Inifinity q45 Headlamps

Ratso

Enlightened
Does anyone know what the 7 lens array (like the LEDS on a Streamlight Septor) is for? The q45 supposedly has the brightest HID headlights on the market.

AlphaNet

Newly Enlightened
The lenses combine to form a very broad low beam light. I think the multiple lenses are necessary to change the aim of the lights as well (I THINK! DON'T TAKE MY WORD ON IT!) I am assuming this because it only makes sense as the Q45 has 4 different angles that the driver can adjust!

Mark

Saaby

Flashaholic
I doubt the driver can adjust them from the drivers seat...but that's not the point.

The lenses are mostly for astetic purposes. The same could be accomplished with 1 lens, and just as effectivly, but it looks prettier to have that Inova X5 look to them. Honestly--who knows what they look like without seeing a photo? My point exactly.

Aiming of the headlights is actually done by moving the headlight housing and/or the bulb. Most the time. There are exceptions out there I am sure, the Q45 could easily be one of these exceptions.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I know these. Apparently the array of lenses is automatically controlled to emit a wider beam at slower speeds and a narrower beam at fast speeds- enabling you to see further ahead when you`re going quicker and hence be able to see things coming and react sooner. Designed mainly for use on freeways/motorways/autobahns/whatever you care to call them- where the highest speeds are encountered.

A version of that headlamp cluster using prototypes of the 5 watt Luxeopn LED was made, that rivalled the discharge lamp`s output- but of course it won`t be a great many years before LEDs are even considered for use in vehicle headlights.

Tail lights on the other hand, are an ideal place for LEDs to be. And they are already, getting more common too!

But I digress.....

grin.gif

Ratso

Enlightened
The lens array is like a honeycomb design, much like the LEDs on the Trek7.

I read somewhere on an auto forum (forgot which one) the lenses have something to do with limiting the amount of light? I know the HID lights are too powerful to be used legally unlensed/filtered.

originally posted by Chris M.
A version of that headlamp cluster using prototypes of the 5 watt Luxeopn LED was made, that rivalled the discharge lamp`s output- but of course it won`t be a great many years before LEDs are even considered for use in vehicle headlights.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I doubt that 7 5 watt Luxeons could come anywhere close to the power of an HID/short arc lamp. Maybe 20 or so. However, in the future LEDs will probably replace Halogen and maybe even HID lighting in cars.

Saaby

Flashaholic
There is a Cadillac coming out that (or so they say) will have LED headlights...

Elmo

Newly Enlightened
REALLYYYYY??????? LED HEADLIGHTS?

i did some search on LED headlights (was hoping i can mod my own car's headlights) but ended up on HAT LIGHTS like the ones on HEAD...anyways

do you know how to mod CAR's headlights? like the currents and stuff, and get a lot of LED and stuff them in there...

i been looking for a mod like that for days

Saaby

Flashaholic
I would say wait and see what the Cadillac people do and go from there. I know in Utah you have to pass a safety inspection each year and they won't pass you with fake blue HID lenses, don't know CA laws though...

Elmo

Newly Enlightened
i am not talking about fake ones
i am talking about real LED lights
stuff the headlights with 50 plus LEDs and use the same power source as the regular headlights

anyways, i m not talking about fake blue colored lights

is there a way to mod LEDs on headlights as primary light source?

Saaby

Flashaholic
They're not bright enough. Not even Luxeons. Not right now anyway...what I meant with the HID refrence is that, bright or otherwise, homebrew LED headlights might not pass inspection. That's all...

Ratso

Enlightened
For the cost of designing a LED headlight system, You might as well just get Xenon HID Arc Lamps which will provide better performance and efficiency than LEDs probably for at least 10 or 20 years.

AlphaNet

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by Saaby:
I doubt the driver can adjust them from the drivers seat...but that's not the point.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">From CarBuyTip.com:

The pattern of the low beams is designed to reduce glare to oncoming drivers by cutting the beam sharply on the left side. A switch on the dash allows the driver to adjust the angle of the headlights, a feature we liked. Four positions seemed like overkill, though; we either aimed them high for max visibility or low for traffic or fog (they do indeed eliminate the need for auxiliary foglamps). The problem will be that it's easy to forget where the lights are aimed.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Well that's not fair--Saabs have the same feature in Europe but not here. When I asked the true experts why they said it was because the DOT wouldn't have anything to do with it...

B@rt

Flashaholic
Here is a better pic of the lenses.
fd133d22.jpg

quote from Nissannews :
"The Most Powerful Headlight System in the World

A striking element of the exterior styling of the 2003 Q45 is the large, multi-lens projector High Intensity Discharge (HID) xenon headlights. But their beauty is more than skin deep. Seven individual lenses and a free surface reflector design combine to provide a wide distribution beam pattern utilizing a total luminous flux over twice as powerful as competitive systems on Mercedes Benz E- and S-class sedans. This headlight system renders additional fog lights unnecessary, substantially reducing wiring complexity and giving the front end a clean, strong and purposeful look."