• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Inova X5vn - 4 E01vn Lovers

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
The 2 mode light defaults to high mode. The 2 mode only uses PWM on low mode, right? I tried to check with my cell phones camera. It definitely uses PWM on low mode, but I couldn't detect it on high mode...

Yup just low. Nothing wrong with a bit of PWM. I am just super picky. When I know its there I always try to look for it.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
I wanted to put in a follow up to my previous post about this light after using it a bit more in case there's anyone interested in the light that hasn't gotten a chance to try one yet.

I know this has been gone over, but it has to be said that the beam pattern from these LEDs and this light is flawless to my eyes. The hotspot has an incredibly smooth transition at the edge, and there is a huge spill around the hotspot.

What I've noticed that surprises me the most is that I believe these lights are coming with 45 degree LEDs, and I originally thought I would prefer the 60 degree option. I thought the 45 degree beam may result in a slightly tunnel vision feeling. It absolutely does not. It very nicely lights whole doorways from pretty close up and whole rooms at distance. This light isn't really meant to throw, but it is actually surprisingly effective at a little distance.

After using the light in several locations and for several use cases from up close illuminating what I'm doing at a desk, to navigating a dark basement, to checking the shed in the backyard from my driveway on the side of the house, I actually don't think that the 60 degree LEDs would be better than the 45s for anything except maybe extreme close up work like under a foot away, and even then, I think the difference in spot size would be negligent at that close of a range. Then anything beyond 3-5 feet or so the 45 degree LEDs show their advantage in throw and light concentration (or candela for the nerds)

This iNova X5 is a winner. In the lights you want me to mod thread I listed the X5 with the Yuji's back in February I believe. I don't know if these came about from that suggestion or not, but I'm sure glad Vin made these.

The iNova X5 is a classic in my mind that comes from a time when incandescent lights like Surefire 6P was still brighter than the up and coming LED technology, which had its advantage in efficiency. It's clear to me that iNova was targeting lights like the Surefire 6P, and it shows in the identical user interface of a momentary only tail button that uses a twisty to turn the light "on". The only difference being the low mode on my light.

This light is sweet. Now to try to figure out a possible pocket clip...

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
I wanted to put in a follow up to my previous post about this light after using it a bit more in case there's anyone interested in the light that hasn't gotten a chance to try one yet.

I know this has been gone over, but it has to be said that the beam pattern from these LEDs and this light is flawless to my eyes. The hotspot has an incredibly smooth transition at the edge, and there is a huge spill around the hotspot.

What I've noticed that surprises me the most is that I believe these lights are coming with 45 degree LEDs, and I originally thought I would prefer the 60 degree option. I thought the 45 degree beam may result in a slightly tunnel vision feeling. It absolutely does not. It very nicely lights whole doorways from pretty close up and whole rooms at distance. This light isn't really meant to throw, but it is actually surprisingly effective at a little distance.

After using the light in several locations and for several use cases from up close illuminating what I'm doing at a desk, to navigating a dark basement, to checking the shed in the backyard from my driveway on the side of the house, I actually don't think that the 60 degree LEDs would be better than the 45s for anything except maybe extreme close up work like under a foot away, and even then, I think the difference in spot size would be negligent at that close of a range. Then anything beyond 3-5 feet or so the 45 degree LEDs show their advantage in throw and light concentration (or candela for the nerds)

This iNova X5 is a winner. In the lights you want me to mod thread I listed the X5 with the Yuji's back in February I believe. I don't know if these came about from that suggestion or not, but I'm sure glad Vin made these.

The iNova X5 is a classic in my mind that comes from a time when incandescent lights like Surefire 6P was still brighter than the up and coming LED technology, which had its advantage in efficiency. It's clear to me that iNova was targeting lights like the Surefire 6P, and it shows in the identical user interface of a momentary only tail button that uses a twisty to turn the light "on". The only difference being the low mode on my light.

This light is sweet. Now to try to figure out a possible pocket clip...

I think you can bend some 1" body type clip to this light and then just glue it? I do it all the time ;-)