In need of a BRIGHT Boat Spot Light.

jtice

Flashaholic
Beer,

Looked at the UL C8+ also, but
I am not all that thrilled with 2 inefficient 5W leds,
and they are relying on the water to cool it, I think that is why they have the air, and water runtimes.
Now, if I was actually diving with it, that may be a different story.

Tiger.... huh ? :thinking:

AWs 3 level switch is looking rather tempting actually.
Gives some runtime options, yet still the max output I need.
Seeing how so far, my ROP 2C mag that I already have is the best light I have for this purpose, as far as output goes, NOT water tightness.

I plan to go out this weekend, so I will be testing out a few lights for this.
The ROP, and my Streamlight Survivor LED are the main two I want to test.
My MiniHID would be great, but I hate the startup time, especially for quick spotting.

~John

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
John,

If you like the 2C form factor, which I do, and the output of the ROP Hi, you'll love the 5761.

I can't wait uintil AW's switch becomes available.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
:laughing: Sorry about that, John.

What I meant was Gene Malkoff's (Gene43's) SSC P4 drop-ins for 2- and 3-cell Mags. They sound like they have good output and runtime.

Here a thread: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/160492

Search for Gene43's other threads, and you should find some sales threads, I believe. I've never looked into buying one, so I don't know exactly where to go.

jtice

Flashaholic
Nitro,

Those AW switches are looking pretty damn sweet.
Lot of versatility there, and dimming? heh always welcome. :D
I wonder how the 5761 bulb will be on medium.
If the runtime was good, and it was still a good usable brightness, that would be perfect.

Not sure how I could further water proof a mag,
thought I have not had HUGE problems with water getting in them.
I just dont want to have to worry about water being an issue.

~John

jtice

Flashaholic
Tiger,

ah,, ooook ;)
Those do sound nice also.
But I have a LuxIII DB1200 2C mag I made years ago,
that is Begging me to stick a Seoul on it :devil:

~John

Burgess

Flashaholic
from the Underwater Kinetics website:

High insensity 10-watt twin LED module :)

(emphasis added)

Great for lights which are just too darn Sensitive. :D

FNG

Enlightened
Im looking for a light for a friend that kayaks and he might be going on an overnight competition soon. So far the choices im picking are UK C8, SL6, or D8. All are bright with adequate runtime. UK sells a kit that hsa a C8 as main, SL4 as backup, Q40 as backup for the backup, and a beacon for a little over $100.

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitro,

Those AW switches are looking pretty damn sweet.
Lot of versatility there, and dimming? heh always welcome. :D
I wonder how the 5761 bulb will be on medium.
If the runtime was good, and it was still a good usable brightness, that would be perfect.
I believe the 5761 will put out ~1336 bulb Lumens and around 900 Torch Lumens at 7.2V for ~30mins. So on Med you're looking at ~540L for 50mins, and Low is ~270L for ~100mins.

Not bad.

Not sure how I could further water proof a mag,
thought I have not had HUGE problems with water getting in them.
I just dont want to have to worry about water being an issue.
I'm not sure either, other then caking it up with plenty of Silicone.

jtice

Flashaholic
...... :eek:oo: holy crap,
I was not aware that bulb was so bright.
That is gonna be sweeeeeeet ! :rock:

~John

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
I may do some Beamshots of the ROP LO, HI, WA1185 and the 5761. However, I only have one Mag 2C, one Mag 3C and three AW C cells, so I'll have to be changing bulbs/batteries between shots.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not have it yet, but Brightguy should have in Brightstar Lighthawk led lanterns hopefully at the end of next week. They only way 1.9 pounds and are supposed to have a good beam, plus should be pretty well sealed. I will post a review with pics when I get mine.

jtice

Flashaholic
woodrow,

Please let me know what you think, that looks VERY interesting!

Could be slightly higher lumens for a light that size, but not bad.
Li-Ions are a huge plus.

If I could mod it so the rear leds didnt blink, and would come on by themselves, that would be one sweeeeet light.
~John

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope it is all it looks to be as well. I like my SurvivorLED, but could use some more light. I do not want to mod it though, because I value it for its reliability over any thing else.

The Lighthawk led, should run for 7 hours and uses lithium rechargables. I wish incan 1-2 million cp spotlights would do the same. I well let you know.

As of now, I am not sure of what kind of led comes with the light. A cree would be great, but I could handle a k2 just fine as well.

jtice

Flashaholic
ohhhhhh ok, the LED version.
I thought thats what you meant at first, but I couldnt find anything at all about an LED version.
Have you seen any specs for it?

~John

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
ohhhhhh ok, the LED version.
I thought thats what you meant at first, but I couldnt find anything at all about an LED version.
Have you seen any specs for it?

~John
PM me your email address and I will send you a pdf. Greg and Tina at Brightguy said they saw it at some kind of show. It is supposed to have a very good-long throwing beam. I am hoping for at least a well driven k2 led. Body is the same as the 4 cell Brightstar Lighthawk.

batman

Enlightened
My first reaction would be an M6 with MN-15 Lamp assembly for the 2.5 hour runtime and great output. attach the lanyard to your boat or to a floatie of some sort.

THe tank HID searchlights would be perfect too , especially with all the baddies out in the woods.

dandruff

Enlightened
how about hid polarion ph50? close to 6000lumens for about an hour, and WATERPROOF! :D

Last edited:

Zenster

Enlightened
$6.99 bucks at radioshack if u can find

Considering the way the light will be used, I personally think the OP should come back and revisit this option.

Just get one of the inexpensive "Milllllion Candle Power" lights, and then get a 6 to 8 amp/hour gel cell battery such as the "Powerport 73" on this page: http://www.powerportstore.com/dc_power.htm
There's some other really good battery options on that same page as well.

You could also spend much less money if you went with a simple 6 amp/hour gel cell motorcycle battery, but the above option is so much classier :thumbsup:.

With this setup, you'll have a "cheap" light that you won't care if you drop it overboard, and the battery that is firmly and safely strapped to your seat is rechargeable. My personal choice of chargers for gel-cell batteries is this one because it can be left on for long periods with no damage to the battery since it's a "maintainer" as well as a charger:
http://store.schumachermart.com/sem-1562a.html
You can buy this particular charger at Walmart for half the price shown on that web site.

My .02 lumens, or volts, or cents, or whatever.

Last edited: