Inova X0 Help - CR123 TIROS flashlight

camz09

Newly Enlightened
Hi there guys, have been looking around the forum for answers but couldn't quite find what I needed specifically so thought I'd join and create a post.

Some time ago I ordered some rechargeable CR123A batteries to go with my old but good Inova X0 flashlight as I've gone through a lot of the single use lithiums over the past 12(?) years and thought I would save some $. The flashlight takes 2x CR123As at a time.

Unfortunately it slipped my notice that the rechargeables are 3.7v each whereas the lithium are 3.0v each. So the flashlight worked great for around 0.5 seconds before burning out (I assume). :ohgeez::ohgeez::ohgeez:

Now obviously this is completely my fault but I'm wondering if anyone knew which component may have failed so that I can repair it or if I could mod it to use these rechargeables ?

I have 2 of these lights and one is now completely dead so I'm open to ideas, preferably having them both run on the rechargeable cells (3.7v 2.59Wh 700mAh).

archimedes

Flashaholic
Sorry to hear that.

For a variety of reasons, battery labeling and voltage safety issues are rather confusing. As an example, your "3.7V rechargeable RCR123A" were probably near 4.2V (each, for a series total of ~ 8.4V) if they were fully charged when you loaded up your INOVA X0.

There are modders on CPF who might be able to "repair" (likely replace) the fried-up driver, but the cost would be substantial. Almost certainly far more than simply replacing the item with something modern.

The original vintage INOVA were really neat flashlights, though, and it is understandable if you might want to try to return this one to functional status (especially if it held some type of sentimental value, or similar)

In any case :welcome:

camz09

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the advice and welcome archimedes.

Hmm yes I had a feeling that might be the case.

Well at least I have the other unit, which I'll be sure to be more careful with.

Maybe I can use the dead one as a holder for cells after insulating the internals haha. :fail:

rrego

Enlightened
camz09, since you like these older Inovas, I have three TIROS models that you can have. I've had them since the mid 2000s (?) when they were current. I have an XO (I think). Is the XO the one with the straight body? And the other two I have are a T2 TIROS (straight body, checker knurling/grip pattern) and T3 TIROS (head larger diameter than body, checker knurling/grip pattern).

If you are interested, PM once your PM ability goes into effect. You can have them, just pay for the shipping cost and they are yours. They got very little use, I'd say they are 95-100% condition. I never used them much at the time because I wanted to take care of my first "expensive" lights. I could not afford Surefires then, so I went INOVA. I used to have the three T models (1,2,3), but gave the T1 to my brother, he also got my first INOVA, the X5.