Introducing "Draco" - - - PART 2

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh man, it seems like your Draco is really sick pukking fire left and right. It's best to send it back so I can nurse it back to health.

crewcabrob

Newly Enlightened
modamag [b said:
crewcabrob: [/b]Regarding the FluPIC, the trick is to look for the quick blink @ ~1 second after you turn it on. That blink indicate that the current mode is locked in. The next time you turn it on it will be the same state. If you turn it off before that blink the next time you turn it on will the next mode.

sideman7: same recommendation as screwabrob. If I accidentally put too much Krytox lubrication then it would feel loose. Did I buildup too much solder on the + contact of the flupic? It should only be a thin film ~ 0.005-0.010" thick.

It was pilot error all along, I was never waiting for the quick burst in any mode to lock that setting in for the next time it powered up. I think I was getting so caught up in the battery life/consumption that I didn't want to wait that WHOLE second for it to lock. Now that I have been through the battieries another time yesterday, I can see that I really don't need to worry about run time. So, Jonathan, screwcabrob fits right now. :naughty:

It is easily my most used light.

Thanks,

screwcabrob

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone come up with close up side-by-side pics of TICN vs ALTIN? I have seen more altin pics than ticn. I'm having real trouble choosing between these. I know modamag is super-busy, anyone else have a camera and both finishes? Its not an inexpensive investment, so I would like to be sure.
much appreciated

Last edited:

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
TiCN VS Chrome

100_6532Medium.jpg

eltel999

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I've just ordered my Draco Cree XRE :)

Can anyone tell me what the drive current of the flupic is set to for Burst and High?

I've search this thread but I've had no luck so far...

If it's been posted already I'd be grateful if you could point me to the post.

Many thanks,

Terry

Yota

Newly Enlightened
Pumaman said:
Can anyone come up with close up side-by-side pics of TICN vs ALTIN? I have seen more altin pics than ticn. I'm having real trouble choosing between these. I know modamag is super-busy, anyone else have a camera and both finishes? Its not an inexpensive investment, so I would like to be sure.
much appreciated

Someone on here has to have a pic of both!
I would also like to be sure before I order.

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
eltel999 said:
Hi all,

I've just ordered my Draco Cree XRE :)

Can anyone tell me what the drive current of the flupic is set to for Burst and High?

I've search this thread but I've had no luck so far...

If it's been posted already I'd be grateful if you could point me to the post.

Many thanks,

Terry

yes, I am also curious if max is the same as level 10? is level 1 the same as low?

If you can wait, I have a AlTiN on order to go with my TiCN and Dad's Chrome.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
From playing around with my Draco, I can tell you that the preset "low" level is not level 1 on the brightness menu. My guess would be level 2 or 3, as you can clearly tell level 1 is not as bright. In my measurements, the "low" level comes in around ~15 lumens out the front, while level 1 measures out to ~5 lumens.

As for burst(high), I am not sure. I am guessing it must be at least 1amp, as I am measuring ~160 lumens out the front. I wouldn't be suprised if it was set to the normal flupic burst setting of 1.2amps.

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are corrent, Low is not level 1, more like level 2. Burst is limited to less than 700ma for sure. It goes down from there as the battery is drained.

DM51

Flashaholic
The specs say maximum current draw is 350mA, which is 2C for a 10280 cell. If it is 750mA, that is ~4C, which is a lot, not to mention inadvisable (except in very short bursts). Has anyone measured it accurately?

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
The max current is ~650mA mostly dependent on battery condition.
Burst = Level 10.

For the Draco FluPIC v1.0 (shipped with Luxeon) the Low setting was level 3.
For the Draco FluPIC v2.0 (shipped with Cree XRE) the Low setting was level 1 or 2.
The design of Low was to provide sufficient low light setting (5-10 lumens).

As for battery maintenance. I have mine EDC of the same two batteries (specially wrap in Polyimide tape). What I found was if you recharge regularly battery and prevent deep cycle will have a significant impact on extending your battery life.

The current drain have little affect since I use Burst Mode for < 5 minutes @ a time. For longer task such as fixing a water pipe of disassembling my PC. It put it in User Set Mode (Level 4), which actually only consumes 75% less energy.

Oh, just in case you're interested why the high lumen number for such low current level. The secret sauce is the painful LED sorting and QC during the assembly process.

Last edited:

eltel999

Newly Enlightened
modamag said:
The max current is ~650mA mostly dependent on battery condition.
Burst = Level 10.

For the Draco FluPIC v1.0 (shipped with Luxeon) the Low setting was level 3.
For the Draco FluPIC v2.0 (shipped with Cree XRE) the Low setting was level 1 or 2.
The design of Low was to provide sufficient low light setting (5-10 lumens).

As for battery maintenance. I have mine EDC of the same two batteries (specially wrap in Polyimide tape). What I found was if you recharge regularly battery and prevent deep cycle will have a significant impact on extending your battery life.

The current drain have little affect since I use Burst Mode for < 5 minutes @ a time. For longer task such as fixing a water pipe of disassembling my PC. It put it in User Set Mode (Level 4), which actually only consumes 75% less energy.

Oh, just in case you're interested why the high lumen number for such low current level. The secret sauce is the painful LED sorting and QC during the assembly process.

The 650mA drive level and "secret sauce" now explains the high lumens output, superb work Jonathan:twothumbs

I only ordered my Draco six days ago, but I'm already giving my postman a hard time each morning it doesn't arrive!

Kevski

Newly Enlightened
Stupid question here... can any configuration of the Draco be run (in regulation) on AAA primaries (with the extension tube, of course)?

Ice

Enlightened
And one more question (sorry if it has been asked allready, but I didn't find anything really conclusive): Do you tighten the Draco's head or loosen it to turn it off? Thanks!

Ice

Enlightened
Thanks for the answer!
If you have to loosen the head to turn the light off, isn't there the possibility of loosing the head alltogether?
I've once had a similar light (well, of course similar just in that one aspect! :)) and after some time the head was missing and only the battery tube was hanging on my key ring...

ScarabDrowner

Newly Enlightened
well, you don't have to loosen it that far, just until the light goes out. at that point, there are still enough threads holding it in place, and the o-ring helps grip it too. I've never had the head fall off of mine