IMALENT DD4R (4xXM-L2 - 4x18650, 8xCR123A) Touch Screen Review: RUNTIME, VIDEO+

MBentz

Enlightened
Re: IMALENT DD4R (4xXM-L2 - 4x18605, 8xCR123A/RCR) Touch Screen Review: RUNTIME, VIDE

Seems fairly obvious it's geared towards flashlight enthusiasts. If you don't see the advantage of the touch screen, then perhaps it's just not the user interface for you. I like that it's a true one handed interface that allows you to change modes without changing the orientation of the light in your hand.

TSellers

Newly Enlightened
Re: IMALENT DD4R (4xXM-L2 - 4x18605, 8xCR123A/RCR) Touch Screen Review: RUNTIME, VIDE

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

There are a number of flashlights with a switch that is known as side mount switch. Some of them have a 'ramping' driver, some have a feature called 'clicky'. With this design you'll find you can change modes without changing the orientation of the light. If you get a chance, there are a number of reviews on lights like this that you may find informative in that regard.

Thanks for answering the other question as well, it would appear this light is only for a 'flashlight enthusiast', and not perhaps someone that appreciates functional tools to perform their purpose oriented tasks.

MBentz

Enlightened

There are only so many flashlight markets, so to speak.

The general public is never going to know this light exists.
LEO/Mil aren't going to use it because if the screen breaks, the light is useless. The screen is the weak point. You can only drop your cell phone so many times before it breaks.
I guess that leaves us, the enthusiasts, to buy and critique this light.

It really sounds like you just don't see any advantages to the UI, and because of that you don't think anyone else would as well. Give it time to hit the retailers and let the enthusiasts get hands on experience with it first.

Thanks for the heads up on the "clicky." Looks like I need to move on from powering my lights with potatoes.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

These lights look a lot like the Nitecores, wonder if they are associated...a spinoff of the company?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm. Does this charger look familiar to anyone? Lol..

20131029144217.jpg

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very detailed review, I have seen this model from somewhere else some time ago, but never thought it would show up here.

Well it is unique but some things would and should never require a touchscreen... things like a cordless drill, or a flashlight, among many other things most of us call tools. It is also possible to implement NFC to a flashlight so it could be turned on with the tap of your smartphone, but it is really necessary? I think some companies are so desperate in making profit they start developing everything possible to appear attractive and exciting, like if flashlights were toys, and we were little kids.

Have they thought about the touchscreen being able to operate when wet? will with work with gloves on? can it withstand a drop without shattering? what are exactly the reasons it is superior to a normal dual switch with a good UI?

In no way I would support a company which has spent little to none into R&D. I know too many Chinese electronic manufacturers (not flashlight) and this one looks cheese at best.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Have they thought about the touchscreen being able to operate when wet? will with work with gloves on? can it withstand a drop without shattering?
Sorry, I just realized that wasn't clear in the review - the touch screen is pressure sensitive, not capacitive. This is why it is less sensitive than modern devices, but will work just fine with gloves on. I will update the review. Works when wet too, although as per my standard testing, I do not test units for waterproofness or impact resistance.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are quite a few video`s on youtube regarding these lights. One where a fellow hammers it to death, I guess it`s supposed to prove he has a good hammer. One where it is thrown out a 2 story building (still works). Several where folks place it in water (with mixed results). For some reason folks seem to want to beat these things up badly. Personally I think they are cool lights...

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=imalent+flashlight