• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Introducing the Pocket Illuminator - MiniPro Powered AAA Flashlight

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kevin, great job on these. Excellent heatsinking too!

I have used variants of your miniPro on many mods. It's great for shoe-horning into small packages. I also really like the fact that it limits the battery current in boost mode so you are guarenteed reasonable run-times. Those 1000mAh Titanium cells seem to be very good performers.

Cheers,

Paul

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
All Pocket Illuminators are SOLD. Thank you all very much.

Since this is the first group made, your comments and feedback are anticipated here so continuous improvement can take place.

Of course, like all projects, this modification was not without its challenges. I had first thought of offering this as a kit, but cuting down the reflector in the head without special tooling would limit this to only advanced modders.

First, just getting the flashlights apart without leaving marks in the finish was like pulling horse teeth with tweezers. The threads where the battery tube screws into the head were given a generous coating of glue at the factory, which does a great job of bonding the two peices together. But after some effort, a method was worked out to unscrew the flashlights using rubber jaw pliers and the lathe. Some units come apart quite easily, but others require some heat to be applied to loosen the glue enough to come apart. A liitle bit of caution here with regards to heating the flashlight - Ed reported that he tried to boil a flashlight in a plastic baggie to soften the glue, and ended up melting the reflector. So practice caution if you try to use heat; keep it below 212F (100C).

The second challenge is the reflector. The very thick front window and reflector are press fit into the head assembly with about a million pounds of pressure, and as if that wasn't good enough, some form of super duper glue was also used to secure the window in place. Don't even think about removing the front window and reflector, it won't turn out pretty. While the front window is made from some kind of bullet proof plastic, the reflector is made from the softest, most fragile plastic I've ever seen.

The reflector does a great job of focusing the light for having such a small diameter, but the focal point unfortunetly is too far forward for use with a Luxeon LED without trimming some material off the back of the reflector. Trimming the reflector when it cannot be removed from the head, is well, difficult. I found the solution in an old end mill bit that was just the right size to fit into the back of the head. Carefully turning the bit by hand, it was possible to cut just enough material off the back of the reflector to focus with the Luxeon. However, even holding the head assembly upright, flakes of plastic will get inside the reflector. The only way to get the reflector clean again is with compressed air to blow the chips out the small hole in the back of the reflector.

The third and hardest challenge was how to fit a MiniPro converter with heatsink into the same space the stock LED driver board occupied. The stock driver board is only 1/32 inch thick, so a direct swap out is not possible. However, by slimming the height of the MiniPro circuit down by eliminating one circuit board and direct bonding to the heatsink, it was possible to make things fit. The design of the Nuwai also differs from the typical MiniPro application where the heatsink forms the negative contact, but instead the Nuwai brings the negative power contact to bottom of the driver board; the head assembly in the Nuwai is electrically neutral.

This required a new circuit board for the MiniPro converter with the negative and positive contacts on the back side of the circuit board.

Once the new circuit boards were finished, work on the custom heatsink could begin. The heatsink needed to be thin, but also needed to be thick enough to provide descent cooling for the Luxeon LED, and to effectively transfer heat to the flashlight body. Also, since the reflector was trimmed to focus with a Luxeon, there was a little more room available to work with in front of where the stock PCB sat. The result was a heatsink with a 1/32 inch thick flange to allow it to sit where the stock PCB was located, and a thicker part forward of there that would position the Luxeon for proper focus with the modified reflector.

So in the end, these proved to be much harder to build than anticipated; not unheard of :grin2:

Thanks again, and looking forward to your comments when you get these in your hands.

Lambda

Last edited:

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
All orders are packed and will ship Monday. :thumbsup:

Thanks!

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dang those went fast!! I came across this thread last night and thought I'd take a day or two to decide on one and :poof: they're all gone!

It's just as well, I should be saving my money anyway- this addiction can get expensive!

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Darnit, I was waiting for Lambda to introduce these and they sold out quick! I hate not having internet access on the weekends.

NIGHTGUY

Newly Enlightened
Kevin,

Will you be making more of these, especially the 1AAA? I missed out again. I'm sure many more people would like to get them if you have a 2nd run.

James

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
All orders are on their way insured; no worries. :popcorn:

Yes, if enough demand, more could be made.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Dawg

Enlightened
This is a WOW light for sure. I got mine today, a day later than I should have because of an impatient postal worker that could not wait for me to put pants on to answer the door. She obviously did not know what she was missing. I was tempted to chase her down the street in my underwear. I went today and picked it up at the post office.

Anyway, I am flabbergasted. This little AAA absolutely freakin rocks. Thanks Lambda, Thank you, thank you, thank you! Oh, did I say thanks?

It is approaching like 50 lumens with a single AAA. I love it! Did I say Thank you? :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

russtang

Flashlight Enthusiast
I missed out too. I sent an email for confirmation to order by usps money order.

Never heard back.

If these are available again, I would suggest to send PP asap. They went pretty quick.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am interested in both AAA and 2AAA versions...thx!