Introducing the Droid 58 Carabiner

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very original design! Looks great! This will definitely get noticed on the USN. Smart move posting there.

Happy New Year, Dave! :party:

fyrstormer

Banned
Looks cool, but my concern is it can't really be expected to bear its full rated load safely. Climbing carabiners are D-shaped and have hooked gates for a reason, to keep the load and the anchor as close as possible to the side opposite the gate and to keep the gate side from stretching open. I realize this isn't intended for mountain climbing, but in theory it could end up being used to hold something heavy, in which case it may well break.

That being said, where can I buy one? For accessory use only, of course.

Last edited:

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks cool, but my concern is it can't really be expected to bear its full rated load safely. Climbing carabiners are D-shaped and have hooked gates for a reason, to keep the load and the anchor as close as possible to the side opposite the gate and to keep the gate side from stretching open. I realize this isn't intended for mountain climbing, but in theory it could end up being used to hold something heavy, in which case it may well break.

That being said, where can I buy one? For accessory use only, of course.

I rated it at 50 lb so people will know it is not capable of holding 5000 lb. The 50 lb rating has an enormous engineering safety margin factored in.

I will be posting the sales thread in a few days. I am glad you want one, please do not use it for climbing!

Cheers
Dave

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
A superb piece of machining and design! Absolutely beautiful, guys! And good photography skills, as well!:drool::cool:

fyrstormer

Banned
I rated it at 50 lb so people will know it is not capable of holding 5000 lb. The 50 lb rating has an enormous engineering safety margin factored in.

I will be posting the sales thread in a few days. I am glad you want one, please do not use it for climbing!

Cheers
Dave
Well, I guess if 50lbs is the pessimistic estimate, that's fine then. I was concerned it was the realistic or even optimistic estimate, and that in real life it would bend or break under that kind of load.

The Coach

Enlightened
I posted this over on USN too, never posted like that over there before, do not know what to expect! Dave

I think you can expect the same reaction where ever you post it.
drooling_homer-thumb.jpg

:devil: