Inexpensive little AA light Sipik68 & Clones.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Re: Inexpensive little AA light

This has to be a bargain alternative for the 18650 crowd. Find it on ebay.

12W 1800Lm CREE XM-L T6 LED Zoom Zoomable Flashlight Torch Light Lamp 18650/AAA 8 bucks and 1800 lumens.

Norm

Rosoku Chikara

Enlightened

This has to be a bargain alternative for the 18650 crowd. Find it on ebay.

12W 1800Lm CREE XM-L T6 LED Zoom Zoomable Flashlight Torch Light Lamp 18650/AAA 8 bucks and 1800 lumens.

Norm

Well, there you have it mzil. Looks like an excellent flashlight. I may get one myself.

Best price I could find today on eBay was $10.99 + 0.99 shipping, which is three times the cost of a Sipik clone, but who's counting?! Looks like an excellent value to me.

Last edited:

Rosoku Chikara

Enlightened

...I also like that by unscrewing the front lens off, you get a tremendously wide, super flood light. You are effectively using the raw LED without any optics or parabolic reflector... [excerpted]

I've actually used this "undocumented, bonus feature" myself, too. Please take a look at the following photos of some "Ping Pong Ball Diffusers" that I made:

The smaller light is a Tank007 E09, and the "Ping Pong Ball Diffuser" doesn't work all that well on it, because its lens in combination with a rather "throwy" emitter concentrates too much light on a small area at the very top of the ping pong ball.

But, the Sipik, with its front lens removed and replaced with a ping pong ball, works wonderfully as a small table lamp!

Last edited:

mzil

Enlightened

Everyone qualifies this light as being pretty good "for the money". Granted, I'm not an expert, but if price were no object, what single AA/14500 light with a zoom, this size (or smaller would be OK) is better, and in what way is it "better"?

fields_mj

Newly Enlightened

From what I understand, the zoomable lens is what really kills you on such a search. Most reputable mfg don't make one that's zoomable because it cuts down on the quality of the beam produced. They are all trying to make a top quality product that people are willing to pay good money for. My personal favorite is my Quark. I run it on a 14500 because it's cheaper than feeding it AA cells. I don't care that it doesn't have a zoom feature because it doesn't need it. Even with a AA cell, on max it puts out considerably more light than a Sipik and it does so with a very useable beam pattern. On top of that, it's smaller than the Sipik and the lack of a zoom feature contributes to the size difference. I use my Quark several times a day, every day, and to me it's worth the extra $$. Having said that, I only have 2 Quarks, and I have about 10 of the Sipiks. One quark stays in the drawer as a back up, and one stays in my pocket. I have the sipiks stuck everywhere except my pocket. They're just a tad too big for me to carry in my pocket comfortably. All in all, I don't think you'll ever see anyone try to develop a light that competes with the Sipik. Their's just no profit in it.

Last edited:

mzil

Enlightened

I love the zoom! I think it's great and key to why I like the light so much. It certainly could be better and that's why a "better version" intrigues me. [I doubt this light is very water resistant, for example]. I own several different 4Sevens mini lights, (although they are various CR123 and AAA lights, none are single AA). I love the zoom on my Sipik clone and find that the beam pattern, including the square (not round) spot, even when tightly focused such that the visible line structure of the actual LED surface is evident (at least against a white wall) to be perfectly useable in real world use, when I need as much throw as I can get from a tiny light.

Last edited:

mzil

Enlightened

Oh, and I forgot to add, I must not be alone in my appreciation of this configuration of light. Amazon currently ranks this light as the #1 best selling product in their "Tools and Home Improvement" category. No, not just the best selling flashlight (of any size/shape/configuration), mind you, but rather the best selling item in this entire category! That's pretty impressive and for only $3.90 USD with free shipping, to boot. [At the time of this posting, the lowest price I have seen.]

Last edited:

fields_mj

Newly Enlightened

I agree that on this light, the zoom is rather handy. However, if it were a true 200~300 LUM light, I probably wouldn't need the zoom. My favorite thing about the light is that when the lens is pulled all the way back, you get a VERY wide flood beam that's handy for working on things up close.

Certainly the light has some flaws, but IMHO it far exceeds anything that costs twice the price. Best price I found was around $3.40 delivered earlier this past spring. Actually, I wish they made some that only had the "low" setting. That would be ideal to give to the kids while camping without having to worry too much about them blinding each other.

Mike_TX

Enlightened

Add me to the list of those who don't understand the appeal of this mediocre light - even for 4 bucks. Yes, I broke down and got one awhile back, and it is really ... mediocre. You get the image of the die at full zoom and circles and circles of halos at full wide. In between there's too sharp a cutoff on the beam (i.e., no spill to smooth out the pattern), and just so-so illumination. 300 lumens? Bwahahahaha!

Rosoku Chikara

Enlightened

Your opinion is well noted. And, I know that many agree with you. Believe it or not, despite all my recent posts on this thread and other threads, I really do not have a truly strong opinion about it, one way or the other.

But, I guess I am a bit of a "champion of the underdog" and I think people should be open minded about such things. At the moment, I happen to have two such lights. (Until I give one away to someone, for some reason.)

One of them tends to stay in the kitchen and get used almost exclusively for peaking into the oven on occasion. I never use the zoom. Halos are not important. All I need is something that can help me see how brown the bread is. I cannot justify a $50.00 (or more) flashlight for such an application. Not even a $20.00 flashlight. This $4.00 one works just fine for what I need it to do.

Others that I know of, have used this same type flashlight on a daily basis (at construction sites, etc.) and it is my understanding that these lights are usually quite robust. They seem to be able to take a fair amount of abuse. And, if you happen to drop one into a hole (where you can't get it out again) you haven't lost much.

I say again. To each their own. These lights are certainly not something you bring out to "show off" to your friends. They are lights that work (reasonably well) and that you can hand to a complete stranger and say "Keep it, you should always have some kind of flashlight with you."

Last edited:

mccririck

Enlightened

I've been using one at work for 2 1/2 years and completely disagree with you. These are great budget lights.

"you get an image of the die at full zoom" - boo hoo so what? Pull it back from full zoom a smidge and you dont.

Nobody is saying it has the most perfect beam but to say it has too sharp a cut-off is a bit strange - you can use the full beam area to look for things under a uniform brightness - that is a big plus point over a light with a hot spot and spill, especially indoors where the hot spot is invariably too bright to be comfortable and creates a distraction when looking in the spill area.

Last edited:

mzil

Enlightened

Nobody is saying it has the most perfect beam but to say it has too sharp a cut-off is a bit strange - you can use the full beam area to look for things under a uniform brightness - that is a big plus point over a light with a hot spot and spill, especially indoors where the hot spot is invariably too bright to be comfortable and creates a distraction when looking in the spill area.
I agree and will take it one step further. If I was inventing the concept of a "compact, handheld, electronic illumination device akin to a burning torch to provide illumination in dark environments", from scratch, it would have a completely uniform output, no hot spot at all, no light fall-off towards the edges, and would have user designable flood/zoom. As far as I'm concerned the traditional output of our more common parabolic reflector flashlights, with a gradual light fall-off into the spill area, is a compromise we are forced to work with, due to the known technology at the time of their development.

Last edited:

Rosoku Chikara

Enlightened

...it would have a completely uniform output, no hot spot at all, no light fall-off towards the edges, and would have user designable flood/zoom... [excerpted]

Go for it! I suspect such a thing might be conceivably possible if you used something similar to the micro mirror technology employed in DPL projectors in conjunction with modern LED emitters. No telling what such a device might cost, but I would like to see one in action, some day.:)

Last edited:

mzil

Enlightened

My point was this Sipik clone light, thanks to its zoom mechanism, comes closer to achieving this ideal than any traditional reflector based flashlight I own. Could it be better still? Sure, but as far as I know, there is no superior single AA/14500, zoom flashlight, at any price. That's what makes this flashlight a stand out. It has no direct competition [single AA/14500, zoom], regardless of price.

Last edited:

fields_mj

Newly Enlightened

Agreed. To me these lights are disposable. Not that I throw them away if the battery dies, but if one gets lost or destroyed, I don't care. I purchased my first 4 after loosing a Quark out in the field one night during deer season. I had killed a deer, and had a really good idea where it was laying. Due to the lay of the land, and some known wet spots in the ground, I wanted to walk over to it so that I could plan where I was going to drive the truck. Used my Quark to light the way there. Planed my trip. Truck was close enough that I didn't need the light to get back to the truck so I stuck it back in the pocket of my jeans, under my bibs, or so I thought. Last time I ever saw that light making that one of the more expensive deer I've killed in my life. I ALWAYS have my quark with me, but now in situations like that, it stays in my pocket as backup and I use the cheap light that I don't mind destorying or loosing or giving away. I took one to work with me just to have an extra. After having a maintenace guy try to light up a robot cabinet with his AA mag light while I was moving the taps around on the transformer, I gave it to him. A week later his manager had purchased one for everyone in maintenance. Most of them were carrying some version of the old 2 cell AA mag light in their tool pouch, and this little thing BLOWS those away performance wise, and at aprox 1/4 the cost.

So yeah, in terms of beam quality, total light output, and over all build quality they kind of suck.... in comparison to a fenix, 47s, or any other quality light that costs over $20. Yes, there are even a few small lights that run in the $12~$15 range that some could say are "better" because they are smaller, or have a smoother beam pattern, or run a little longer, or look a little nicer. However, those little lights are not as flexable as the Sipik, and they still cost at least 300% more, so it all comes down to how you clasify "better". At the end of the day, I pretty much always reach for my Quark unless there's a reason not to. But if the wife or kids need a light while we are camping, or even around the house, they get a Sipik clone because more than once that light never made it back to it's home on the shelf/drawer. They're like a pair of jersey gloves. They don't keep your hands real warm, they're not very durable, and they don't hold up to water at all, but everyone I know has several pair because in most applications they are sufficient and they are cheap enough to buy by the dozen.

JacobJones

Enlightened

Have to admit that this light has got me intrigued, gonna order an ultrafire one to see what all the fuss is about.

mzil

Enlightened

^If you have no use for a single AA/14500 light with a variable zoom, then I would advise against buying one, especially if you prefer a typical light output pattern found in almost all other lights with a reflector, casting a beam pattern with a markedly brighter center spot area which then dims gradually as you move out to the spill. [I don't fit that description which is why this light is so good for me. I just wish there was a more refined version of this single AA/14500 zooming flashlight, made by a higher end company, but there aren't any.]

Last edited:

mccririck

Enlightened

I just wish there was a more refined version of this single AA/14500 zooming flashlight, made by a higher end company, but there aren't any.]

I agree, it doesnt even have to be high end, just a better quality lens so the beam is clean, and 2 modes - high or low - very useful when using a 14500.

mzil

Enlightened

My particular version, but I guess they vary, has 3 modes: High, medium, and strobe. I wouldn't call the medium mode "low", it is way too bright for preserving night vision, for example, and the strobe isn't "hidden" [having to cycle through all the modes, TWICE, until you finally reach it], which I prefer and have on my 4sevens flashlights.

Last edited: