say for example you'd be willing to buy 25 or 50 of the ARC LS boards that we both agree upon the specifications. That's something that is definitely worth contacting me.

50 is about the smallest run, but, that's a general rule of thumb. I'd be open to less or more depending on the scope, complexity and amount of work involved.

Wayne

PhotonAddict

Enlightened
I would also like to see a DBuP or a variable power buck converter in some form of the other.

The GDuP will most likely be a universal approach and could be used in many lights. Also, you'd be able to make a DBuP et al without too much hassle from this concept, too, I guess.

PhotonAddict

Enlightened
Aleph LE compatible would be great. I've used the flupic, but it has a limited input voltage range and isn't really regulated. I would be equally interested in something that is as large as the shark for Mag mods and while I'm wishing, variable power via a pot (if shark sized) - it's an interface that most understand.

havand

Enlightened
Aleph LE compatible would be great. I've used the flupic, but it has a limited input voltage range and isn't really regulated. I would be equally interested in something that is as large as the shark for Mag mods and while I'm wishing, variable power via a pot (if shark sized) - it's an interface that most understand.

As I said to wayne in an e-mail. I also want to see the new shark have some sort of integrated heatsink so that the board can very easily be sinked to a body.

EDIT: I bring this up for all highpowered circuits :)

Last edited:

ROK

Enlightened
I love the Buck-Boost converter because of its flexibility of battery combination.
I have used several converters but could not find my taste. Only the Surefire KL1 circuit is fine to my use but it's too big.

So, I want a following driver.
- Buck-Boost converter : voltage range of 2.5v(lower is better) ~ 6v(9v is perfect)
- Size : 14mm (0.55")
- Brightness Level : 2 or 3 level with memory function of latest used brightness

Any chance to get this kind of converter???
:thanks:

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the Buck-Boost converter because of its flexibility of battery combination.
I have used several converters but could not find my taste. Only the Surefire KL1 circuit is fine to my use but it's too big.

So, I want a following driver.
- Buck-Boost converter : voltage range of 2.5v(lower is better) ~ 6v(9v is perfect)
- Size : 14mm (0.55")
- Brightness Level : 2 or 3 level with memory function of latest used brightness

Any chance to get this kind of converter???
:thanks:

something close would be the upcoming GDuP board. See the discussion thread here in this section.

I would fathom based on IC technology your wish will never occur. IC technology is geared around products in todays/yesterdays technology. The transistor based technology (digital) was geared initially for 5V based systems, now 3.3V and lower as speeds have forced IC makers to use lower voltages to limit power dissipation.

The other technology is CMOS and again most of the processes including analog ICs are based on technology for products that run off 5V supplies. This means most CMOS ICs are for 5V and are tested or spec'd up to 6V for supply and transient margins.

The 14mm board is so constraining the only solutions are complete integrated solutions and this limits you to analog converters using either transistor or CMOS technology. Buck/Boost with 4 switches is only reasonable in CMOS and that means max 6V and that translates to max operating in the 5V range. Running any CMOS IC at 6V will actually damage the IC due to transients that spike up beyond the supply and are inherit in all switchers and can be reduced but not eliminated.

On the other hand if you allowed 17mm or more real estate then a component level driver using multiple components could be made to fit on that size board.

As you go up in voltage and assuming a single LED the buck only driver becomes more viable and that is something worth considering.

Wayne

LightForce

Newly Enlightened
My most desired converter is the buck/boost converter wich have 80-95% efficiency in 10 - 1200 mA range, 3 - 5Vin range and which has current controlled levels (not PWM!), to ensure the highest possible light efficiency and super long runtime at low settings.